Cars

Double T

4 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Yeah, the E-handbrake revolution is in full force, and winning the battle...:(. At least you get more tail-happiness. I have to turn the traction control into the "especially off" (:P)mode just to get the tail out a bit, and even then I can feel wheels braking without me asking them to....

Though I don't think its mechanically safe to pull the handbrake while moving in a 4 wheel drive car; however, admittedly IDK if this applies to a haldex or not.

One of my buddies from work has a 17 Lapiz Blue R. Has a Remus exhaust, intake and probably some other stuff by now (haven't been in it for a few months), and of course the ol 6 speed manual. Thing is ridonkulous.

I want to look into getting a 2009-12 WRX/WRX STi hatch in the coming years. Stick a roof rack on it for my bike and we'll be all set.

Next step is a Carrera S!

I’m still undecided on an aftermarket exhaust. I did look at Remus but I’m leaning towards the AWE. Loved the AWE on my Jetta - but that was with the 2.5 5 cyl. 

I had the Neuspeed intake installed but took it out - just not into the constant amplified “psssh” from the diverter valve. 

• Like 1

I also made a test drive last week for a Civic Type R (FK8) run.

Extreme in everything, especially response, ease to drive, basic controls distribution, among other features which dramatically improved since the FK2 (the one I passed my final exam with).

In a more resumed way, it clearly exceeded all my expectations! ^^

27836253_1800107570000452_647871518_o.thumb.jpg.996b51c74619f168f151129f4959f745.jpg27785680_1800107606667115_2099685848_o.thumb.jpg.f8fae380af64fb673396da6bf995f214.jpg

It's a car I would really recommend, if you seek reliability, driving comfort, suspension that gives you confidence like no other, most needed controls right at your hand, and fast response and permanent "power drop-less" (VTEC is well known for these) in just one car!

I guess one of this car's slogans -「Drive Forever」- is the right one, since it proved to be a car Mr Kakinuma (the project's head officer) said the team's main goal was to create a car the driver could place his/her total confidence in, beyond falling in love for and want to drive it forever.

Maybe my time will come soon or later in my life time...

...If I get a slightly better job... xD

6 hours ago, Kashiwazaki said:

I also made a test drive last week for a Civic Type R (FK8) run.

Extreme in everything, especially response, ease to drive, basic controls distribution, among other features which dramatically improved since the FK2 (the one I passed my final exam with).

In a more resumed way, it clearly exceeded all my expectations! ^^

27836253_1800107570000452_647871518_o.thumb.jpg.996b51c74619f168f151129f4959f745.jpg27785680_1800107606667115_2099685848_o.thumb.jpg.f8fae380af64fb673396da6bf995f214.jpg

It's a car I would really recommend, if you seek reliability, driving comfort, suspension that gives you confidence like no other, most needed controls right at your hand, and fast response and permanent "power drop-less" (VTEC is well known for these) in just one car!

I guess one of this car's slogans -「Drive Forever」- is the right one, since it proved to be a car Mr Kakinuma (the project's head officer) said the team's main goal was to create a car the driver could place his/her total confidence in, beyond falling in love for and want to drive it forever.

Maybe my time will come soon or later in my life time...

...If I get a slightly better job... xD

The Type R is a sick car, but personally, I think it looks a bit bonkers. Don't get me wrong, bonkers cars are cool, but I prefer my cars a bit more understated, in darker colours, less flashy etc. Which is why I'd take a Golf R, Focus RS, RS3 (!!!!!!!!), essentially any of those, over the Type R. Plus, the performance is better too, and its FWD which is a put-off for me...

21 hours ago, 9924 said:

I’m still undecided on an aftermarket exhaust. I did look at Remus but I’m leaning towards the AWE. Loved the AWE on my Jetta - but that was with the 2.5 5 cyl. 

Remus doesn't disappoint from what I've heard, especially in person. 

Since you mention the 5 pot, what do you think of the RS3? Really bummed that Audi never brings the proper models over here. Always stuck with these shitty SUVs instead of wagons and hatches. 

I need an RS6 in my life...

@Ninja Bus Fan

Did you know that Plug n' Drive is offering free test drives of electric vehicles at the Canadian International Autoshow in Toronto?

