Buurin

Lego Bus Thread

Those of you who read the Wilson Bus thread in GTA forum know I'm building a 1:16 scale model of TTC 79XX, and there're at least two other fellow members that build buses with Lego as well (you know who you are :lol: ). So I might as well start a thread and put everything about building Lego bus models in one place.

So any of you that do Lego and buses, post away!

Yaaaa :lol:

I am going to rebuild my YRT VI very soon...it's too long and tall for 8-wide. I will attempt converting it to 10 wide (and back to the annoyingness of finding white plates >_<)

Yaaaa ;)

I am going to rebuild my YRT VI very soon...it's too long and tall for 8-wide. I will attempt converting it to 10 wide (and back to the annoyingness of finding white plates >_<)

Just back from Brickshelf.

Yup, about 7 studs too long and 5 plates too high, :P and apparently too low ground clearance too. :lol:

Oh well this is Lego and imagination is king. :lol:

I guess you just worked with your bus pictures when building this?

Also what did you use to produce these stickers?

Also, get a dozen train windows. The VI will look much nicer with them.

Yep, I plan to get some of them train windows.

For the decals, I used Adobe Illustrator for the designs, and printed them on regular white paper (they're cheaply glued on)

[Edit] I was bored one day, so made a GO D4500 for Factory.

Costs $80.60 >_>

And - SPC96E working on shop.lego.com to bring up loads of savings :lol:

SPC96E's dead now :lol: but SPC96F works ;D

Yes, I have a Lego bus at home as well. I built an Orion V. I built it to show my gf's kid brother what he can do with his legos and win my gf heart lol. I also use train windows as well. I was a Lego Club member so I was able to order the train windows through the Lego Catelog. I can make the the front wheel turn left or right using helicopter rotar parts. Since I was cheap, I used mega block helicopter parts.

After a long wait (I had to find my pictures :)) here are some of my creations, enjoy!

Remember, my buses are not models of any bus, nor do they comply to any scale, however all my recent designs have been 4 studs wide.

HF Artic, now retired

dsc02833.jpgdsc02846.jpg

LF Minibus

dsc02834.jpg

dsc02835.jpg

dsc02836.jpg

40' LF

dsc02839.jpg

dsc02840.jpg

dsc02841.jpg

40' HF

dsc02842.jpg

dsc02843.jpg

After a long wait (I had to find my pictures :lol:) here are some of my creations, enjoy!

Remember, my buses are not models of any bus, nor do they comply to any scale, however all my recent designs have been 4 studs wide.

Odd fleet indeed.

Before I know myself for sure to be both a bus and Lego fan (ie. when I was little), I used to have built two copies of a sort of original Lego busfor my little town. It was blue, high floor, 24 studs long times 4 studs wide, open top and looks like a very long pickup truck. That was very easy to remember and build. I'll see if I can remember enough to make a model to show.

Other buses in my portfolio include 6-stud double decker and 8-stud buses with huge wheels...

Of course now I do much larger scales.

When I was young and we first started getting Low Floors I attempted one by Lego and by the time I made it, it was high enough to consider a High Floor :lol:

Your picture is partially corrupted, Alex.

Anyways, here are the other two buses of my 4 stud fleet.

[Click on photo for full size :)]

42' LF

dsc06639.jpg_thumb.jpg

dsc06640.jpg_thumb.jpg

80' DF (Dual Floor - LF until first artic joint, HF for the rest)

dsc06641.jpg_thumb.jpg

dsc06642.jpg_thumb.jpg

And my first creation in Denny's 8 stud scale: A 30' HF! :blink: It has 12 passenger seats, with two working doors. I tried to make windows like those of the Orion VII with the black around them. Enjoy!

dsc06643.jpg_thumb.jpg

dsc06644.jpg_thumb.jpg

dsc06645.jpg_thumb.jpg

dsc06646.jpg_thumb.jpg

If I am going to build any more 8 stud models, then I will have to disassemble the 80' DF and the 40'LF, as they are consistent in colour, and I like my lego models to have uniform colour schemes.

My measurements (for bus length) are based on the height of a lego figure being 5'5" in 8 stud.

I shall post more pics later once I have more time.

You didn't let the file finish uploading =/ that's why it's sorta corrupted.

Plans to complete the V fleet with a possible TTC V :) Double rear doors are messing my plans up though >_<

SNOT [studs-Not-On-Top] is a method of building, where the person uses the "dots" or studs in a way so they aren't facing up. Basically, if your studs are sideways or upside-down, or even diagonal, it's considered SNOT.

Still under construction, my new longer 8 stud model.

[Click on photo for full size]

dsc06806.jpg_thumb.jpg

dsc06808.jpg_thumb.jpg

dsc06809.jpg_thumb.jpg

How long should a 40 footer be in 8 stud?

you are looking at 150 stub

...???

How long should a 40 footer be in 8 stud?

I'm guessing around 38-39 studs long, because my VI was 7 studs too long, but I'm not sure if it's 45 or 46 studs long.

...???

I'm guessing around 38-39 studs long, because my VI was 7 studs too long, but I'm not sure if it's 45 or 46 studs long.

based on the assumption you want to the bus to be in proper scale

40 foot =12 meter

each stub is 1 cm.

iirc 1 meter=100 cm

12m*100cm/8stub=150 stub

I may be wrong as I haven't done this type of calcuation for a while now.

Edit: I just realize I made a calculation error. I will post the correct solution later.

you need 150 stub if you want to create a 1:8 scale bus

based on the assumption you want to the bus to be in proper scale

40 foot =12 meter

each stub is 1 cm.

iirc 1 meter=100 cm

12m*100cm/8stub=150 stub

I may be wrong as I haven't done this type of calcuation for a while now.

Edit: I just realize I made a calculation error. I will post the correct solution later.

you need 150 stub if you want to create a 1:8 scale bus

okay after conducted a little research... Here is the correct answer

1 inche=2.54 cm

the width of the bus is 102.3 inches

(102.3*2.54)/8 cm or 8 stub=32.48 (so the lego bus is about 1:32 scale)

1200/32=37.5 stub or 38 stub if you round it up.

For reference, my 1:16 scale model is supposed to be 95 studs. (nitpicking I know :lol:)

By the way, stage three progress pics up:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=125107

This time I separated chassis from shell so I have a solid ground (my desk) to build the latter on.

I just placed an order with Lego for more roof tiles aka slopes, and SPC96F doesn't work either. <_<

Free shipping over $99 until 11/30.