Edmonton Emergency Services

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a APC with "Police" on the side fo it, outside of the Westin (in Edmonton) yesterday.

Mike, does the EPS have an APC? If not, I'd assume it was for a conference or something (and even if the EPS does have an APC, I'm sure it was still there for display).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Board Admin

Nice pic, thanks Mike!

BTW, I saw one of the new Ecnalubmas (the ones with the taller box and the city logo above the cab) and I swear it is a Crestline - same taillight configuration, but I didn't explicitly see a Crestline logo on it. It did say EDMONTON EMS though. :rolleyes:

• Board Admin

Does that thing exist anymore?

97 Street was accident central today.

The underpass north of the Yellowhead had a car mangled up, two police cars and yellow ladder truck on the scene, leaving one southbound lane. On my way back there was a tow truck and possibly more emergency vehicles, but I couldn't see what else.

Then north of 107 Avenue, one police car investigating a car up on the curb with another blocking the number one lane... They were gone when I got back.

• Board Admin

Here's a picture I took of EMS 2872 when it was pretty new. (October 21, 2003)

And a crappy shot of an older International truck: EFD Rescue 1! (September 7, 2003)

Probably the oldest ambulance I have a picture of, with a newer one. (September 9, 2003)

And a picture of EFD 450 when it was probably pretty new. (June 18, 2004)

efd_rescue1.jpg

ems2872.jpg

efd450.jpg

ems_old.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lacombe Dodge Charger in Edmonton. At first, from a distance, I thought it was n Edmonton unit... especially after talking to mike from edmonton shortly after first spotting it and him mentioned about the above mentioned logo change... it would have been a possibility that they had changed the paint scheme as well.

Also, shot a Military Police Impala at the provincial court house on Tuesday, however, the image of that is lurking exposed on a roll of Kodachrome 64 waiting to be immersed in a batch of chemicals to have colour dyes coupled to silver halides...

IMG_1744.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know what units are in station 23 Edmonton? I drove by the other day and they have a truck behind the old yellow truck and I think its the new command truck but I'm not sure. Also I'm looking for more pictures of Edmonton fire trucks new and older units. Thanks.

Station 23 is home to:

shop 451, a 2003 Spartan/Salbury rescue pump (replaced shop 441)

shop 504, a 1982 International/Superior tanker pump (replaced shop 508)

shop 822, a 2005 Spartan/SVI Command unit (replaced shop 808)

My guess is that a spare pump was in to cover for 451, could be any of: 429, 431/432, 433-436.

If it reads Pierreville it's 429

If it reads Superior it was 431/432

If it reads E-One it's 433-436

Thanks, How do you know so much about this?

Some interesting pics there, here is some additional information:

shop 455 is pump 15

shop 711 is not retired yet, she was one of two "specialized rescue" rigs. 1 is water rescue, and 1 was high altitude extraction.

-water was based out of 3 hall, but the high altitude that was based at 1 hall seems to have disappeared with a rescue being organized in 15 hall.

*There is a specialized triple axle trailer (shop 927) on order to replace the high altitude rescue though

shop 713 is a sister of 714 and are white 1993 IHC/Superior rigs, your picture of spare 3 that you have labeled as 713 is actually shop 712 a 1986 rig

shop 813 (I show her as a 2004) may not be retired just yet. She is parked with shop 709 at the fire service center, and had not yet hit the disposal yards. Some history: she was originally assigned as the south side hazmat at 13 hall until she was re-assigned as hazmat 2 when 13 hall was finally re-assigned a lader in about 2003/2004. With the arrival of shop 821 (spartan/SVI hazmat) in 2005, shop 814 (1994 IHC/General) became the 2nd hazmat and shop 813 was used for various duties for awhile before being parked

your hazmat 3 is actually the regional decontamination unit, used for large contamination/hazard goods issues. She is a 1994 rig, the trailer (shop 908) being built/modified by General and the tractor (shop 815) is a kenworth

shop 230 is a 2004 ford f250, extended cab pick-up w/canopy that is used by the dangerous goods team.

shop 623 has been assigned to ladder 2 since arrival

shop 444 was previously assigned as pump 3

shop 610 is a 1978 pierreville/oshkosh aerial platform that was a "low profile" rig that was all the rage back then. She was nicknamed the skateboard, and at one time was assigned to 22 hall

shop 713 is a 1993 IHC/Superior and twin to 714, and is white in colour. Your spare rescue 3 is actually shop 712 a 1986 IHC/Superior rig

There are no specialized rescue units, station 3 is the technical rescue team, any time there is a technical rescue call both the pump and the rescue respond to it, they do swift water, high angle, trench collapse rescue stuff, they keep all the TR stuff in the compartments on top of the new rescue truck and on a trailer that is pulled behind, that you have mentioned is being replaced which i have heard before. - Stations 1 and 6 alternate who uses the boat that is housed at station 21, they do a month on and a month off. There is no Rescue at 15, there was but it has since been moved to 24.

