BC Transit vehicle on loan to Translink during 2010 Olympics

Probably it's too early to talk about this now, but I have rumours that BC Transit vehicle(including double deckers) will be on loan to Vancouver during the 2010 olympic games, is this true? How many buses will be loaned to Vancouver and will Vancouver getting extra buses to serve the demand at that time, besides the new sky-train line opening next year? Thank you

I've also heard the same rumor but I think some of it is true.

Now before anyone says "Double deckers cannot run it Vancouver because of the trolley wires" I'm going to point out that Grey Line runs double decker buses through the downtown core, there maybe some places were wires sag and that might restrict the buses to anyone route. Also I believe someone watched a DD coming to the CUTA conference in 2005 (or was it 2006?) and said it cleared the wires.

I hope so, but I can't figure it out which route can use double decker?? I know that SFU absolutely cannot use the double decker due to the underpass nearby University Drive~~

How bout one from the ferries going into downtown... That would make sense wouldn't it??

I am sure TL would be wide enough to not drive the top off a trolley bus so let's just think rationally before this turns into a long winded discussion of what potential roujtes a double decker could or could not run on - none of us have the information required to make anything beyond speculation; not that speculation isn't worth discussing in itself.

On the factual side of things, SFU has already been informed there will be a very sharp reduction in transit services during the Olympics for vehicle redeployment.

How bout one from the ferries going into downtown... That would make sense wouldn't it??

I don't think so, the majority barrier for this route is the height restriction at George Massey Tunnel have only 4.1m, and those deckers have over 4.2m, so therefore it can't pass thru to the tunnel as well~~

I don't think so, the majority barrier for this route is the height restriction at George Massey Tunnel have only 4.1m, and those deckers have over 4.2m, so therefore it can't pass thru to the tunnel as well~~

Make it fit?? lol.. There goes that idea... Though in theory it would've made sense to me, but of course I don't know the clearances off hand... Back to the drawing board I guess...

• 2 months later...
Probably it's too early to talk about this now, but I have rumours that BC Transit vehicle(including double deckers) will be on loan to Vancouver during the 2010 olympic games, is this true? How many buses will be loaned to Vancouver and will Vancouver getting extra buses to serve the demand at that time, besides the new sky-train line opening next year? Thank you

I thought they were going to be used for a service between North Van and Whistler. Also I was told that all 51 double deckers from Victoria will be used. Which means we will suffer for two weeks for transit capacity. It seems that the railway GOING THE SAME WAY will not be utilized for the Olympics, which is a shame. If there is going to be one legacy we will get from the Olympics in 2010, it will be the poor and misguided transportation planning that has gone into preparing for the Olympics.

I have a feeling that the transportation network in Vancouver during the games will be a nightmare. Already they are having problems on the Sea to Sky highway with landslides. So any bus service to Whistler is going to be questionable.

I have a feeling that the transportation network in Vancouver during the games will be a nightmare. Already they are having problems on the Sea to Sky highway with landslides.

Despite the fact that I work in the industry... I hope that happens again. I really do. It would be righteous...

Despite the fact that I work in the industry... I hope that happens again. I really do. It would be righteous...

I guess that you'll be celebrate if that does happened. I do have concern as well but I'm leaving that aside.

Seing the number of vehicles needed for 2 weeks, this is going to be a very challenging. In Utah, they've borrowed few transit buses during the 2002 games and the examples are SF MUNI and WMATA in Wash. DC.

I thought they were going to be used for a service between North Van and Whistler. Also I was told that all 51 double deckers from Victoria will be used. Which means we will suffer for two weeks for transit capacity. It seems that the railway GOING THE SAME WAY will not be utilized for the Olympics, which is a shame. If there is going to be one legacy we will get from the Olympics in 2010, it will be the poor and misguided transportation planning that has gone into preparing for the Olympics.

I was looking at the rail as well for another possible way to transport, but with the stream constant of frequent service to and from Whistler, there's no way as it only runs on a single rail and it's not a direct access to Whistler.

Seing the number of vehicles needed for 2 weeks, this is going to be a very challenging. In Utah, they've borrowed few transit buses during the 2002 games and the examples are SF MUNI and WMATA in Wash. DC.

UTA in Utah also borrowed light rail vehicles from Dallas for the 2002 games.

I have not yet heard if Translink will test one as they do not having the fueling facilities.

There is a quasi-public fueling facility available at 2600-block of Dollarton Highway in North Vancouver.

I was looking as well for another possible way to transport, but with the stream constant of frequent service to and from Whistler, there's no way as it only runs on a single rail and it's not a direct access to Whistler.

Yes, exactly. The railway doesn't actually run into Whistler. The closest it comes (more or less) is Squamish I believe, so regardless, some sort of bus service would be required.

The current, mainly single track, line would need a major capacity upgrade. Ideally dual tracks, but at least more passing sidings. When the line is already sqeezed in between the ocean and the mountains, I don't know how easily that could be accomplished.

Further, while rail transport could be an option, the long term benefits of higher capacity rail line vs. a twined highway are few. The rail line does not needed any added capacity I don't believe, and certainly regular passenger service is not required. So, a better highway is probably the best option. One of the few times I would say that!

Yes, exactly. The railway doesn't actually run into Whistler. The closest it comes (more or less) is Squamish I believe, so regardless, some sort of bus service would be required.

The current, mainly single track, line would need a major capacity upgrade. Ideally dual tracks, but at least more passing sidings. When the line is already sqeezed in between the ocean and the mountains, I don't know how easily that could be accomplished.

Further, while rail transport could be an option, the long term benefits of higher capacity rail line vs. a twined highway are few. The rail line does not needed any added capacity I don't believe, and certainly regular passenger service is not required. So, a better highway is probably the best option. One of the few times I would say that!

And the majority of people do driving mostly. Rocky Moutaineeer only does one service a day and that's basically from spring to fall. No winter service due to heavy amounts of snow and tourist.

sad... and they said that they would use the railway... now to do something else... >.> it's like having a hidden agenda or something... then again it's probably their unpreparedness... >.< oh well.

- Allan Kuan

It's not sad, it's just impossible. Even the IOC was concern about their transportation mode between Van-Whistler before winning the bid.

Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

And the majority of people do driving mostly. Rocky Moutaineeer only does one service a day and that's basically from spring to fall. No winter service due to heavy amounts of snow and tourist.

Rocky Mountaineer does one train each way each day because it is a tourist service. The line could handle many more trains despite being predominently single track for a majority of the way. Snow does not impact operations in this area for the most part because of not particularly high snowfall levels and also because snow clearing technology has more than caught up with the weather in this area. Don't forget just five years ago the North Van - Whistler portion of the line would see 20 or so trains a day in the summer, with four scheduled passenger trains traveling at least a part of the Squamish subdivision.

The line was successfully tested with commuter-style (WCE) cars for potential use during the Olympics, but the powers that be decided it was not to be done for a few reasons, mostly related to current maintenance of the line and availability of equipment to operate, not the reasons that have been listed in this thread; this is heavy rail class 1 mainline we're talking about, not some wonderous third class shortline.