Cars

Double T

Sorry, not sure about bike racks, but if you're adding the weight of 2 bikes to the back of your car without it mounting on to anything, then I can definitely see it being unstable. Have you considered a roof mounted one? (Though I think that requires a sedan...)

I definitely want to test drive this: http://life.national...-45-amg-review/

It was one of those trunk mounted bike racks that mount using hooks and ropes to secure the actual rack to the car. It was snug enough to make me worry about my paint. There were two hooks in the top of the hatch, one on either side, and two on the bottom. I mounted my friend's bike, which is a light Schwinn bike (I haven't tried mine, which is a 4-Cross bike and twice as heavy). When I got out to take it off, the hooks had come off the bottom of the hatch, meaning the bike rack was free swinging on the bottom.

My problem is that my car, being a hatchback, is hard to find compatible bike racks for, but I am also opposed to drilling holes in my car to mount a hitch or top rack.

Sorry, but I rarely visit this thread, what age and mileage was your VW!?

Hi;

Sorry, I ended up talking about VW's, then segwayed into talking about my car without many specifics. :)

I actually had a Hyundai Accent. It was a 2002 and had over 250,000 kms on it by the time I traded it in.

Odd sighting at Davisville Subway station on Friday. I spotted a Fiat Ulysse of all things with the red diplomatic plates on it. I took a shot of it, but I'm apprehensive about posting it since the plate is clearly visible.

Now why would a 2002-onwards spec Fiat Ulysse be in Toronto? Can anybody answer me that?

Having diplomatic plates... that's probably part of your answer. :P

Yep that is the most likely reason for a Fiat Ulysse of that vintage to be in Toronto.

People have ways to import a vehicle? I've seen plenty of right-hand driving vehicle!

Canada has the 15 year rule meaning once a vehicle is 15 years old, all the usual restrictions are thrown out and that they're eligible to import. This is why a few years ago a whole bunch of R32 Nissan Skylines have suddenly shown up and are legally licensed despite being RHD.

• 4 weeks later...

Odd sighting at Davisville Subway station on Friday. I spotted a Fiat Ulysse of all things with the red diplomatic plates on it. I took a shot of it, but I'm apprehensive about posting it since the plate is clearly visible.

Now why would a 2002-onwards spec Fiat Ulysse be in Toronto? Can anybody answer me that?

So? Are you afraid someone is going to "run the plates" to see if they have any outstanding tickets? Regardless of that you can always blur/cover/blot/whatever it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Picking up a 2013 flex titanium edition ( ex demo) tomorrow.

In laws are coming over to stay for an extended period... 6 seater was a must, but no diesels are available to the common man ( dammit)

I got to sit in a Ford Flex, last week, with my friend from a radio station here in Halifax, dammm, its COMFY!

If I could drive, I'd want something smaller most likely, but as I'm a bit of a car/truck/motorcycle geek, I tend to do the "make your own" design feature that many automakers have on their websites..

I <3 the Hyundai Accent, have ridden in one for a long(ish) period of time, was extremely comfy, loved the layout of the center console, & the dash, only thing, wrong color for me! LOL, I'd go with a nice deep blue or deep eggplant purple.

Recently, got to ride in a 2013 Ford Fusion, for 3 hours, it was ok, but just was weird, I didnt like the design but the ride was nice.

My first choice of a vehicle, a Honda Gullwing motorcycle or a 2012 Silverado super cab.

My mother in law, has a 2006 Buick LuCerne, which is way too big & heavy for my liking, the color isnt bad, a deep green, with silver stripe, but its really uncomfortable in the back seat for drives over 7 hours..

This things a beast of fuel..

• 3 years later...

Traded my 2013 Jetta 2.5L in yesterday, or at least traded it in over the phone.

I'll be picking up my brand new 2017 Golf R when I get home on Tuesday.  Can't wait, all wheel drive and 292hp of pure race car fun :)

• Like 1

On 2017-06-14 at 3:49 PM, 9924 said:

Traded my 2013 Jetta 2.5L in yesterday, or at least traded it in over the phone.

I'll be picking up my brand new 2017 Golf R when I get home on Tuesday.  Can't wait, all wheel drive and 292hp of pure race car fun :)

Why did you trade it in? Issues or just got bored of it? Is the Golf R you got an auto or standard?

On 2017-06-16 at 9:07 PM, Matt Demers said:

Why did you trade it in? Issues or just got bored of it? Is the Golf R you got an auto or standard?

Not a single issue with the Jetta - its still a great car.  Its just time for something new before I keep pumping more money into performance upgrades into the Jetta.  I did get around to lowering it, putting 18 x 8.5 RAC's on it, AWE exhaust and a few appearance mods.  I was planning on dropping in a cold air intake with a IE intake manifold and chip tune next year, but that money is now ear marked for the R.  Its just time for something new, something a bit more exciting.

