Edmonton Emergency Services

• Board Admin

(Stealing internet definitions for PRU)

Provincial Reconnaissance Unit?

Pararescue Unit?

Alphas... wonder if they are the units starting with A. :lol: Do you know what the "A9" stands for on the back of that one?

Looks like it could be a Demers Mystere - MX170D...

1217-3.gif

http://www.demers-ambulances.com/index.php...mp;productId=50

DSC013889.JPG

Alpha's are just ambulances and its their call sign on the radio fire trucks are Pumps Ladder/Aerial Rescue or Tanker and ambulances are Alpha they go #Alpha# the # before the Alpha is the platoon they are on and the # after the Alpha is the unit so 2 Alpha 9 is Alpha 9 with the crew from platoon 2.

PRU is Paramedic Response Unit, they are Ford Explorers or Chevy Trailblazers that have one paramedic and do not transport.

Seirra is an EMS supervisor they drive Expiditions or Tahoes

Car is a EFD district chief

Gator is Fire Investigation

Viper I have never heard or heard about

Interesting, Didn't realize they were using platoons on the meat wagons (how can you tell my friends were in the fire service?) :lol: but the Alpha 9 does match up with the A9 plate on the rigs

Very familiar with the PRU (also heard it called "primary" response unit) as I've seen them a number of times, but the number is what I'm still a little vague on, ie: PRU4 is what exactly, she sure is not based at 4 hall

Gator, yup, one of the two rigs actually has a Louisanna Gators plate on it

If anyone else is listening to the scanner, some fire designations:

Ladder 2 is 2 halls ladder/quint with a 4 man crew while Aerial 5 is 5 halls ladder but with a 2 man crew

ATP = All terrain pump (also known as bush buggies), 811, 812, (yellow) 817, 818, (white) but:

19 hall has a 2 man ladder (616) and a 2 man ATP (818), but when dispatched I hear Ladder 19 being used for both rigs, seldom do I hear ATP 19

but 8 hall has the same set up (618 and 811) and I hear Ladder 8 being dispatched, and do hear ATP 8 being used from time to time

Viper is a strange one, there seems to be a few of them, one for sure on the west end responded with 23 hall a lot last week

Station 8 now has a Smeal like the one that just went into service at 16 so that's why you are hearing Ladder 8. PRU4 is just one of the PRU's they have 4 in the city, 4 PRUs and 4 Supervisors. So it is just for designating which unit they are.

• 2 weeks later...
Saw a 45x firetruck return to 25 for the first time, and was expecting it to back in but then remembered mike saying the new stations were drive through.

The new 10 is not drive through. The tankers are taking forever because they were scheduled to be replaced one at a time but the company they ordered them from did not want to do one at a time orders so they waiting until they had 5 to replace so they are desperate for them now. Rocky Mountain Phoenix got the order for the new helmets, they started with a few with the last couple of recruit classes and will slowly be replacing everyone's. All will be black (not sure about Chiefs) firefighters are black with yellow stickers, captains will be black with red stickers and FFQ's will be black with red and yellow stickers.

On Tuesday Ladder 2 was using shop 619 (aerial 5) and aerial 5 was using shop 618 (ex aerial 8)

And on Thursday, 615 was apparently aerial 5. Or was the 614 I saw? Won't know for awhile until my Kodachromes come back, unless you remember what I told you mike.

Did see a yellow pumper running out 20 the other day. Glad I was able to get a few shots of their tanker pump a couple of weeks ago.

And on Thursday, 615 was apparently aerial 5. Or was the 614 I saw? Won't know for awhile until my Kodachromes come back, unless you remember what I told you mike.

Did see a yellow pumper running out 20 the other day. Glad I was able to get a few shots of their tanker pump a couple of weeks ago.

Hazmat 2 is also at 10.

The yellow pump from 20 was probably tanker 20. Spare pump with 2 men running as a tanker

Yay!!!! Found that I had a photo of EFD #610!!!

I took that photo back in 2002 I believe. It was one of my first photos of fire equipment. I guess I figured it was rather interesting at the time. I'll post a pic this weekend, once I have a chance to scan it.

Station 14 had 2 red trucks today - I believe the new one was 462. Does this sound right?

Sounds like from what I have heard on here and seen that 13,14, and 24 all got new pumps. You said there was 4 on the order so now we just need to find the other one.

I was guessing about 4, as there are now 4 spare pumps running as tankers, it also seems to be a nice round number (same as last order), and only leaves us 4 more to go

Yeah, I was pretty sure about 13 and 24, 14 makes sense, as of Sunday 4, 6 and 9 still had old ones, but 461 was at the Fire Service Centre. Keep your eyes open folks, they can't hide forever

10 and 2 are also yellows 17 I am not sure about. I know for sure that 1,3,5,7,8,11,12,13,14,15,16,18,19,20,22,23,24,25 have red pumps

• Board Admin

Station 14 had a white International Rescue (like 714) parked at the front of bay 2. mike from edmonton reports it is a spare unit. The red units weren't in when I passed by from what I could see.

Station 5 had two yellow units at the front of bays 1 and 2.

IMG_3537.JPG

ETS's Tahoe B2643 had VNL-636... wonder if that was an order of 4+ Tahoes?

That would be a water tank level indicator, IIRC they indicate these remaining gallons/percentage of water left on board at a glance

Green . . . 301-400 gallons or 76-100%

Blue . . . . 201-300 gallons or 51-75%

Yellow . . . 101-200 gallons or 26-50%

Red . . . . . 000-100 gallons or 00-25%

Bear in mind that the new Spartan/Smeal quints also have a water tank (as do the two white Pearce/Fort Garry rigs), while the rescues do not.

I would also expect the same system on the new tankers, but with different gallon values

Good stuff. Thats been bothering me for a while now and would explain everything. thanks

Here's a shot from May 10th, a new Forensics Expedition, can't be too old, a few weeks at most, replaces a Windstar Minivan

eps903ac.JPG

That expedition could be brand new on its way to the downtown station most likely from Healy Ford thats just down the road. When I was at my previous car dealership our service manager knew one of the guys at the RCMP K division garage and we got a contract to apply the decals to the new fleet of police interceptors and ford F-250's. We also got to go pick them up from their garage and drive them back with full decals, working lights and sirens. Its was awesome to drive them on the road with ppl thinking your a cop and not wanting to pass you. lol