Megabus US/Canada

aemoreira81

I frequently travel from Toronto to St. Catharines and back every week. And so far i've rode the Megabus one time. It was definitely an interesting experience being at the top. However, i'm a fan of the older buses and it's kind of depressing seeing all these new buses being infiltrated in. One problem i have with the Megabus is there's too much lights inside! There's green lights above you that stay on all the time, and the tv screens stay on the whole trip. Makes it hard to sleep if you're trying to catch a few Zzz's. I don't know why they didn't make them the same as regular buses where you have the option to turn any lights on above you or not....

I frequently travel from Toronto to St. Catharines and back every week. And so far i've rode the Megabus one time. It was definitely an interesting experience being at the top. However, i'm a fan of the older buses and it's kind of depressing seeing all these new buses being infiltrated in. One problem i have with the Megabus is there's too much lights inside! There's green lights above you that stay on all the time, and the tv screens stay on the whole trip. Makes it hard to sleep if you're trying to catch a few Zzz's. I don't know why they didn't make them the same as regular buses where you have the option to turn any lights on above you or not....

Did you ask the driver if he can turn them off?

I think those green lights are activated by the driver. The bus on the way to NYC had them turned off, except for the ones that were near the stairways (for safety I assume). The bus on the way back to Toronto had them all turned on. No TV's either way as well.

-Matt

I think those green lights are activated by the driver. The bus on the way to NYC had them turned off, except for the ones that were near the stairways (for safety I assume). The bus on the way back to Toronto had them all turned on. No TV's either way as well.

-Matt

You could always wear those sleep eye cover thingy's...whatever they are called.

Did you ask the driver if he can turn them off?

No i didn't...i guess i should have. I just figured they were to be on all the time, cause drivers never usually leave lights on while driving...at least during all the times i've been riding.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I thought the reason why they dont run out of the terminal is because of the cost to use the terminal? I thought that they can have such low fares because they dont use the terminal, thus not having to pay the fee?

how come it says M24? and second of all would it ever pass through ottawa??

how come it says M24? and second of all would it ever pass through ottawa??

M24 is the route number for Toronto-New York City.

Trentway-Wagar does not have operating authority through Ottawa for line-run service, so most likely not.

Uwe

The double-deck buses have been less common on the M24 for at least the past month or so - the afternoon runs that stop in Syracuse have typically been either Megabus D4505's or Coach Canada/Trentway MCI's. This may be due to the implementation of the TD925's on the New York-Boston run resulting in a shortage of the larger buses.

I first learned of this during the recent BHA convention in Alberta. An intercity motorcoach guru, told me that this service would be starting shortly.

Coach Canada's website is indicating that is up and running. The only thing is that there is no distinction whatsoever between this and their regular service.

The advertising box simply links to the regular sales site, and there is no indication whatsoever of 'out or terminal' services, or cheaper fares.

The 1$ fare policy, ussually in effect only during the winter seems to be the same as always, and most seats are being offered at 55$, with many 38$ and some 28$ seats for farther ahead booking dates as usual. The schedule is also exactly the same.

From this we can conclude, that Coach Canada is advertising the service, but hasn't actually made any changes or added any service.

In reality, megabus is NOT here, as nothing has changed. They may just be prepping us ahead of time, or be delayed in the service offerings, but nothing has changed as of yet.

Also, my source has told me that service is destined to be hourly between Montreal and Toronto.

IRRC it is also supposed to use Double Deckers, but I cannot confirm this at the moment.

When megabus finally does become a distinct and seperate service, I wonder how this will impact 'regular' Coach Canada service and what changes they will make to their fare structures.

Also, it will be interesting to see who chooses to ride which services after this is complete. And will hourly service really be feasible or even necessary?

The story continues as the buses roll....

I first learned of this during the recent BHA convention in Alberta. An intercity motorcoach guru, told me that this service would be starting shortly.

Coach Canada's website is indicating that is up and running. The only thing is that there is no distinction whatsoever between this and their regular service.

The advertising box simply links to the regular sales site, and there is no indication whatsoever of 'out or terminal' services, or cheaper fares.

The 1$ fare policy, ussually in effect only during the winter seems to be the same as always, and most seats are being offered at 55$, with many 38$ and some 28$ seats for farther ahead booking dates as usual. The schedule is also exactly the same.

From this we can conclude, that Coach Canada is advertising the service, but hasn't actually made any changes or added any service.

In reality, megabus is NOT here, as nothing has changed. They may just be prepping us ahead of time, or be delayed in the service offerings, but nothing has changed as of yet.

Also, my source has told me that service is destined to be hourly between Montreal and Toronto.

IRRC it is also supposed to use Double Deckers, but I cannot confirm this at the moment.

When megabus finally does become a distinct and seperate service, I wonder how this will impact 'regular' Coach Canada service and what changes they will make to their fare structures.

