Edmonton Emergency Services

Is there a way I can look at the new dispatch protocols?

I don't know if there is anywhere to look at them.

The old way used to be 2 pumps 1 ladder 1 rescue to alarms calls, add an ambulance for a structure fire call in a single family dwelling

new way is 3 pumps 1 ladder 1 rescue and add the ambulance for a fire

Old way for anything bigger then a single family dwelling was 3 pumps 2 ladders 1 rescue 1 tanker for alarms and add a ambulance for a structure fire

New way is 3 pumps 1 ladder 1 rescue 1 tanker add an ambulance and second ladder for confirmed working fire.

the old way put ladder 5 first or second due to the whole north side of the city except the extreme west end. It had its first due and ran second with ladder 2 downtown, and with ladder 7 to the east end and ladder 8 in the northwest.

Ladder 8 moved to become Ladder 10 and took a very big chunk of Ladder 5's northern response area. Ladder 5 now only goes north of probably 118 ave as the second due ladder, it used to go to the city limits as first due.

Thanks lfdlt17, Make's sense that they would only call in a second ladder if there was a confirmed fire. I'm wondering if they considered having a ladder at 25. I know about a decade and a half ago 17 had a white elephant.

I would think that 25 would be the next logical choice for a ladder. Its a long haul for 7 or 10 to be the first due ladder for a fire in the 25 area. I dont know how much 17 will need a tanker for, they seem to becoming more urban and less wildland, so maybe Tanker to 27 and Ladder at 17. Also a tanker might go in the new Big Lake fire hall when it gets built and put a ladder at 17. They obviously planned to expand 25 beyond just a pump. Its a 3 bay fire hall after all.

Yeah 17 used to have a quint. I remember back in the day when 10 had a rescue and 18 had an aerial.

Is the City serious???

Edmonton ambulances get speed warning

Last Updated: Friday, December 24, 2010 | 5:19 PM MT Comments177Recommend87

CBC News

Alberta Health Services says time is crucial in only a fraction of EMS calls. (CBC)

Edmonton's paramedics have been told to slow down and are getting tickets for speeding.

A memo sent by Alberta Health Services to Emergency Medical Services workers on Wednesday directed drivers "to respond within the posted speed limits even when responding with lights and siren."

"It just doesn't make a lot of sense," said Elisabeth Ballermann, president of the Health Sciences Association of Alberta, which represents EMS workers.

The union leader said the policy doesn't respect the experience and judgment of those behind the wheel and could end up costing lives.

"So, what, I'm called to a call where a child is choking, and because I can't go past 50 kilometres an hour, I make way for the fire engine who is going to get there before the trained paramedics?" asked Ballermann.

Drivers ticketed: union

"EMS staff is encourage to stay within the posted speed limits as much as possible," said AHS spokeswoman Sheila Rougeau.

"Our job is to save lives, not put them in jeopardy. And we know when we're driving at high speeds and darting through traffic … there is a higher risk of collisions."

AHS clarified the memo Friday, saying it was OK for drivers — in some instances and when it's safe — to break the speed limit.

"There are times, in extenuating circumstances, were we need to get somewhere as quickly as possible. In those circumstances, absolutely speed may be elevated," Rougeau said.

She added that time is crucial in only a fraction of EMS calls.

Edmonton paramedics are also getting ticketed for going through red lights and speeding. The union said that started happening after AHS took over ambulance services last year.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/20...l#ixzz19J9yP5sy

Interesting to hear about a 27 hall lfdlt17, is that Big Lake hall 27?

This stuff about ambulances driving the speed limit is retarded. Omg they are getting tickets, well duh. Not like AHS pays those tickets anyway. Reminds me of when emergency workers had to go (or still do) to court when they got a red light ticket to prove they were responding to an emergency. Next step is to stop at all red lights and wait patently for a green because it's safe driving. What a load.

Interesting to hear about a 27 hall lfdlt17, is that Big Lake hall 27?

This stuff about ambulances driving the speed limit is retarded. Omg they are getting tickets, well duh. Not like AHS pays those tickets anyway. Reminds me of when emergency workers had to go (or still do) to court when they got a red light ticket to prove they were responding to an emergency. Next step is to stop at all red lights and wait patently for a green because it's safe driving. What a load.

No 27 is in like 91 st and Ellerslie area. They have a master plan that calls for 91 and Ellerslie, 114 and Ellerslie, 170 and Ellerslie, Lewis Estates, Big Lake, 50st and 167ave

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...