Grey Goose

Hi everyone. I live in Winnipeg and am new to these forums. I have taken photos of Cornwall and Mississauga Transit as well as Winnipeg Transit and any motorcoaches I see. I am also a license plate collector, so I try to understand how buses are plated and to take closeup photos of the plates whenever possible. My speciality is Apportioned (or PRP) bus plates, with special focus on Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, Maryland, Vermont, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania.

Anyway, one of my recent projects has been to photograph and document the disappearance of Grey Goose. So, does anyone out there have some decent photos of these buses that they could post here? I have gone out a few times myself to try and photograph them but there are no guarantees. Most of the time here in Manitoba we see Greyhound stuff. GG is getting rare.

• Board Admin

First off, welcome aboard! :P Not sure if you are too interested in the Alberta transit system way of doing bus plates - they are just regular vehicle license plates with a black Fleet PR sticker, rather than the yearly colored ones. Some of Edmonton's have been replaced 3 times over, if not more...

Here's a shot of 240:

greygoose240.jpg

I have a picture of a retired Grey Goose MC-9, 21x I think, here in the Edmonton area. I'll post it for you when I get home.

Thanks very much for the response, A Wong. LOVE the photo. Was that taken in Edmonton? I didn't think GG strayed far from MB, though our (ex-GH) 1063-65 now have Alberta plates as do several of our GG Parcel Express trailers.

Also, thanks for the tip about the plates on transit buses. I never knew those "FLEET PR" stickers were used thusly; I've only ever seen them on rental cars.

• Board Admin

That photo was actually taken in Toronto.

Those Fleet Prorated can be found on rental cars, emergency vehicles, buses, commercial trucks, and pretty much anything fleet wise including snowmobiles/quads/motorcycles. Not sure what the minimum number of vehicles is to get those stickers though.

• Board Admin

There isn't any roster that I know of.

Here's a shot of 227 from www.barp.ca

0227.jpg

As you may know, its sisters 224-226 got leased and then taken over by Greyhound.

Here is a shot of 251 I forgot I had! It is seen inside the Greyhound depot in downtown Edmonton:

greygoose251r.jpg

And those MC-9s I thought were Grey Goose actually are probably Gray Line coaches. Here's one of the shots of 215 that I thought was Grey Goose's:

grayline215ex.jpg

I know all those companies were/are owned by Laidlaw, but maybe those MC-9s were once owned by Grey Goose. 212 doesn't have any name on the side but 213 has Gray Line on the side.

I remember seeing 212 and 213 in Victoria a few times when I worked for Gray Line there at the time, they had "NORTHLAND" on the side... I remember they ran up in Northern BC so I rarely saw them..... Saw 236 last week parked here in Edmonton at our yard.. Usually see Geese a few times a month or every couple months, usually in the busy season, long weekends and what have ya... There are a few marked "GG" in Winnipegs fleet allocation.... Haven't had a chance to swipe a copy of the fleet allocation, but it only shows WPG, EDM and VAN....

I remember seeing 212 and 213 in Victoria a few times when I worked for Gray Line there at the time, they had "NORTHLAND" on the side... I remember they ran up in Northern BC so I rarely saw them..... Saw 236 last week parked here in Edmonton at our yard.. Usually see Geese a few times a month or every couple months, usually in the busy season, long weekends and what have ya... There are a few marked "GG" in Winnipegs fleet allocation.... Haven't had a chance to swipe a copy of the fleet allocation, but it only shows WPG, EDM and VAN....

Here is a photo of #212 taken in Nanaimo in January 2004 in Nanaimo, B.C. with Northland decalled onto the coach.

212left.jpg

That brings back memories.. Stiff clutch pedals on those.. Service people hated taking those through the brushes... But yeah, that's what I was talkin about... Were those running with Grey Goose at some point?? Also, what exactly IS "NORTHLAND" The only time I've seen "Northland" on any bus was on those units...

Wow this is some pretty cool stuff you guys are showing. That Northland bus has the same Laidlaw stripes at the top that are still found on GG 345 today.

Thanks for all the responses, keep 'em coming.

That brings back memories.. Stiff clutch pedals on those.. Service people hated taking those through the brushes... But yeah, that's what I was talkin about... Were those running with Grey Goose at some point?? Also, what exactly IS "NORTHLAND" The only time I've seen "Northland" on any bus was on those units...