Also, it will be interesting to see who chooses to ride which services after this is complete. And will hourly service really be feasible or even necessary?

The story continues as the buses roll....

DDs are arriving on the property (Malton Yard) in "Mega" blue.

Revised schedule, with some departures hourly, was dropped. It was to have 2 departures and arrivals from Mississauga, via downtown Toronto daily. Initially scheduled for late June.

Kingston has been added as a point of service, although this had been advertised outside of Toronto Coach Terminal, but is now offered on website. Mississauga Fri/Sun departures seem to have been dropped.

Canada's intercity bus industry remains a regulated market, where routes require licensing. TWW will have to continue to service intermediate points.

Uwe

DDs are arriving on the property (Malton Yard) in "Mega" blue.

Revised schedule, with some departures hourly, was dropped. It was to have 2 departures and arrivals from Mississauga, via downtown Toronto daily. Initially scheduled for late June.

Kingston has been added as a point of service, although this had been advertised outside of Toronto Coach Terminal, but is now offered on website. Mississauga Fri/Sun departures seem to have been dropped.

Canada's intercity bus industry remains a regulated market, where routes require licensing. TWW will have to continue to service intermediate points.

Uwe

Yes that's right! I remember hearing that about Mississauga!

This essentially kyboshes the entire plan that Coach Canada had, and is really only a partial rebranding of services.

It's too bad that they didn't forsee this ahead of time, you would think that company who's been in business for so many years, would have seen this coming!

TBH there is no advantage with megabus over regular Coach Canada service, and I would even argue that you are better of taking the regular service.

All of the advatanges that ussually ofset this type service seems to have been twiddled down to a point where the offering is barely different from the current one.

Hopefully they can revive the initial plans later on down the road.

Yes that's right! I remember hearing that about Mississauga!

This essentially kyboshes the entire plan that Coach Canada had, and is really only a partial rebranding of services.

It's too bad that they didn't forsee this ahead of time, you would think that company who's been in business for so many years, would have seen this coming!

TBH there is no advantage with megabus over regular Coach Canada service, and I would even argue that you are better of taking the regular service.

All of the advatanges that ussually ofset this type service seems to have been twiddled down to a point where the offering is barely different from the current one.

Hopefully they can revive the initial plans later on down the road.

Maybee it would have made more sense to sell it as a premium service, rather than as a discount service? A lot of companies in Japan are doing this over routes from Osaka to Tokyo as an alternative to Rail travel and Air Travel. The buses leave and arrive at the same place and the same duration but the perks you get are different. Such as larger seats, full reclining, etc. And some of the buses are even run by the rail company. Thus competing in your own territory against your own services. But apparently there is enough of a market for it.

Toronto- Kingston- Montreal is most likely the most heavily traveled corridor in Canada. I'm sure there is plenty of room for competition. Considering the price of gas today....i would actually contemplate taking the bus, rather than driving. Much less hassle. The train is another option but a bit more expensive, and no overnight runs.

The double-deck buses have been less common on the M24 for at least the past month or so - the afternoon runs that stop in Syracuse have typically been either Megabus D4505's or Coach Canada/Trentway MCI's. This may be due to the implementation of the TD925's on the New York-Boston run resulting in a shortage of the larger buses.

Of course, as soon as I write this, the doubledeckers come back! I haven't seen a single-level bus on either the noon or afternoon runs in the past week.

As noted the double deckers are on site at the Coach Canada yard. Saw DD027 and DD030 in the yard today in the Mega Bus livery as well as five other double deckers in Mega blue but no livery of any kind or licence plates, etc.; just the bus in Mega blue as delivered to Coach Canada. While there is a height difference between the double deckers and the other buses found in the fleet it is not all that significant when you see them parked alongside other buses.

the Vanhool DD buses are arriving into the garage now for inspection, licencing, grooming etc etc as we speak...... hopefully will have them on the road soon between TO-Kingston-Montreal.....the Toronto-NYC megabus you see is Coach USA's but has a Canadian driver to finish the last leg of the relay race.

BTW I'm just wondering, are there any interest to actually see one? I can prob ask my contacts to see if we can arrange something.

• Board Admin
wow ive never really paid attention to those DD.....so i take it they are low floor DD's?? and are those luggage bays over the rear wheels?? very neat looking and not much taller than a MCI E by the looks of it. ;) cool looking bus

You are correct - low floor, and luggage bays over the rear wheels.

A shot or two of the Van Hool Double Deckers and a quick comparison of height taken recently of the Mega Bus units at Coach Canada's yard.These are units delivered to Coach Canada and are not in Mega Bus or Coach Canada livery yet, straight from the manufactuerer. Enjoy.

dcp_1106.jpg

dcp_1105.jpg