Megabus US/Canada

aemoreira81

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Do drivers for Megabus and coach Canada from the same pool? Do they get paid the same?

Yes MegaBus Canada is the same pay scale  as Coach Canada, paid by the run based on distance and time. The runs are picked based on seniority, you can sign a line run or go to the charter board 

MegaBus USA is hourly paid and far less than their Canadian counterparts. When I was there some USA operators were being paid 12.00/hr 

23 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Yes MegaBus Canada is the same pay scale  as Coach Canada, paid by the run based on distance and time. The runs are picked based on seniority, you can sign a line run or go to the charter board 

MegaBus USA is hourly paid and far less than their Canadian counterparts. When I was there some USA operators were being paid 12.00/hr 

I used to work at Coach Canada/Megabus 2 years ago,  and from the interactions I had with the American operators when handing over and taking over the double decker bus in Buffalo, the American operators were definitely underpaid, and worked right into the ground too. Seeing the fatigue they experienced,  it surprised me that they managed to make it to Buffalo without having an accident along the way. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

I used to work at Coach Canada/Megabus 2 years ago,  and from the interactions I had with the American operators when handing over and taking over the double decker bus in Buffalo, the American operators were definitely underpaid, and worked right into the ground too. Seeing the fatigue they experienced,  it surprised me that they managed to make it to Buffalo without having an accident along the way. 

Slightly off topic here but we’re they doing teams at the time? as I vividly remember them looking drained as you said but they’d team drive NYC to Buffalo and back and rarely be put up like we were in a hotel. They also weren’t employed by coach USA, they were often a smaller company that bid to get the megabus runs and operate the coaches 

6 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Slightly off topic here but we’re they doing teams at the time? as I vividly remember them looking drained as you said but they’d team drive NYC to Buffalo and back and rarely be put up like we were in a hotel. They also weren’t employed by coach USA, they were often a smaller company that bid to get the megabus runs and operate the coaches 

I do not recall them doing teams. Only one operator for the whole NYC-Buffalo portion.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Megabus is adding additional trips between London and Toronto Union Station effective September 23rd along with an additional stop at the University of Western Ontario. Handy for those looking to head further into London, Ontario with more accessible local transit options. 

Yeah, this is very good news. Western University will be a much better access point than the Flying J.

It looks like Megabus is now operating 4 round trips on the corridor; all seem to be timed to operate London->Toronto->London.

• 3 months later...

I noticed that Megabus is no longer selling tickets in California and Nevada.

There's also some changes to the Chicago-Minneapolis run, which is the sole remaining route in the Midwest. It has been reduced to 4x per week, and the Megabus schedule shows as operated by Van Galder between Chicago and Janesville, WI and by Megabus from there to Minneapolis. Looking at the Van Galder bus schedule it actually looks like it operates as an extension of a regular Van Galder line (Chicago-Rockford-Beloit-Janesville-Madison) to St. Paul and Minneapolis. Notably, the Milwaukee stop is gone from Megabus but Coach USA, Greyhound, and Amtrak provide good connections.

Wisconsin Coach Lines seems to have also picked up some new routes, including Minneapolis-Green Bay-Milwaukee, La Crosse-Milwaukee, Wausau-Janesville, and Janesville-Milwaukee, some of which I believe are state-supported routes.

• 4 weeks later...

Whether it's Megabus, Rider Express, Ontario Northland, or any other that does the Ottawa-Toronto run, two things

1) I hope they add more runs/carrier

2) whom ever it is have better dep/arr times more or less to match what Greyhound schedule prior to covide-19. It was great if you wanted to spend the day in TO

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Megabus extension of the Van Galder service between Janesville, WI and Minneapolis, MN will end service on March 20th, according to ticket availability on Megabus.com.

Van Galder operated trips between Chicago and Madison, WI and state-sponsored routes in Wisconsin operated by Wisconsin Coach Lines are the remaining Midwest Megabus services.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:55 AM, Megabus Rider said:

It's not confirmed but I am hearing the Toronto - NYC service should start in May, not sure if that includes Washington DC.

I heard that as well from someone that works at Ourbus that Roach wants to start back Toronto to NYC around the end of May

3 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

I heard that as well from someone that works at Ourbus that Roach wants to start back Toronto to NYC around the end of May

That's the only problem, no specific date in May was given. I don't reveal my sources but not surprised that Ourbus knows, they know their competitors very well.

With the recent news that fully vaccinated travellers can enter Canada with out a pre test on April 1, could have Megabus operating  as soon as  April. We shall see.

Got word, Megabus starts Toronto - NYC via Albany on May 13 and Toronto - DC via Philly, Harrisburg & State College, also on May 13. The bus seems more friendly after deregulation with Megabus and Ourbus offering new stops that Greyhound and Adirondack Trailways won't offer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Orion 1200 said:

I don't have an explanation, but I do have the schedules through the 25th and the NYC and Washington trips remain suspended.

July 15 is the date. The issue is nobody on the Coach USA side wants to sign up to drive between NYC & Buffalo, and DC & Buffalo. It's working out to Ourbus, Flixbus, Trailways and Greyhound's advantage for now.

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2022 at 9:08 PM, Megabus Rider said:

July 15 is the date. The issue is nobody on the Coach USA side wants to sign up to drive between NYC & Buffalo, and DC & Buffalo. It's working out to Ourbus, Flixbus, Trailways and Greyhound's advantage for now.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/megabus-crash-new-jersey-two-dead-investigation/

Seems to me like Megabus has a bad history of flipping over their busses.  I wonder if there is something about the design of this model that makes it suceptable to flipping over (other than the fact that it is a double decker bus).  I bet combined GO transit does more mileage with their fleet and I cannot recall a single incident where the bus flipped over. 

I wonder if it has to do with maintenance? I have seen some on the road with broken windshields and bald ties. There is no way it would pass a pre-trip inspection, but profit before safety I guess. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I can't comment on GO Transit or Megabus DD bus/coach, but there has been two incidents where OC's DD buses have flip on it side.

1)one just on the Transitway by Woodroff section(don't recall the year)

2)another forgot where exactly or the Year.

Both were driver error from what I recall 

The difference between GO Transit and Megabus clearly is length of time the driver is behind the wheel.   I don't know the facts of the cases, but overnight long distance driving is vulnerable to driver fatigue, and could be a contributing or primary factor in buses running off the road and flipping in 'one vehicle' accidents...

12 hours ago, Shaun said:

I read the linked article, and was wondering why the National Transportation Safety Board, chose not to investigate this accident.  So an online search came up with this explanation which was about an unrelated school bus crash.

https://www.nj.com/news/2018/05/why_the_ntsb_will_not_be_investigating_the_nj_scho.html

From that, it seems the NTSB had already determined the reason for the Megabus accident...

22 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I can't comment on GO Transit or Megabus DD bus/coach, but there has been two incidents where OC's DD buses have flip on it side.

1)one just on the Transitway by Woodroff section(don't recall the year)

2)another forgot where exactly or the Year.

8022 was the first one in December 21, 2012. Second one was 8010 on April 12, 2013. 

Both were along the same stretch of Woodroffe between Nepean Sportsplex and Fallowfield during the morning peak heading towards their start point without passengers on-board.