713 and 714 are spare rescues and they are the white ones, the one i have pictured is 712, i hit the wrong key, and it is from 1993 not 1986, it has the same International cab as 713 and 714

813 was originally the first out hazmat unit, before the bigger hazmat unit 814 was purchased, when 814 went into service as DG 1 813 became DG 2, now that they got the new SVI truck they have switched from DG to Hazmat and 814 became Hazmat 2 and 813 was taken out of service, it is no longer used as a response truck that is why i have it listed as retired. it was at at station 2 and was floated around to station 13 once in awhile but was not a southside hazmat truck it was the second out citywide hazmat truck.

yes hazmat 3 is the regional decon unit and the semi truck is not a 1994 truck it is from the 70's and was traded for some stuff between CN, Edmonton Fire and the training school in vermillion, its call sign is Hazmat 3 and the ladder crew from station 2 opperates it.

the F250 is used by the chief of hazmat.

the skateboard was bought as a low profile because when it was purchased the old station 2 had low doors so it was all that would fit.

Thanx for the information, sounds like you have information we could use on the new Emergency Vehicles section we are preparing for Barp.

As my last two contacts have recently retired from the service some of my recent information is dated, gotta get some new contacts! Most of the new guys are pretty good, but some of their intel has not panned out to date. Besides, my memory and notes are not what they used to be :lol:

There may no longer be the specialized rescue trucks, but at one point, there was a second rescue truck specially fitted out with specialized equipment. One was the high angle/confined (now technical) the other for water, and were out of 1 hall and 3 hall. In fact, I remember it being outfitted totally differently that the regular rescue at 1 hall

It appears since the arrival of the new rescues and increased number of zodiaks (or their bombardier equivilent) at the halls there have been some changes, especially in the water rescue side of things.

Glad to hear Rescue 15 is now Rescue 24, a very good idea location wise. I hadn't seen 15 in a while and wasn't sure where she ended up at

I've seen Rescue 3 towing the utility trailer, and I have also seen Pump 3 towing it, can hardly wait to see that huge new technical trailer

Surprised that 1 hall and 6 hall rotate monthly out of 21 hall, thought it was for a shorter period of time. Still trying to get a picture of shop 235 at 21 hall, before they add the foam concentrate supply system.

Just like you I pooched a date entry, 712/713 are indeed 1993, bad editing on my part.

Agreed, Shop 813 was the second piece of the hazmat based out on the southside at 13 hall for a while after 814 arrived. BTW, 13 hall and I go way back, as I watched her being built and spent a lot of time there!

I'm still pretty sure of the hazmat3/decon age though. The General plate clearly stated 1994, and I remember seeing her being worked on at General in that time frame. I can't see spending any kind of money on refurbing a 20 year old trailer as they are very cheap to buy. The tractor does not look like a 1970's kenny either, and I got the 1994 date from the unit itself IIRC. Let's agree to disagree on that one eh?

Shop 610, the skateboard is still the sweetest looking rig we've ever had. Forgot about the low doors at the old 2 hall, same problem with the old 10 hall too. A lot of cities at the time were looking at low profile for just that reason, old halls. The other low clearance option was a centre mount ladder

Im not disputing that the trailer for Hazmat 3 is a 94, the trailer was built new but the Truck came from CN. Edmonton Fire needed the truck and they had a retired Pump to get rid of, the school in Vermillion needed a pump and guys from CN needed training in vermillion so they all just swapped everything around, but yes the trailer was custom built around when they got it, i was a just a kid so i dont know when they put it in service but 94 or 93 ish sounds about right considering it was one of the last yellow units.

As far as I know the extra rescues at 1 and 3 were just spares, the resuce a 3 was rescue 3A and was added if there was enough man-power and it would respond city-wide to any structure fire and go cover any other rescue that was on a call. Might have just been layed out differently because it was two different trucks from two different times built differently, but you may well be correct that they were used as a Tech rescue. I know that when the high-angle rescue was first started it was at stations 1 and 3 but it was all moved to 3 because they could not get enough time off for training for 2 rescues with the old chief, have been told that would not be a problem today though. And yes you're right I do know a fair bit about the EFD, I grew up wanting to do it and have soaked up lots of information.

1 and 6 do not rotate being stationed at 21 they just respond from their respective halls to station 21 when the boat is needed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Board Admin

There's a Ponoka truck that looks like those cabover Internationals along the Yellowhead someplace, 117 Street or something?

Saw a Sheriff Ford Escape today from above - there was a red X on the roof.

Driving past Station 5 tonight, a rare sight - all 3 bays had yellow livery trucks at the front of the line.

There's a Ponoka truck that looks like those cabover Internationals along the Yellowhead someplace, 117 Street or something?

Saw a Sheriff Ford Escape today from above - there was a red X on the roof.

Driving past Station 5 tonight, a rare sight - all 3 bays had yellow livery trucks at the front of the line.

In Lacombe we still have a cab over pump its a Ford still has the open jumpseats in the back, its awesome in the summer, sucks in the winter.