We're looking at 2004-2006 range for replacement. Though I wouldn't mind the new ones at all. :P Out of the price range!

Aside from the intermittent Service Engine Soon light and the squeaky fans (which has been fine for years now), the oil light comes on now and starts dinging like crazy - usually it is OK for the beginning of the trip but then it becomes constant, and I've driven it across the city with it chiming all the way.

Also, the heat doesn't seem to work consistently, which is not good for the -30 weather Edmonton has been experiencing.

Wouldn't start today, but that's probably due to the weather.

Ah I see, our 2000 caravan has low mileage (under 100,000) so that is probably why it's not experiencing any of those problems yet. But I would just do minimum maintenance and run it til' it dies.
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Traded my 2013 Jetta 2.5L in yesterday, or at least traded it in over the phone. I'll be picking up my brand new 2017 Golf R when I get home on Tuesday.  Can't wait, all wheel drive and 292hp of pur

Not a single issue with the Jetta - its still a great car.  Its just time for something new before I keep pumping more money into performance upgrades into the Jetta.  I did get around to lowering it,

My new baby girl ...       And my old baby girl - I will miss her ...

Posted Images

That's basically what the plan is for the one we have right now. :P It has 253,000km on it though, so it's had a good run. :P

What year is it?

I hate new design of those Caravans. I rather take a VW Routan, basically the same without a better looking shell imo :P

How does a bus have a clutch? :P

How can it not when it is equipped with a manual trans, like any GM TDM/SDM/PDM?

That said, Inveros do not...

I hate new design of those Caravans. I rather take a VW Routan, basically the same without a better looking shell imo :P

Yes, but with an unwarranted price premium and a lack of Sto'N'Go or Swivel'N'Go (I like Sto; dislike Swivel).

I enjoyed the '09 GC SXT 4.0 we had for a week much more than our long-term '08 T&C. There are some minor suspension tuning tweaks, but it's enough for me to give the thumbs up to our Dodge tester over the Chrysler (oddly, they were equipped IDENTICALLY).

I'd take a station wagon over a van any day. :P

Does anybody have an experience with the 2008 Honda CRV? My dad's girlfriend has one and I'd say its far from from being considered a decent SUV.

I know its not aimed for the traditional purpose of an SUV but for such a thing, the engine in it is so small and sounds like crap for something of that size. Also the build quality seems cheaper than usual for Honda, maybe I am just expecting to much!

I went to close the tailgate and didn't realize it was so light and ended up slamming it, I'm used to the big heavy Volvo wagon tailgates :P

I didn't really like the looks of that new CRV when it came out. It also seems to be much larger than its predecessor. That said, I've never been close to one. :P

Yeah that is one odd thing I noticed, the new CRV design makes it look bigger and the new Pilot design makes it look a lot smaller :P

Well the van was left idling for 15 minutes today now that it's warmer (-13C) and it is running perfectly! For the time being, anyway. It was generating heat, no engine codes stored, and the oil light wasn't on. (Sometimes it is even after letting it idle.)

I'll probably take it for a drive later.

And what do you all think of the Subaru Forester? I have a 2007 and have had no trouble with it at all so far. Built and feels solid, handles well. I bought it brand new about a year and a half ago. Already on second windshield and now that one will need replacing soon! It's also been through the body shop already to get hail damage fixed. I've already put about 45,000 on it already, but I didn't buy it to leave it parked in the garage! I bought it to drive it!

And what do you all think of the Subaru Forester? I have a 2007 and have had no trouble with it at all so far. Built and feels solid, handles well. I bought it brand new about a year and a half ago. Already on second windshield and now that one will need replacing soon! It's also been through the body shop already to get hail damage fixed. I've already put about 45,000 on it already, but I didn't buy it to leave it parked in the garage! I bought it to drive it!

I like Subarus. My grandfather had an old legacy wagon for the longest of time and he absolutely loved it. Whats going on with your windshield?