I am always looking to get an EV, but never felt the experience until yesterday. In particular, I wanted to try Toyota's Prius Prime, because I had been use to Toyota vehicles for years and a Canada-wide release is around the corner. Unfortunately because we only had time to go to the North building instead of the south and because I do not have a full license I never got the chance to go behind the wheel of the Prime, but I did get to sit in the back seat of a Honda Clarity PHV with my mom at the helm, always curious to find out more about EVs and chatting with the attendant.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgqCsfFShZgBns1yZZ4ALi1bfIz-dw

On 2018/2/17 at 7:28 AM, Doppelkupplung said:

The Type R is a sick car, but personally, I think it looks a bit bonkers. Don't get me wrong, bonkers cars are cool, but I prefer my cars a bit more understated, in darker colours, less flashy etc. Which is why I'd take a Golf R, Focus RS, RS3 (!!!!!!!!), essentially any of those, over the Type R. Plus, the performance is better too, and its FWD which is a put-off for me...

Careful, it's not all about flashy, but rather aerodynamics.

I'd certainly liked if a certain kind of 'technology' - Variable Active Yaw Control System - could exist already, with which you could control the torque to either of the axles without requiring a garage to do the job.

That means you could have a Civic Type R for FWD comfort cruise, 4WD stability racing, or even raw and violent RWD drifting sessions.

But yes, certain details of the car - like the rear bumper's 'grilles' - are not functional at all, but for improving design, or like some uneducated folks prefer, "riced out" looks.

3 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

V8s and flat 6s ftw

About V8, don't go that way, unless you have enough money for gas... xD

My Mazda Tribute is a DOHC V6 24 valve 3000cc, producing 203hp, and has already a combined consumption of about 12l/100km compared to my mom's X1, a four-straight diesel 2000cc making 177hp and burning a combined 7-8l/100km. 

10 minutes ago, Kashiwazaki said:

Careful, it's not all about flashy, but rather aerodynamics.

I'd certainly liked if a certain kind of 'technology' - Variable Active Yaw Control System - could exist already, with which you could control the torque to either of the axles without requiring a garage to do the job.

That means you could have a Civic Type R for FWD comfort cruise, 4WD stability racing, or even raw and violent RWD drifting sessions.

But yes, certain details of the car - like the rear bumper's 'grilles' - are not functional at all, but for improving design, or like some uneducated folks prefer, "riced out" looks.

True, it has some aero, but I still think its a bit wack aesthetically, despite the benefits.  

Regarding Yaw Control, you mean what the GTI Performance has for the front axle? (VAQ LSD Diff)

These days, I'm all about Honda's $50,000 Odyssey. 

10 minutes ago, Kashiwazaki said:

About V8, don't go that way, unless you have enough money for gas... xD

My Mazda Tribute is a DOHC V6 24 valve 3000cc, producing 203hp, and has already a combined consumption of about 12l/100km compared to my mom's X1, a four-straight diesel 2000cc making 177hp and burning a combined 7-8l/100km. 

There's an obvious fuel benefit with a smaller engine, but I will say this, and quote what I think was one of the most intelligent things Jeremy Clarkson said during his time at Top Gear:

"It not about what car you drive, but how you drive it; that's what matters". 

15 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

True, it has some aero, but I still think its a bit wack aesthetically, despite the benefits.  

Regarding Yaw Control, you mean what the GTI Performance has for the front axle? (VAQ LSD Diff)

These days, I'm all about Honda's $50,000 Odyssey. 

There's an obvious fuel benefit with a smaller engine, but I will say this, and quote what I think was one of the most intelligent things Jeremy Clarkson said during his time at Top Gear:

"It not about what car you drive, but how you drive it; that's what matters". 

No, I was referring to a kind of yaw control system which could allow you to adjust the torque between axles, even while in movement.

That technology though, still needs tons of research before it can even be tested. ^^;

I have a HW custom Odyssey and love it.

In fact and as you probably noticed, I'm a huge Honda fan, but if you would go by a car of that kind, I have a bigger penchant for the Stream, 1990's Accord wagon, or Civic FK2 wagon.

Other three good choices are the Previa, Impreza WRX STI SW and a very rare one, the Stagea RS 4S.

Yes indeed, how we drive is what will dictate a car's real consumption, especially a MT one, since in most (if not all) cases, an AT will end up making the engine consume a little more.

5 hours ago, Kashiwazaki said:

No, I was referring to a kind of yaw control system which could allow you to adjust the torque between axles, even while in movement.

That technology though, still needs tons of research before it can even be tested. ^^;

I have a HW custom Odyssey and love it.