Yes, 212 and 213 are both Ex-Grey Goose units - I believe from Winnipeg.

• Board Admin

Ashton is it getting to the point where Luciak has more buses in storage/for parts then they have in service?
I haven't actually counted but they have more in-service units from what I can see. There are quite a number of older parts buses though. And they have their own older units sitting around too.

I haven't actually counted but they have more in-service units from what I can see. There are quite a number of older parts buses though. And they have their own older units sitting around too.

They seem very lucky to have all that space to keep parts units around! National Coach here in Calgary is a lot like Luciak in that regard. All sorts of stuff that doesn't even seem to be needed anymore too!

Any more nice 102DL3 photos out there? I especially like the latest scheme with the GH swoosh but with GG goose and lettering like on 251 shown above. I sure hate to see those go. They look very good.

• Board Admin

I think those are pretty rare too. 245 is another bus that carries that scheme. www.movingwheels.com has a photo but it is down. Not sure if I am allowed to repost it here. ;)

Here are a couple of shots by Martin Parsons:

greygoose254.jpg

greygoose254-2.jpg

And more by Kevin Lo:

greygoose_250.jpg

greygoose_250rear.jpg

greygoose_255.jpg

greygoose_255-2.jpg

http://www.kevinsbusrail.com/other_mci.html

And those are the only shots of that scheme I know are in existence. :lol: Photos of other older units can be found on Busdrawings.com at http://busdrawings.com/coach/greygoose/index.htm

OK.. I'll give you the unit numbers of the units in Winnipegs Greyhound fleet which are listed as assigned to "GGL"

229 (102C3SS)

236 (H3-40)

236 (H3-40)

243 (H3-40)

250 (102DL3)

251 (102DL3)

252 (102DL3)

253 (102DL3)

254 (102DL3)

255 (102DL3)

256 (102DL3)

257 (102DL3)

344 (102DL3)

345 (102DL3)

346 (102DL3)

347 (102DL3)

398 (TRANSIT)

399 (TRANSIT)

Hope it's somewhat useful.. It's the only thing I can get my hands on at this point in time..

Thanks mc! I guess I am still missing a few. Of course, your list doesn't account for GG units assigned to other areas, such as EDM which has 1063-65. But I can't imagine there are many of these.

Has anyone considered painting and decalling one of those Corgi 102DL3s for Grey Goose? I don't believe Corgi ever released that bus in Grey Goose and I have no way of knowing if they ever will. So in the meantime I was thinking of painting my own and having some decals made based on photos. As such, I have a blurry roof shot of 1065 and it shows a completely white roof. Does anyone have any other roof shots of these buses that could help in a possible future modelling effort? A Wong? lol

• Board Admin

If they are consistent with Greyhound's sweep schemes, then I believe the roof is all white. :)

The older scheme had the red and blue continue on the roof. On the newer DL3s (non-silver sided) the stripes didn't go all the way across the roof, but on the silver sided ones it appears they did.

Thanks mc! I guess I am still missing a few. Of course, your list doesn't account for GG units assigned to other areas, such as EDM which has 1063-65. But I can't imagine there are many of these.

Has anyone considered painting and decalling one of those Corgi 102DL3s for Grey Goose? I don't believe Corgi ever released that bus in Grey Goose and I have no way of knowing if they ever will. So in the meantime I was thinking of painting my own and having some decals made based on photos. As such, I have a blurry roof shot of 1065 and it shows a completely white roof. Does anyone have any other roof shots of these buses that could help in a possible future modelling effort? A Wong? lol

I believe Royal Coach at one point has some all white Corgi DL3's. Would be a good starting point.

I would recommend getting your hands on a plastic DL3 model and practice with that first!

Thanks Martin! I did not realize they had them in all white. If that's true then my job will be a snap. I'll look into this. I don't suppose you know if anyone has ever made Grey Goose decals for the Corgi model eh?

As far as practice, I have at least 15 years of it in the model rr rhealm. I run a website about CP Rail SD40-2s and have modelled enough of those to last me a lifetime. I could only wish all of my projects were as easy as applying some decals. :)