Did it stall as soon as it started?
No, the starter just clicked. It's happened before when it got that chilly.

Anyway, I drove it around town today - on the way down to my destination it did start with the oil light and chiming again. However, after taking photos and driving back home, everything was fine and how it should be!

Here is my 1997 Toyota Camry- 134500 km, was purchased new for my parents to drive to/from work and became a secondary car in 2003, being driven only about once a week for fall-winter-spring and daily during summer till Spring 2008, where it has since been driven on almost a daily basis. But as most would expect, the Camry still runs great, I love it! It's the XLE model, 2998cc V6 198hp with 4 speed automatic.

Here is a picture of it from today. It's really dirty from the melting snow in Calgary. But I thought it would be cool to put my car beside some old old Fishbowls! The two pictured Fishbowls are ex-Calgary 664 (closest) and 714. Respectively 1972 and 1974 T6H-5307N New Looks.

camry_fishbowls.jpg

Does anybody have an experience with the 2008 Honda CRV? My dad's girlfriend has one and I'd say its far from from being considered a decent SUV.

I know its not aimed for the traditional purpose of an SUV but for such a thing, the engine in it is so small and sounds like crap for something of that size. Also the build quality seems cheaper than usual for Honda, maybe I am just expecting to much!

The current generation CR-V is marketed more as a crossover than an SUV. That said, it is still quite nice to drive, and is functional in its own right. It sounds like a beefier Civic, which I find hilarious. I've driven a few newer ones, and while newish (under 10000 kms) they seem like a solid vehicle.

And what do you all think of the Subaru Forester? I have a 2007 and have had no trouble with it at all so far. Built and feels solid, handles well.

All I will say is you can't go wrong with a Subaru. Very well built they are :lol:

Possible new ride...

Why Dodge of all companies? Of the domestics, I think they've got the poorest quality. (And lousy seats too)

Are you looking for a minivan, or would a Sedan be fine too?

If you're looking at a minivan, don't go domestic: Ford's electrical likes to catch fire (and tranny problems), Chevrolets did poorly in frontal crash tests until the 2006 U-bodies.

As a general trend, I'm noticing that domestic transmissions have started a huge decline in quality in the late 90s. I know two people who've that the trannies in their Chevrolet Impalas go between 120,000 and 150,000. Another guy I know (Szymanovka) has an Aveo with a dying transmission at 120,000.

Be wary of rust on used toyotas. They love to rust in the wheel wells.

If you buy German, be sure that everything works properly. Don't settle for a car with non-working computers (expensive to fix, also means that the engine is tampered with to make it run) and make sure that the engine runs well.

Finally, check everywhere for rust. In the wheel wells, floor, panels, behind the mudflaps (gunk collects in there can can rot the car from the mudflap). Seriously, take the mudflaps off to see if there's rust there. Be wary of plastic panel/trim that covers the metal (Pontiac, old Chevrolet Silverados (~80s) with the silver trim in the tailgate). That trim can collect moisture and rot out the car. Usually this check dosen't matter for most door trim, but for huge panels that cover half the door, make sure you check.

The current generation CR-V is marketed more as a crossover than an SUV. That said, it is still quite nice to drive, and is functional in its own right. It sounds like a beefier Civic, which I find hilarious. I've driven a few newer ones, and while newish (under 10000 kms) they seem like a solid vehicle.

Exactly what I thought when I was in it! :lol:

Exactly what I thought when I was in it! :lol:

BTW, what do you guys think of the new Civics? I have rode is quite a few Civics in my life. One of my uncle's had a 1999 Civic, my other uncle had a 2001 and right now one of my friends at school has a 2006 Civic. It looks way better than the 2001-2005 design, I was never that big of a fan of that look but the 2006-present design looks very nice. The only problem that I have with the Civics is that the back seating is not that big and cannot fit 3 people very comfortably, although I guess if you wanted a Honda sedan that fits 3 people comfortably in the back you'd have to go for the higher priced Accord.