Some auto news:

1. GM is in talks to acquire Chrysler from Cerberus potentially in exchange for GM's 49% stake in GMAC (Cerberus owns the other 51%). GM wants access to Chrysler's 11 billion dollars in cash reserves. The thought out there is that if the merger happens GM will keep minivans and Jeep and get rid of everything else. GM would like to complete this ASAP - hopefully by end of October. GM has also sent out Hummer's financial statements to potential buyers in the hopes of selling this division.

2. Daimler has announced that they will shut down production of Sterling trucks - plants will close in US and Canada (about 3000 people). Will continue production of Freightliner and Western Star.

1. I heard that Indian guy Tata wants to acquire Hummer possibly.

2. Why? Sterling trucks don't sell well?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Traded my 2013 Jetta 2.5L in yesterday, or at least traded it in over the phone. I'll be picking up my brand new 2017 Golf R when I get home on Tuesday.  Can't wait, all wheel drive and 292hp of pur

Not a single issue with the Jetta - its still a great car.  Its just time for something new before I keep pumping more money into performance upgrades into the Jetta.  I did get around to lowering it,

My new baby girl ...       And my old baby girl - I will miss her ...

Posted Images

2. Why? Sterling trucks don't sell well?
The truck market in general is down and Daimler was confident that Sterling customers would switch to its Freightliner trucks if Sterling wasn't around. Freightliner has 15% of the market in North America, while Sterling had 5%.

There's a lot of problems with Chrysler and GM merging even if GM wants that cash reserve. The biggest problem lies in Chrysler, they have some of the least competitive cars in the market. Sebring, Avenger and Caliber being basically the worst cars they make, the Sebring/Avenger particularly. GM is already burdened with too many brands, too many dealers and too many cars, the Malibu is a good example where it got the good attention it deserved...but in order to promote this car GM had to leave out the Aura which is just as good making Saturn dealers upset. Buick is stuck in the middle between Cadillac and Chevrolet, other than China the Buick brand has limited appeal. Pontiac...has no direction, its probably the most doomed division of GM since it no longer has the flashy, exciting cars it once had. After all, what young buyer thinks a Montana is flashy or exciting? The G5 doesn't get the same benefits as the Cobalt does which has the performance driven SS version. The only good parts for GM to take from Chrysler is Jeep and the minivans. The rest of Chrysler...well GM already has proper trucks, their cars at this point are much better developed, and the large SUV lineup Chrysler brings has no future, basically the rest of Chrysler to GM is extra waste it didn't need.

GM gets a sorry deal because they're stuck with even more models, brands, dealers and factories during a time when they should be downsizing. Chrysler gets a sorry deal because this probably means its going to likely die as a group meaning most of its employees will be out of work. I believe Cerberus wants out, realizing it doesn't understand how the auto business works.

There's a lot of problems with Chrysler and GM merging even if GM wants that cash reserve. The biggest problem lies in Chrysler, they have some of the least competitive cars in the market. Sebring, Avenger and Caliber being basically the worst cars they make, the Sebring/Avenger particularly. GM is already burdened with too many brands, too many dealers and too many cars, the Malibu is a good example where it got the good attention it deserved...but in order to promote this car GM had to leave out the Aura which is just as good making Saturn dealers upset. Buick is stuck in the middle between Cadillac and Chevrolet, other than China the Buick brand has limited appeal. Pontiac...has no direction, its probably the most doomed division of GM since it no longer has the flashy, exciting cars it once had. After all, what young buyer thinks a Montana is flashy or exciting? The G5 doesn't get the same benefits as the Cobalt does which has the performance driven SS version. The only good parts for GM to take from Chrysler is Jeep and the minivans. The rest of Chrysler...well GM already has proper trucks, their cars at this point are much better developed, and the large SUV lineup Chrysler brings has no future, basically the rest of Chrysler to GM is extra waste it didn't need.

