Megabus US/Canada

aemoreira81

7 hours ago, Articulated said:

Based on how the Toronto-Ottawa departure times are set up, I'm fairly certain that they are basically having one bus start at each end and do a full round trip:

• The Toronto based driver does the first departure at 10:30am, arrives in Ottawa at 3:40pm, departs Ottawa at 4:30pm, and arrives in Toronto at 9:35pm.
  • The Ottawa based driver does the first departure at 10:30am, arrives in Toronto at 3:35pm, departs Toronto at 5:00pm, and arrives in Ottawa at 10:05pm.

This schedule fits the drivers into the 14-hour on-duty window and 13-hour driving time requirements, and allows them to return to their "home base" (meaning CC doesn't need to put the drivers up in a hotel overnight).

@MCIBUS@anyfong This would be why there is no 7am departure - if they had one, it would mean there would be no early evening departure, or drivers would end up exceeding their 14-hour on-duty window waiting around in the opposite city during the middle of the day.

Remember this is also a temporary reduced schedule during the pandemic. More departure times will certainly get opened up, including earlier and later departures, once the pandemic is over. But for now, this is the bare minimum they can run with the least cost involved, and the schedule reflects that to a degree.

Coach Canada doesn't have an Ottawa base yet as far as I know, closest base would be kingston or Montreal

Chances are the driver will stay the night at the WelcomInn like Ontario Northland does or they would have the bus Deadhead from Kingston or even Montreal and do driver swaps in Kingston with the Kingston or Montreal based drivers as they do on the TOR-MTL runs. 

something like MTL-KIN-OTT-KIN-MTL or KIN-OTT-TOR-KIN 

23 hours ago, Articulated said:

Based on how the Toronto-Ottawa departure times are set up, I'm fairly certain that they are basically having one bus start at each end and do a full round trip:

• The Toronto based driver does the first departure at 10:30am, arrives in Ottawa at 3:40pm, departs Ottawa at 4:30pm, and arrives in Toronto at 9:35pm.
  • The Ottawa based driver does the first departure at 10:30am, arrives in Toronto at 3:35pm, departs Toronto at 5:00pm, and arrives in Ottawa at 10:05pm.

This schedule fits the drivers into the 14-hour on-duty window and 13-hour driving time requirements, and allows them to return to their "home base" (meaning CC doesn't need to put the drivers up in a hotel overnight).

@MCIBUS@anyfong This would be why there is no 7am departure - if they had one, it would mean there would be no early evening departure, or drivers would end up exceeding their 14-hour on-duty window waiting around in the opposite city during the middle of the day.

Remember this is also a temporary reduced schedule during the pandemic. More departure times will certainly get opened up, including earlier and later departures, once the pandemic is over. But for now, this is the bare minimum they can run with the least cost involved, and the schedule reflects that to a degree.

Only issue with this is Coach Canada doesn’t follow this rule, their operators are only permitted to operate 10 Hours a day maximum, there is a good chance they will be changing mid route, although it pushes just over the 10hr max this will be the case unless CC changes their policies, I remember many times when I’d be doing a charter from Montreal to Niagara and be pushing the 10hr max rule to the limit. 

hopefully they change to 13 Hours a day, much more opportunities but their reasoning for 10 hours was for safety. hence why buses were governed to 109 for j4500 and 105 for megabus DDs and for their green roads system 

On 5/16/2021 at 9:00 PM, dev161 said:

Coach Canada doesn't have an Ottawa base yet as far as I know, closest base would be kingston or Montreal

Chances are the driver will stay the night at the WelcomInn like Ontario Northland does or they would have the bus Deadhead from Kingston or even Montreal and do driver swaps in Kingston with the Kingston or Montreal based drivers as they do on the TOR-MTL runs. 

something like MTL-KIN-OTT-KIN-MTL or KIN-OTT-TOR-KIN 

And where the Ontario Northland bus parked if they stay the night? Does anyone confirm if Megabus driver will stay one night in Ottawa?

8 hours ago, curlingteam333 said:

And where the Ontario Northland bus parked if they stay the night? Does anyone confirm if Megabus driver will stay one night in Ottawa?

