Niagara Falls Transit

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Call me a skeptic ... but come on, who came up with these numbers? That would equate to 3.65 million over a year and with only 27 buses that would be next to impossible.

Hamilton carries 21 million per year with 219 buses and our buses have a lot more people on them than some of the WEGO passenger loads that I have seen.

I was there today and many of the Green Line (NPC) buses were standing room only.

One thing that I noticed was the NPC buses had a "conductor" aboard who operated the wheelchair lift, answered riders questions and generaling helped. They sat on the single seat between the driver and the front wheelwell. I wonder if that is a holdover from the second person who was employed in the Orion IV trailers?

Other interesting point not previously mentioned was the 9 Orion IVs and trailers stored at the Rapidsview parking lot.

npc-1.jpgnpc-2.jpgnpc-3.jpgnpc4.jpg

Other interesting point not previously mentioned was the 9 Orion IVs and trailers stored at the Rapidsview parking lot.

Reviewing the photos the withdrawn units are 2, 4, 6, 7, 8 ,9, 10, 11 & 12 which means that 3 with its trailer and 13 were not amongst these withdrawn units.

I was in the Falls today and spent most of the day riding WEGO. Overall, I was reasonably impressed with the operation but would like to see a few improvements.

I really think the Green Line could take a page from TTC's book and supervise the line a little better. In general, buses were running in twos, with one very close behind the other and then a large gap. Passenger loads were very good on the Green Line.

I would think that part of the problem on the green line is that the running times have to be revised. With only one door boarding on the artics, the dwell times seemed to be greater than with the Orion IV buses. Thus overall time appears to be more which would mean more vehicles are needed to provide the same headway as before.

There is also a learning curve for passengers. I got sick of hearing the drivers say "wave your hand at the doors for them to open" because most of the time people just stood there and wondered why the doors were not opening.

The blue and red lines had decent passenger loads when I saw them, but I never saw any standees. For the purple line, with the exception of when the GO train arrived in the morning, most of the rest of the time, there were very small passenger loads.

I think we might end up seeing a reallocation of some of the buses. NPC can really use more artics. NT has 4-5 artics at the garage at any one time from what I saw, even during the so called busy periods. Some of the NT artics should be reassigned to NPC.

Granted, the different specs and interiors would make this hard to do. If my counting was right, I counted 52 seats on the NPC artics and 54 on the NT artics. I did not get to ride any of the 40' buses today although 9010 was in service and had capacity loads most of the time that I saw it. A few shots from today are attached.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

It suggests that the 9 buses and trailers at Rapidsview are up for sale. During the August 2011 Classic charter, the NPC indicated that they would/might/perhaps hold onto a unit as a reserve.

oh, so what's up with the parts being sold... would they not want to hold on to them if they want to keep some back? Ususally when an operator knows that they are selling all of the same type of buses, the parts would be disposed off or in this case put up for sale...

oh, so what's up with the parts being sold... would they not want to hold on to them if they want to keep some back? Ususally when an operator knows that they are selling all of the same type of buses, the parts would be disposed off or in this case put up for sale...

NPC have been operating 11 buses and are keeping the 2 best. They wouldn't need all of the spares that they have on hand.

Not sure who they think might be interested in the buses, they don't have heaters for winter operations. Perhaps somewhere like Cuba?

NPC have been operating 11 buses and are keeping the 2 best. They wouldn't need all of the spares that they have on hand.

Not sure who they think might be interested in the buses, they don't have heaters for winter operations. Perhaps somewhere like Cuba?

Cuba, The Carribean, Africa, South Asia... who knows? lol I would think the area scrap companies would be the high bidders for the buses. Off to the crusher they go! lol

Question about the WEGO 2-day pass: Does the pass have to be used in two consecutive days, or can it be used in two separate days (say tomorrow and some day in October)?

One would have to buy it and read the conditions. I would imagine it would be 2 consective cuz it's meant for people vacationing at the falls.

Cuba, The Carribean, Africa, South Asia... who knows? lol I would think the area scrap companies would be the high bidders for the buses. Off to the crusher they go! lol

Based on the fact the Orion IVs are powered by propane (an uncommon fuel choice, even moreso for buses) and they are between 20 and 26 years old, they'll go to the scrap heap unless someone wants to get one for preservation purposes (and fill it up at their local Costco?).

One would have to buy it and read the conditions. I would imagine it would be 2 consective cuz it's meant for people vacationing at the falls.

Someone else already answered the question nearly two hours ago above you, and you reply with a response indicating you don't know the answer. Why bother responding at all?

I have had problems with the board not fully downloading, hence some posts end up being missing or I'll get an error message. I just reset my router and my internet works fine. Other times I'll be unable to get the home page which displays a message that there is something wrong with my SQL Server.

Propane is hard to get in Cuba, Most likey its going to the scraper.

Question about the WEGO 2-day pass: Does the pass have to be used in two consecutive days, or can it be used in two separate days (say tomorrow and some day in October)?

The conditions printed on the back of the card read.

"This card will be activated when first scanned on a WEGO bus and is then valid for rides for 48 hours only. Provides two days WEGO bus travel on all WEGO bus lines for one () adult.

Enjoy your visit to Niagara Falls, Canada"

The brochure states "Ride WEGO for two full days..................................."

So it should be valid for example from Friday noon to Sunday noon.

WEGO news...one-day passes are now available for $7 and child for $4; artic 5206 still hasn't entered service; and anybody's guess where the hell they'll find room, but the NPC units are supposed to be stored in the NFT compound this coming winter

I was wondering when the day pass would be available.......now it's convienient

• 2 weeks later...

Question! When a WEGO bus is on the Red Line and show a red destination sign, doesn't that violate the HTA by casting red light to the front despite not being an emergency vehicle? :P

Yes, the BLUE LINE is also in violation as it is not a snow plow.... I know one driver refuses to put the signs up and uses the former "falls shuttle" signage

Why is Niagara Falls Transit one of the only transit systems in Ontario not to have automated stop announcements? Was that not mandated by that lawsuit where the handicapped people won and it became law that they must call out all stops?

There's still several transit systems in Ontario without AAs. Out of the top of my mind right now: Burlington, Oakville, Durham Region, and Barrie.

There's still several transit systems in Ontario without AAs. Out of the top of my mind right now: Burlington, Oakville, Durham Region, and Barrie.

I am pretty sure Burlington and Barrie has AA. A city like Niagara Falls should have AA because of all the tourists.