GM gets a sorry deal because they're stuck with even more models, brands, dealers and factories during a time when they should be downsizing. Chrysler gets a sorry deal because this probably means its going to likely die as a group meaning most of its employees will be out of work. I believe Cerberus wants out, realizing it doesn't understand how the auto business works.

As I said earlier analysts are speculating that if GM merges with Chrysler GM will keep Jeep models and the minivans and discontinue the rest of the Chrysler models. There may also be some rebranding of some of the current GM cars as Dodges/Chryslers. Getting some people laid off at Chrysler and GM is a much better option than for both of those companies to go bankrupt and for all the employees to get laid off. Currently there is an overcapacity in the manufacturing of US cars that is roughly equal to the amount of cars/trucks that Chrysler produces. Getting rid of Chrysler solves the problem of capacity.

I agree with you GM needs to get back to a more pronounced differentiation of brands and as much as possible get rid of overlapping models between their divisions. Their past experience with eliminating Oldsmobile has tought them that getting rid of a division altogether may not be the best option. When GM eliminated Oldsmobile they figured that most Olds customers would simply switch to other GM vehicles, but that didn't happen - they went out and bought a car from their competitors instead.

Cerberus desperately wants out of the car making business.

Even though one of the article said that TDI had the highest MPG, beat over the Prius and set a Guiness World Record.

On the freeway? Yes. Unless you hypermile the thing, you're going to see in-town figures similar to the Prius - although you can have some fun with it while you do just that.

It's on the expressway where the diesel shines - the TDI can cruise at highway speeds for days without breaking a sweat, whereas the Prius' tiny motor has to work much harder to sustain the speeds. As such, the Prius' EPA figures for the highway are actually lower than those of a Yaris.

Hybrids - the Prius especially - make the most sense for drivers who are mostly stuck in never-ending stop/go traffic, as the ability to function with the engine off - saves a considerable amount of fuel (and emissions).

You'll still see good economy out of the TDI in the city. I just wish VW'd equip the US-bound cars with a stop/start (or 'mild hybrid') system like some of the Euro cars do. I see no need to continuously idle at stop lights, but I do see the need to have accessories like my power brakes and steering functional at the same time...

My wish car.

Nice, but stay the hell away from the V-6 car. Get an R/T with a manual and add the Mopar suspension tuning kit to (try and) eliminate some body roll. Check out my photos of it on the Night Photos thread on the photos board.

Saw one of those Challengers on the road the other day!

I've been looking at the new Chevy Aveo, because the cash purchase price is $9995. Don't know if it actually comes in yellow like the ad though. (And yes, that might be a selling point for me. :P)

Saw one of those Challengers on the road the other day!

I've been looking at the new Chevy Aveo, because the cash purchase price is $9995. Don't know if it actually comes in yellow like the ad though. (And yes, that might be a selling point for me. :P)

You want to buy one?

Who told you it was $9995 cash price?

Maybe if my van dies. The oil light has been coming on intermittently, seems like the engine wants to stall out when that happens. I hooked up my ScanGauge II to it now, seems like the RPMs get around 500RPM when the oil light comes on (which is not good, considering it usually idles at 700ish). Doesn't happen too often luckily, but it just started happening. The oil level is fine.

There's a large ad at the University advertising that price, despite everywhere else saying MSRP $13,995 or higher. I need to take a picture of the ad before htey take it down. :P Hyundai Accent is $9995 too, but they at least say with delivery and stuff it's over $11000.

Funny you mention that - I'm in one of those tonight, although it's teal (and yes, you can get it in yellow).

Don't let the price fool you. It's an okay car, but rather unrefined (and powerless) compared to competitors like the Versa and Fit. I'd go with one of those instead.

Yeah, GM revised the car *slightly*, but it's still the same old Aveo - just with a slightly different look. That's not a way to stay competitive in today's market....

Well today i broke down and bought a newer vehicle. my van needs brakes, a lifter is loose or stuck or something, the destroyed bumper and door have been driving me nuts so its time to sell it off. put 14,000km on it in the past 6 months that i had it. for $800 its done its time.