They just park in the hotel lot. If you drive by at night you can often see it there.

Is there any idea why we never see $1 tickets on their Canadian routes? In the US there are sometimes Megabus tickets that are actually $1, not including taxes and fees.

More often than not do we see tickets of upwards of $60 between Toronto and Montreal (even 5 months in advance), and that's well over half the price of Air Transat for the same route before the pandemic.

2 hours ago, anyfong said:

Is there any idea why we never see $1 tickets on their Canadian routes? In the US there are sometimes Megabus tickets that are actually $1, not including taxes and fees.

More often than not do we see tickets of upwards of $60 between Toronto and Montreal (even 5 months in advance), and that's well over half the price of Air Transat for the same route before the pandemic.

That’s because they’re typically bought months in advance, back when I worked there, there was a gentleman who bought 7 months worth of 1$ tickets from Toronto to st Catherine’s. I had asked him how early he bought them, he said normally he would buy them over a year in advance for Monday - Friday ( daily commuter ) 

the Toronto - Montreal line is likely very similar, business travellers will scoop up early and reserve just in case. Many times on the manifest the 1$ reserved seat would not be claimed and it would go to a last minute ticket sale at the terminal 

47 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

That’s because they’re typically bought months in advance, back when I worked there, there was a gentleman who bought 7 months worth of 1$ tickets from Toronto to st Catherine’s. I had asked him how early he bought them, he said normally he would buy them over a year in advance for Monday - Friday ( daily commuter ) 

the Toronto - Montreal line is likely very similar, business travellers will scoop up early and reserve just in case. Many times on the manifest the 1$ reserved seat would not be claimed and it would go to a last minute ticket sale at the terminal 

A year in advance? On their website the bookable dates are usually shown up to 4-5 months in advance, last time I looked it was bookable up to mid-September.

2 hours ago, anyfong said:

A year in advance? On their website the bookable dates are usually shown up to 4-5 months in advance, last time I looked it was bookable up to mid-September.

This was a couple years ago, I’ve since moved onto transit but at the time he stated a year in advance, as it was often a race to get the cheap tickets for commuter runs like that 

Well tommorrow(Thursday May 20/21) is the big day? I wonder how many travelers will take advantage of the free service(not including Taxes & fees?)

Does anyone even know where exactly the stop is at ST Laurent? If it's in the main building(Customer service) not bad in summer, but come winter its cold. If it's near ST Laurent BLD(last bus shelter)then at least its some what warm as the two shelters there have eaters.

19 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Interesting? I'm not sure if just a mistake, but I don't see the $1 Logo on the side of the bus?

The double decks have been going in for progressive refurbishment work... none of them are in "proper" livery anymore. Mostly just blue with minimal Megabus logos.

Correct, however it’s been quite a few years since they were repainted, this unit is a 2012 so it may not have too much left in her anyhow 

ridership going out was about 15 or so, I happened to be pulling into st Laurent as the evening trip was dropping off. That seemed to have 20+ people getting off 

12 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Interesting? I'm not sure if just a mistake, but I don't see the $1 Logo on the side of the bus?

It makes sense to remove the $1 logo because Megabus Canada never sees $1 tickets. Even tickets as far as September costs a minimum of $50. Half the price of a flight ticket in pre-pandemic times.

Ironically, if you take a look at the Megabus office in Montreal at 997 St-Antoine, you'd notice that in the window there it says "Montreal to Toronto, from $10". You read it right, that office is promoting the Megabus service for $10, not $1! You can see that in Google Street View.

Removing the $1 logo means you're not misleading customers with misleading advertising.

• 2 weeks later...

Ontario Northland is the only tenant to use Toronto Coach Terminal now ( and Greyhound US). They will probably move to Union Station in the near future

Coach Canada moving to Union Station

Toronto, ON - Bus Stop Relocation - Effective Tuesday June 8, 2021

Effective Tuesday, June 8th, 2021, the Megabus stop location in Toronto will relocate to the new Union Station Bus Terminal located at the corner of Bay St & Lakeshore Blvd. next to the train station. The location at 610 Bay Street will not be in use from this date.