In fact and as you probably noticed, I'm a huge Honda fan, but if you would go by a car of that kind, I have a bigger penchant for the Stream, 1990's Accord wagon, or Civic FK2 wagon.

Other three good choices are the Previa, Impreza WRX STI SW and a very rare one, the Stagea RS 4S.

Yes indeed, how we drive is what will dictate a car's real consumption, especially a MT one, since in most (if not all) cases, an AT will end up making the engine consume a little more.

Oh okay, I see. You'd have to be AWD capable obviously...that's a given though. 

I was joking about the odyssey lol. Its a cool car, but I'd never ever get a minivan. I'm more of a wagon person. E63, RS6, Sport Tourismo etc etc. Understated and quick. Also space for a roof rack to hold my bike. 

I've only seen 2 Accord wagons around my area; super rare things. Pretty neat. 

WRX STi hatchback for me. 

Modern autos are too good on fuel econ. The days of manuals being better on fuel are unfortunately gone. One can come close, but Porsche's PDK, ZFs world-standard 8HP, they're just better unfortunately. Personally I'll stick with manual in as many cars as I can (save the quick wagons). I like shifting my own gears. Which is why I tip my hat to @9924 for getting the R with the right tranny. (admittedly on a blindfolded order, but I assume you knew what you were getting)

On 2018-02-16 at 10:28 PM, Doppelkupplung said:

Remus doesn't disappoint from what I've heard, especially in person. 

Since you mention the 5 pot, what do you think of the RS3? Really bummed that Audi never brings the proper models over here. Always stuck with these shitty SUVs instead of wagons and hatches. 

I need an RS6 in my life...

@Ninja Bus Fan

I like the RS3 - but honestly, for that money I'd rather get into a base Macan - even the '18 Rs are getting up in price with the "custom" colours and dealer markups now.  Saw one on the lot yesterday in Cliff Green going for $52000 and thats a 6 speed.  There just comes a point where the car isn't worth what they were selling it for - even my R, when it really comes down to it, even though I got it at market value, $42000 but its still a Golf.

Having said that, Europe still gets all the cool stuff that we don't (like the RS6 as you mentioned), as well as the Golf R Wagon, the Akrapovic option, power gains and even a sunroof. Hard to believe that in North America, you can get a sunroof on the $20 000 base model but can't get one on the $45 000 top of the line model.  I mean seriously VW?  Come on!

However, I did manage to sit in a 2018 STi yesterday - man, what a crappy interior that car has.  From the ridiculously designed and placed mirror adjustment knob, the cheap and small infotainment display, non-adjustable centre armrest, cheap looking instrument cluster - its defiantly not a car I'd be happy to spend time in.  And the door, so light - almost like plastic, I was scared to break it every time I opened or closed it.

The exterior design isn't too bad, minus the obnoxious wing in the back - take that off and its a good looking car.  The Civic on the other hand (sorry Kashiwazaki) - while the Type R may be a solid performer, the Honda team has been failing miserably in the design department.  There is absolutely nothing pleasing about the design of the Type R (and Civic and Accord for that matter) at all.  It has honestly to be one of the ugliest cars on the road since the Fiat Multipla or Citroen PIcaso.

I get the brand and fan loyalty thing - but even for me with my fan loyalty to VW - I still have no problem criticizing them - take the upcoming Mk7 Jetta - they dropped the ball on the design big time.  How they could even have approved such a bland and obnoxious design is beyond me - and how they could let a car go to the car show with a wheel gap that would put a lifted F350 to shame is just mind boggling.

Speaking of poor designs.  The current generation of Ford pick up trucks really takes the gate.  4 low beam headlights?  Really?  What kind of idiot thought this was a good idea?  Not only does it look ridiculous, but its confusing for oncoming drivers at night because it looks like they have their high beams on all the time.  Also, Ford double the maintenance cost for headlights - instead of 2 low beam bulbs, you now have to buy 4 - and good bulbs aren't cheap.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

58 minutes ago, 9924 said:

I like the RS3 - but honestly, for that money I'd rather get into a base Macan - even the '18 Rs are getting up in price with the "custom" colours and dealer markups now.  Saw one on the lot yesterday in Cliff Green going for $52000 and thats a 6 speed.  There just comes a point where the car isn't worth what they were selling it for - even my R, when it really comes down to it, even though I got it at market value, $42000 but its still a Golf.

