Niagara Falls Transit

BCT-3122-D800-10240

5 hours ago, 2044 said:

Saw Niagara Falls first generation Orion VII in Toronto’s Port Lands this afternoon. Too far to see a number.

That'd be 2471, privately owned 

It was running around Toronto today

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

There is a Niagara Region Transit 2011 XD40 at the Niagara Falls Transit garage. I dont know if its been always parked there but i'd thought i should report this.

What was the fleet number?  Only two garages that had 2011 XD40 were Welland and St.Catherine’s. 

either be 1140-1142  or 1150-1251

37 minutes ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

There is a Niagara Region Transit 2011 XD40 at the Niagara Falls Transit garage. I dont know if its been always parked there but i'd thought i should report this.

Possibly lent to them. I'm thinking it's likely 1150 or 51

• 3 weeks later...

Niagara has posted a tender for refreshment and refurbishment of Nova LFS buses.

WEGO branded units 5301-5305 (40' LFX) will receive a "refreshment" consisting of exterior body work, new livery decals, interior flooring and seating replacement, and minor mechanical work.

WEGO branded units 5201-5211 (60' LFX) will receive the same "refreshment" as 5301-5305, but in addition have the articulation joint overhauled.

Niagara Falls 1396-1397 (40' LFS) will receive a full refurbishment consisting of the same "refreshment" items as 5301-5305 but in addition receive major mechanical work such as engine and transmission replacement, axle/suspension work, alternator replacement, and other tasks.

The full scope of work for each subfleet can be found at https://niagarafalls.ca/pdf/tenders/2200/appendix-f-price-form.pdf

Tender closes on October 20 and there is a clause stating that the bidder must be within 150km driving distance from the NFT garage, that the buses must be driven and any bidders farther than this will not be considered. 

https://niagarafalls.ca/pdf/tenders/2200/rfp22-2022-refresh-refurbishment-of-transit-buses-nova-40-60-.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, FlyerD901 said:

Interesting that they kept there S50 Orion in service and TTC got rid of theirs. 

Niagara is a much smaller system and are definitely in no hurry to replace their Orion VII's. They are slowly being retired from service.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, G.A said:

Niagara is a much smaller system and are definitely in no hurry to replace their Orion VII's. They are slowly being retired from service.

But I thought TTC for rid of theirs because of the environment concerns of the S50 engine. And seeing Niagara still having theirs in service made me question it. I guess TTC got rid of the 7400s for other reasons like funding. 

Niagara being smaller wasn't why I questioned it. 

TTC got rid of their EGR VIIs because the ministry warned TTC about their emission issues and that was also the time when our lfs diesels were brand new  and still being delivered so they decided it would be easier to retire them all and replace them with more novas

On 1/31/2023 at 10:31 AM, Articulated said:

I don't believe those numbers are accurate, retirements have been happening fairly quickly 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Toro said:

TTC got rid of their EGR VIIs because the ministry warned TTC about their emission issues and that was also the time when our lfs diesels were brand new  and still being delivered so they decided it would be easier to retire them all and replace them with more novas

I don't believe those numbers are accurate, retirements have been happening fairly quickly 

I just found it interesting that the Niagara S50 orion's lasted much longer considering they have the same engine. That what I was questioning. 

Unless the info and spec is wrong. I thought the S50 was no longer longer available after 2005. I'm seeing 2007 models with S50 engines in Niagara. 

2 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

I just found it interesting that the Niagara S50 orion's lasted much longer considering they have the same engine. That what I was questioning. 

Unless the info and spec is wrong. I thought the S50 was no longer longer available after 2005. I'm seeing 2007 models with S50 engines in Niagara. 

I am sure they were either part of a committed order or just added by mistake. With Niagara's system and not being as busy as the TTC. They would have spent the time working on them proper. I do notice smaller systems take great pride in taking care of their fleets compared to the much larger sized fleets.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, G.A said:

I am sure they were either part of a committed order or just added by mistake. With Niagara's system and not being as busy as the TTC. They would have spent the time working on them proper. I do notice smaller systems take great pride in taking care of their fleets compared to the much larger sized fleets.

Im sure smaller system take more pride in the fleet. But TTC S50 also had a design flaw from the manufacturer, so it had nothing to do with pride or maintenance. I believe Detroit Diesel paid out TTC untill the 10 year mark, when at that point TTC was told of emission issues. Seeing Niagara with S50 engine still running, my only guess is they had a better product from Detroit engine. 

12 hours ago, G.A said:

Harder to justify throwing good money after bad when you have 500 of them.

• 3 weeks later...

With the recent retirement of Stratford Transit's LFS #9764 (formerly HSR), it would appear #2368 (an Orion VII built in December 2003) stands out to be the oldest active bus in service in this province. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Fort Erie Transit has one ex-Fort McMurray D40LF built in May 2003 owned by TOK, although they operated as an on-demand service since 2021. Let’s hope #2368 may last to the end.

2 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

With the recent retirement of Stratford Transit's LFS #9764 (formerly HSR), it would appear #2368 (an Orion VII built in December 2003) stands out to be the oldest active bus in service in this province. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Fort Erie Transit has one ex-Fort McMurray D40LF built in May 2003 owned by TOK, although they operated as an on-demand service since 2021. Let’s hope #2368 may last to the end.

Fort Erie only has Dodge Caravans now as they went to full on Demand. Not sure when the 2003 D40LFs in Mississauga or the 2003 LFS in Peterborough were built.