So today i bought a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT

Its in quite excellent condition.

here is a pic of it and more pics can be found at http://www.trolleybus.ca/suv.htm

cropped_suv.jpg

Well today i broke down and bought a newer vehicle. my van needs brakes, a lifter is loose or stuck or something, the destroyed bumper and door have been driving me nuts so its time to sell it off. put 14,000km on it in the past 6 months that i had it. for $800 its done its time.

here is a pic of it and more pics can be found at http://www.trolleybus.ca/suv.htm

cropped_suv.jpg

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that you're a trolleybus fan... :P

cropped_suv.jpg

Didn't you have an MPV or an Aerostar? Pictures of that? And how did you destroy your bumper and door? How many KM did it have at the time you sold it off?

How many KM does the Explorer have?

Didn't you have an MPV or an Aerostar? Pictures of that? And how did you destroy your bumper and door? How many KM did it have at the time you sold it off?

How many KM does the Explorer have?

Yes i had a mazda mpv.

the bumper and door were dented up and crumpled when i bought it. i had planned to replace them but it never happened.

The explorer has 143XXX

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that you're a trolleybus fan... :P

Yeah well i couldnt buy a trolley bus to drive around the city lol.

Remember, i have a wife and 2 small kids, so the vehicle i buy has to work for the family use and my travelling times.

Also i need a vehicle that can handle the weather in the winter as im doing deliveries in the evenings. this is a 4x4 and right now has really awesome Michellan tires on it.

Funny you mention that - I'm in one of those tonight, although it's teal (and yes, you can get it in yellow).

Don't let the price fool you. It's an okay car, but rather unrefined (and powerless) compared to competitors like the Versa and Fit. I'd go with one of those instead.

Yeah, GM revised the car *slightly*, but it's still the same old Aveo - just with a slightly different look. That's not a way to stay competitive in today's market....

There is no yellow color available on the Canadian website. The closest is "gold mist metallic" which seems to be champagne. I realized they just redesigned it, but it looks much better than before! Suzuki Swift still has the old styling. Can't believe they are selling that still, I would get the SX4 over the Swift.

Thanks for your advice though! I would also keep looking at the current generation smarts as well. I don't know if I'd find it underpowered. All the cars I have are probably more underpowered than that. :P

3.0L V6 in a Grand Voyager (they had 3.8L as an option), can't say that's fast acceleration. :D Especially after 251,000+km.

Nor is 0.8L turbo charged diesel in a smart, or a 2.0 4-cylinder in a Chevy Tracker. For some reason the 1.8L 4-cylinder in a Toyota Matrix seems to have a lot more guts than the Chevy.

Funny - I liked the older ItalDesign front fascia better than this abomination. Luckily for us Yanks, we now have the G3 (blargh) to choose from.

The ForTwos are cool, but I think I'm a bit over 'em. If I had to drive/park in densely-populated urban areas day-in, day-out, perhaps they'd appeal to me more than they do.

Your GV may be slow, but I the Aveo seems downright anemic. This example is brand new, and it feels as if there are molasses in the crank case - it's slow to rev both up and down, and it's very thrashy when you try to get it into the torque band - the only way to really move it. Also not a fan of the manual shifter, but long, sloppy throws are to be expected.

I just wish GM would step up their small-car game in the U.S. They've already promised the Beat for overseas markets and were promising one of the other two "Triplet" concepts for NA, but apparently have since rescinded upon that promise.

I hear Canada's also finally getting the Scion brand. xB isn't my favorite vehicle, but it's a bit nicer than Aveo. Perhaps another possibility.

I hear Canada's also finally getting the Scion brand. xB isn't my favorite vehicle, but it's a bit nicer than Aveo. Perhaps another possibility.

Hmmmm, I've seen few of those around as alot of young buyers love the design. So they are finally do come in Canada, I thought they won't be coming at anytime due to low market of interest. I like the coupe though, the Xc something.

This is one of the rare cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shx9fxUfruk