Unfortunately the hot hatch game is getting out of hand now. Not only pricewise, but hpwise, you start to question whether or not it is a "hot" hatch anymore. Which is why alot of people are calling the Polo GTi the real hatch these days, and I don't blame them. However, it is worth noting that Golf Rs tend to hold their value somewhat, at least from what I've noticed. 

As far as RS3/Macan goes, I certianly wouldn't go that way. The RS3 is unique its own way because of its engine. Which is mainly why I'd buy it. It blows its competitors out of the park soundwise. Performance is debatable, but soundwise, I think its worth it. 

The base Macan, as great of a car as it is, is still a shitbox when it comes to fun. The 4 banger (base model) is just no fun, and is for people who want to win the neighbourhood car brand war. This was what I noticed during my time at Porsche. The S is better, but I wouldn't take the 4, S or even GTS over an RS3. Turbo is debatable, but like I said, the RS3 is unique in its own right. Also, don't forget that that's the "base" price. You haven't added things like leather seats, paint, wheels, headlights (remember, the Macan 4 is bare bones, it just has Navi. Not even LED headlights) etc. By the time you get there, on a base base Macan, you're already over the RS3 in price, which, incidentally, is relatively well equipped. Also, the RS3 will blow the entire Macan range out of the park performance wise. 

I could go on about Porsche for some number of years, but I'll save you the time. 

1 hour ago, 9924 said:

Having said that, Europe still gets all the cool stuff that we don't (like the RS6 as you mentioned), as well as the Golf R Wagon, the Akrapovic option, power gains and even a sunroof. Hard to believe that in North America, you can get a sunroof on the $20 000 base model but can't get one on the $45 000 top of the line model.  I mean seriously VW?  Come on!

Damn you Americaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, when it comes to models in North America, its essentially entirely based off the US client interests. Which is unfortunately you see stupid and foolish vehicles like the X5/6M, GLC/E/S 63/coupe models here, which is a horrible shame. Its this foolish obsession for SUVs in this neck of the woods; I just cannot stand it one bit. 

This is exactly why we didn't get models like the B8, B9 RS4 Avants and same for the C5, 6, 7 RS6 etc. Same for Mercedes C63. And of course the Golf R wagon. Yeah, I'm still confused about the sunroof option. Its kinda whack. I love it on the GTi. I need that natural light, which is why the mesh is always drawn back. 

1 hour ago, 9924 said:

However, I did manage to sit in a 2018 STi yesterday - man, what a crappy interior that car has.  From the ridiculously designed and placed mirror adjustment knob, the cheap and small infotainment display, non-adjustable centre armrest, cheap looking instrument cluster - its defiantly not a car I'd be happy to spend time in.  And the door, so light - almost like plastic, I was scared to break it every time I opened or closed it.

The exterior design isn't too bad, minus the obnoxious wing in the back - take that off and its a good looking car.  The Civic on the other hand (sorry Kashiwazaki) - while the Type R may be a solid performer, the Honda team has been failing miserably in the design department.  There is absolutely nothing pleasing about the design of the Type R (and Civic and Accord for that matter) at all.  It has honestly to be one of the ugliest cars on the road since the Fiat Multipla or Citroen PIcaso.

I don't think Subaru will be a leader in interiors anytime soon. I'd only get one for the drive. 

I'm not crazy about the wing either, I like subtlety. Which is why I'm a fan of fast wagons, 911s minus the wings, and the WRX hatch. 

IDK why but Honda and Toyota have gone a bit mad in the design department. You have to think, 20 years from now, how will they look? The reason the 20 year old LS looks good is because its simple, clean lines, clean car. Not this stupid RX, NX garbage Lexus is coming out with. The Prius is the ugliest piece of garbage on the road, as is the new Camry. I liked Toyota's design, pre-2016. Now they've gone a bit whack. Subaru, Nissan, Infinity are pretty decent these days, as are Kia and Hyundai. But I'm sorry, Honda and Toyota are just trying too hard. And Acura is edging its way into that list too, being Honda in essence. 

1 hour ago, 9924 said:

I get the brand and fan loyalty thing - but even for me with my fan loyalty to VW - I still have no problem criticizing them - take the upcoming Mk7 Jetta - they dropped the ball on the design big time.  How they could even have approved such a bland and obnoxious design is beyond me - and how they could let a car go to the car show with a wheel gap that would put a lifted F350 to shame is just mind boggling.

Oh me neither. I'm shocked the GTi doesn't have a check engine light on yet. It was a permanent fixture on the old Rabbit it replaced. I don't like some of the wheel options on the new Golf GTI and R. The cars themselves look good, but there are tiny things that are not working for me (again, thats me, so say what you will). FINALLY they brought LED taillights. About time too. 

As far as the Jetta goes, its fine IMO. Best not to go full on Lexus when it comes to design. Bit of restraint is ok. The new Arteon looks great though. 

1 hour ago, 9924 said:

Speaking of poor designs.  The current generation of Ford pick up trucks really takes the gate.  4 low beam headlights?  Really?  What kind of idiot thought this was a good idea?  Not only does it look ridiculous, but its confusing for oncoming drivers at night because it looks like they have their high beams on all the time.  Also, Ford double the maintenance cost for headlights - instead of 2 low beam bulbs, you now have to buy 4 - and good bulbs aren't cheap.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I have very very very strong opinions regarding pickup trucks. To save a rant, I'll just say, and call me hypocritical, I don't care, if you don't need one, you shouldn't have one. 

And I'm disappointed they are still making gas guzzling powertrains for the pickups. Here we are, with sports cars suffering downsizing in a bad way, yet pickup trucks still come with 6.2L V8s. Its just foolish, especially as a best selling vehicle. They should have introduced some sort of hybrid by now. 

As far as looks go, they all look horrible. The previous gen F150 was decent, but the new one looks stupid. 

On 2018/2/25 at 10:12 PM, 9924 said:

The Civic on the other hand (sorry Kashiwazaki) - while the Type R may be a solid performer, the Honda team has been failing miserably in the design department.  There is absolutely nothing pleasing about the design of the Type R (and Civic and Accord for that matter) at all.  It has honestly to be one of the ugliest cars on the road since the Fiat Multipla or Citroen PIcaso.

I don't mind what you say, but no need to put it into larger and bolder... ^^;

In other words, there are cars for all tastes, and - sorry to disappoint you - I totally disagree: the Civic Type R in my opinion just got better and better, beyond starting to use more aerodynamics to increase in stability, and the development of a suspension exclusively to eliminate most (if not all) of the torque steer problem on a car with such amount of power.

Must say however, that the car is getting already too large, "it has just maxed out in power (320hp) and especially in size", exactly what I told to the dealer after the test drive.

But other than that, relax, I respect your position almost as solidly as my love for Honda. xD

Other cars which will remain intemporal for my tastes are the R32 GT-R, the 90's Fairlady Z 2by2, RX-7 and RX-7 Aspec, and obviously the '92 NSX-R, among a few other Japanese sportscars from 1985 to late 90's which I believe I don't need to mention.

On 2018-02-27 at 3:40 PM, Kashiwazaki said:

In other words, there are cars for all tastes, and - sorry to disappoint you - I totally disagree: the Civic Type R in my opinion just got better and better, beyond starting to use more aerodynamics to increase in stability, and the development of a suspension exclusively to eliminate most (if not all) of the torque steer problem on a car with such amount of power.

Must say however, that the car is getting already too large, "it has just maxed out in power (320hp) and especially in size", exactly what I told to the dealer after the test drive.

But other than that, relax, I respect your position almost as solidly as my love for Honda. xD

Other cars which will remain intemporal for my tastes are the R32 GT-R, the 90's Fairlady Z 2by2, RX-7 and RX-7 Aspec, and obviously the '92 NSX-R, among a few other Japanese sportscars from 1985 to late 90's which I believe I don't need to mention.

As I stated before, I don't disagree that the Type R is a very solid performer, and some of the design has some minimal effect on functional aerodynamics (don't let the salesman fool you believing little plastic wings and things actually have a serious effect on performance in a production car) but its still ugly as sin - but yes, you are right - there are cars for all tastes, mainly those who have taste and those who don't :D

Relax, I'm just giving you a hard time ;) 

I was behind a Toyota C-HR the other day, holy crap that thing looks like its been rear ended.  Good god what an ugly Frankenstein of a car.

On 2018-02-25 at 3:39 PM, Doppelkupplung said:

Unfortunately the hot hatch game is getting out of hand now. Not only pricewise, but hpwise, you start to question whether or not it is a "hot" hatch anymore. Which is why alot of people are calling the Polo GTi the real hatch these days, and I don't blame them. However, it is worth noting that Golf Rs tend to hold their value somewhat, at least from what I've noticed. 

As far as RS3/Macan goes, I certianly wouldn't go that way. The RS3 is unique its own way because of its engine. Which is mainly why I'd buy it. It blows its competitors out of the park soundwise. Performance is debatable, but soundwise, I think its worth it. 

The base Macan, as great of a car as it is, is still a shitbox when it comes to fun. The 4 banger (base model) is just no fun, and is for people who want to win the neighbourhood car brand war. This was what I noticed during my time at Porsche. The S is better, but I wouldn't take the 4, S or even GTS over an RS3. Turbo is debatable, but like I said, the RS3 is unique in its own right. Also, don't forget that that's the "base" price. You haven't added things like leather seats, paint, wheels, headlights (remember, the Macan 4 is bare bones, it just has Navi. Not even LED headlights) etc. By the time you get there, on a base base Macan, you're already over the RS3 in price, which, incidentally, is relatively well equipped. Also, the RS3 will blow the entire Macan range out of the park performance wise. 

I could go on about Porsche for some number of years, but I'll save you the time. 

Damn you Americaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, when it comes to models in North America, its essentially entirely based off the US client interests. Which is unfortunately you see stupid and foolish vehicles like the X5/6M, GLC/E/S 63/coupe models here, which is a horrible shame. Its this foolish obsession for SUVs in this neck of the woods; I just cannot stand it one bit. 

This is exactly why we didn't get models like the B8, B9 RS4 Avants and same for the C5, 6, 7 RS6 etc. Same for Mercedes C63. And of course the Golf R wagon. Yeah, I'm still confused about the sunroof option. Its kinda whack. I love it on the GTi. I need that natural light, which is why the mesh is always drawn back. 

I don't think Subaru will be a leader in interiors anytime soon. I'd only get one for the drive. 

I'm not crazy about the wing either, I like subtlety. Which is why I'm a fan of fast wagons, 911s minus the wings, and the WRX hatch. 

IDK why but Honda and Toyota have gone a bit mad in the design department. You have to think, 20 years from now, how will they look? The reason the 20 year old LS looks good is because its simple, clean lines, clean car. Not this stupid RX, NX garbage Lexus is coming out with. The Prius is the ugliest piece of garbage on the road, as is the new Camry. I liked Toyota's design, pre-2016. Now they've gone a bit whack. Subaru, Nissan, Infinity are pretty decent these days, as are Kia and Hyundai. But I'm sorry, Honda and Toyota are just trying too hard. And Acura is edging its way into that list too, being Honda in essence. 

Oh me neither. I'm shocked the GTi doesn't have a check engine light on yet. It was a permanent fixture on the old Rabbit it replaced. I don't like some of the wheel options on the new Golf GTI and R. The cars themselves look good, but there are tiny things that are not working for me (again, thats me, so say what you will). FINALLY they brought LED taillights. About time too. 

As far as the Jetta goes, its fine IMO. Best not to go full on Lexus when it comes to design. Bit of restraint is ok. The new Arteon looks great though. 

I have very very very strong opinions regarding pickup trucks. To save a rant, I'll just say, and call me hypocritical, I don't care, if you don't need one, you shouldn't have one. 

And I'm disappointed they are still making gas guzzling powertrains for the pickups. Here we are, with sports cars suffering downsizing in a bad way, yet pickup trucks still come with 6.2L V8s. Its just foolish, especially as a best selling vehicle. They should have introduced some sort of hybrid by now. 

As far as looks go, they all look horrible. The previous gen F150 was decent, but the new one looks stupid. 

I agree, the hot hatch market is getting a bit silly at this point in time, just like the muscle car scene in the mid 2000s.  In all honesty though, the only real hot hatch out there is a base GTI with Clark cloth interior - while a great performer, its still modest.  The newer ones like the R, R32, Focus RS, RS3, AMG45 are just getting too loaded up with features and goodies which in turn bloats the purchasing price which really kind of looses the appeal.  A couple of more years and it'll wind down.

Speaking of the R, I do wish they did add just a few subtle appearance mods - nothing fancy, maybe a bit more of an aggressive rear diffuser, slight rear spoiler extension and front splitter.  Blue brake callipers instead of the black would have been a nice touch as well as blue stitching on the interior.

On 2018/3/7 at 9:24 AM, 9924 said:

As I stated before, I don't disagree that the Type R is a very solid performer, and some of the design has some minimal effect on functional aerodynamics (don't let the salesman fool you believing little plastic wings and things actually have a serious effect on performance in a production car) but its still ugly as sin - but yes, you are right - there are cars for all tastes, mainly those who have taste and those who don't :D

Relax, I'm just giving you a hard time ;) 

I was behind a Toyota C-HR the other day, holy crap that thing looks like its been rear ended.  Good god what an ugly Frankenstein of a car.

I don't get fooled, those wings and effects are really mostly for aerodynamics improvements, as Honda's wind tunnel simulations have shown.

Some parts however, are just show-off, and that's the only thing that ticks me off a bit.

About the C-HR, well yes, I prefer it's predecessor, the RSC, but again, I'm enjoying the C-HR's design too, so I guess I just have a taste for futuristic looking designs whatsoever.

That's no hard time you are giving to me, that's really nothing. xD

On 2/27/2018 at 5:40 PM, Kashiwazaki said:

Yeah, I get a bit carried away sometimes, apologies. 

Main point is to each their own. 

On 2/27/2018 at 5:40 PM, Kashiwazaki said:

On 3/7/2018 at 3:24 AM, 9924 said:

What I'll say is that there are many cars out there that are just as good, and better than the Type-R that don't have the monster wings and sharp edges and vents etc etc. Yes some have wings and other small aero enhancements, but cars like the Golf R, RS3 (any gen), Focus RS and A45 can achieve performance that is better than the Type-R without the extra stuff. 

Its the subtlety, which is why the other options are more attractive to me. The red accents aren't my cup of tea lol, and while we mention this, nether are those "lizardgrun" accents on the new GT3RS' rims. 

On 3/7/2018 at 3:24 AM, 9924 said:

I agree, the hot hatch market is getting a bit silly at this point in time, just like the muscle car scene in the mid 2000s.  In all honesty though, the only real hot hatch out there is a base GTI with Clark cloth interior - while a great performer, its still modest.  The newer ones like the R, R32, Focus RS, RS3, AMG45 are just getting too loaded up with features and goodies which in turn bloats the purchasing price which really kind of looses the appeal.  A couple of more years and it'll wind down.

Speaking of the R, I do wish they did add just a few subtle appearance mods - nothing fancy, maybe a bit more of an aggressive rear diffuser, slight rear spoiler extension and front splitter.  Blue brake callipers instead of the black would have been a nice touch as well as blue stitching on the interior.

Agree with the GTi/Cloth interior. But if I may say, the leather in the GTi is really good. Better than any BMW I've sat in. Comparable to a decent spec Mercedes. Like no lie, its worn well, and the steering wheel leather is perfect. 

I don't mind the gadgets, just as long as the looks don't go overboard. We'll have to wait and see performancewise. 

I like the latest refresh of the R; personally I wish they'd change the exhaust tips to something different, and rounder, not oval-like. I like the R the way it is in all honesty. VW has done a decent job with the mk7. 

Actually, we were talking about pricing a few posts earlier. The new A class is supposed to be 7k $ CAD more than its competitors, at least in Europe. I hope its a decent car lol. 

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

car.jpg

A daily occurrence at any U of T campus. My time at Porsche has made me go meh every time I see one. Now a 911 on the other hand, properly gets me going. 

5 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Yeah, I get a bit carried away sometimes, apologies. 

Main point is to each their own. 

What I'll say is that there are many cars out there that are just as good, and better than the Type-R that don't have the monster wings and sharp edges and vents etc etc. Yes some have wings and other small aero enhancements, but cars like the Golf R, RS3 (any gen), Focus RS and A45 can achieve performance that is better than the Type-R without the extra stuff. 

Its the subtlety, which is why the other options are more attractive to me. The red accents aren't my cup of tea lol, and while we mention this, nether are those "lizardgrun" accents on the new GT3RS' rims. 

Agree with the GTi/Cloth interior. But if I may say, the leather in the GTi is really good. Better than any BMW I've sat in. Comparable to a decent spec Mercedes. Like no lie, its worn well, and the steering wheel leather is perfect. 

I don't mind the gadgets, just as long as the looks don't go overboard. We'll have to wait and see performancewise. 

I like the latest refresh of the R; personally I wish they'd change the exhaust tips to something different, and rounder, not oval-like. I like the R the way it is in all honesty. VW has done a decent job with the mk7. 

Actually, we were talking about pricing a few posts earlier. The new A class is supposed to be 7k $ CAD more than its competitors, at least in Europe. I hope its a decent car lol. 

A daily occurrence at any U of T campus. My time at Porsche has made me go meh every time I see one. Now a 911 on the other hand, properly gets me going. 

There's nothing wrong with the leather in the R (other than the stock VW stitching) - the seats are incredibly comfortable - but the hot hatch market is just becoming a bit too high end IMHO.  The Clark Cloth is timeless, love it or hate it - it has a very long history with the GTI and hot hatch market.

As for the 7.5 refresh - I'm not a fan of the bottom grill, too much of a frowny face - but I do love the new headlights.  The rear diffuser is a bit better and I totally agree with you on the exhaust tips - at least in Europe they have the Akrapovic exhaust option which gives the R nicer exhaust tips and an actual growl - unlike the stock option we get here.

The hot hatch market is booming, VW will have to offer a bit more performance options on the R to keep it ahead of the pack - without emptying the consumers wallet - but VW having two hot hatches, they have to be careful not to take sales away from the GTI or vice versa.

19 hours ago, 9924 said:

There's nothing wrong with the leather in the R (other than the stock VW stitching) - the seats are incredibly comfortable - but the hot hatch market is just becoming a bit too high end IMHO.  The Clark Cloth is timeless, love it or hate it - it has a very long history with the GTI and hot hatch market.

As for the 7.5 refresh - I'm not a fan of the bottom grill, too much of a frowny face - but I do love the new headlights.  The rear diffuser is a bit better and I totally agree with you on the exhaust tips - at least in Europe they have the Akrapovic exhaust option which gives the R nicer exhaust tips and an actual growl - unlike the stock option we get here.

The hot hatch market is booming, VW will have to offer a bit more performance options on the R to keep it ahead of the pack - without emptying the consumers wallet - but VW having two hot hatches, they have to be careful not to take sales away from the GTI or vice versa.

Honestly the stitching I find alright as well. Is that piping i've seen in some of the newer Rs? Looks like a straight line of white on the seat edges. That's serious stuff. I agree. I've loved the clark cloth ever since I first sat in a mk5 GTi. Very homely; just something right about it. 

I'm happy VW isn't going apeshit with on the power front; a modest boost in 10-20hp is fine, but as long as it doesn't get out of hand. This is why I think VW makes the real hot hatches, they're modest, decent on power, and all round great cars, especially as dailies. A45, RS3 etc. is now catering to wealthy university students and people who want to give hard pulls in straight lines, as far as I can tell. Focus RS and Type-R are excluded there. 

Found a video perfectly explaining why I love the 3.8 Carrera S engine:

4 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Honestly the stitching I find alright as well. Is that piping i've seen in some of the newer Rs? Looks like a straight line of white on the seat edges. That's serious stuff. I agree. I've loved the clark cloth ever since I first sat in a mk5 GTi. Very homely; just something right about it. 

I'm happy VW isn't going apeshit with on the power front; a modest boost in 10-20hp is fine, but as long as it doesn't get out of hand. This is why I think VW makes the real hot hatches, they're modest, decent on power, and all round great cars, especially as dailies. A45, RS3 etc. is now catering to wealthy university students and people who want to give hard pulls in straight lines, as far as I can tell. Focus RS and Type-R are excluded there. 

Found a video perfectly explaining why I love the 3.8 Carrera S engine:

The stitching on the R needs to be blue - there has to be some sort of uniqueness to the model - blue being the official designated colour for the R - blue dials, blue ambient lighting, the stitching should match, just as the GTI has red stitching.

On 3/10/2018 at 2:40 AM, 9924 said:

The stitching on the R needs to be blue - there has to be some sort of uniqueness to the model - blue being the official designated colour for the R - blue dials, blue ambient lighting, the stitching should match, just as the GTI has red stitching.

Perhaps, but I disagree with the dials; that might be too much. 100% for ambient lighting, stitching etc. 

8 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Perhaps, but I disagree with the dials; that might be too much. 100% for ambient lighting, stitching etc. 

Should have been a bit more clearer on the dials, I am referring the blue dial needles as is they are now.

Mind you,  I wouldn't complain if they brought back the blue dials from the Mk4 and Mk5 - God I miss those B)

3 hours ago, 9924 said:

Should have been a bit more clearer on the dials, I am referring the blue dial needles as is they are now.

Mind you,  I wouldn't complain if they brought back the blue dials from the Mk4 and Mk5 - God I miss those B)

Oh with the blue ambient lighting? Yeah completely agree; I loved that esp because no other car had that feature. Was really pleasing on the eyes too during night drives.