I still haven't seen the new car yet, I won't be home until Monday night - the whole transaction was done over the phone.  My dealer told me it was a 6 speed manual, but even if its the DSG automatic I'll be cool with that.  The only thing I was adamant about is that it had the technology package in it.

For anyone who's unfamiliar with the Golf R ... 

Me thinks, the first mod will be a new radar detector LOL!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time after more than a year, the last time I passed my license, I drove a MT car all alone, while servicing for one of my bosses.

And again, a Japanese car: a Mitsubishi Colt Z30, Kutani Red.

A relatively fun and easy to drive five-speed utility, quite versatile, as I could witness multiple times while helping it's owner.

Meanwhile, I am now looking for a good car under the equivalent of 1000 USD - many have pointed out the Subaru Justy or Cultus/Swift of the early 1990s as being very reliable, capable to beaten up for two decades and still rolling in snow like new.

Or, in other words, I participated on a draw made by Subaru to win a Levorg EyeSight, worth 37,050 CHF, or 38,546 USD.

595be7e372762_Faltprospekt-Frhling-Levorg-1-6DIT-Swiss.thumb.jpg.fa50a0269fd651ec314bd0387db481ca.jpg

I have good plans for this Levorg if I win it; first, I ask if I can have it in white, or if I can exchange for one in white, then secondly, I will project an itasha plan an then send it into a wrap-up workshop when the job has been decided.

The Itasha will eventually carry costs which may rise to as much as 2000 CHF, if I include the case I must get permissions from the original creator - AIC Build of Japan - of the character I want.

Whichever way, I need to buy a definitive car later - if not the Levorg, then I must see for (one or the other should be white) a Daihatsu Coo, a Honda Civic Type R FN2, Accord Type S/R sedan or a well treated Civic Type R FK2 when it's price has fairly dropped below 20,000 CHF, which will still take some time...

You have any other good Japanese sports car potentially under 20,000, you may suggest me whatever you think it's the right car for life. (^^)

• 7 months later...

It's been a while since this thread saw activity, so I thought I'd post this here rather than in the general thread. In a parking lot of a Markham strip plaza I stumbled on this Prius with a green licence plate. I was confused at first since I thought that all green licence plates had to begin with "GVxx" where "GV" stood for "green vehicle", until I realized that the "VExx" was actually French. While I initially took this to mean "véhicule électrique" (electric vehicle), I later read Wikipedia which told me "VE" actually stood for "véhicule écologique" which made sense since this car is not purely electric. Still, it's strange to find a French licence plate in the GTA (particularly with the Pickering dealer plate), and especially rare to see a first-generation Prius plug-in (one of the few 1st-gen plug-ins to be sold in ON). Unfortunately, the second-generation Prius Prime is still a Quebec exclusive for now, but I hope it comes to ON soon and qualifies for these plates by the time I pass my G2 - nothing like cruising on HOV lanes on my own!

IMG_20180214_175127.jpg

42 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

It's been a while since this thread saw activity, so I thought I'd post this here rather than in the general thread. In a parking lot of a Markham strip plaza I stumbled on this Prius with a green licence plate. I was confused at first since I thought that all green licence plates had to begin with "GVxx" where "GV" stood for "green vehicle", until I realized that the "VExx" was actually French. While I initially took this to mean "véhicule électrique" (electric vehicle), I later read Wikipedia which told me "VE" actually stood for "véhicule écologique" which made sense since this car is not purely electric. Still, it's strange to find a French licence plate in the GTA (particularly with the Pickering dealer plate), and especially rare to see a first-generation Prius plug-in (one of the few 1st-gen plug-ins to be sold in ON). Unfortunately, the second-generation Prius Prime is still a Quebec exclusive for now, but I hope it comes to ON soon and qualifies for these plates by the time I pass my G2 - nothing like cruising on HOV lanes on my own!

IMG_20180214_175127.jpg

The VExx plates have been going around for a while; I worked at Downtown Porsche and many Cayenne S- E Hybrids rolled out with VEAA etc. etc.

No offense, but that new Prius thing is god awful looking. I like hybrids, but not the Prius. I don't know what Toyota is doing in the design department, all I know is that they're smoking whatever Lexus is (of course), and it's not good. Seriously, a Camry with 4 exhausts???? 

Also, best to blur out peoples plates...jsyk, that doesn't fly well with many. 

Just discovered this thread, so thought I'd share:

Golf GTI after a bit of messing around in the snow. Excellent for donuts and handbrake turns at the wee hours of the morning. I like to think of them as rewards after studying at the library. 

IMG-2104.JPG

IMG-1927.JPG

• Like 1

Finally acquired a car of my own, therefore liberating the BMW X1 back to my mother.

A 2004 Mazda Tribute will now be my everyday car, that is until I can find a better job to buy my beloved 2018 Civic Type R! ^w^

Either way, I feel very lucky; I could end up with a bug-like car, while this one is is an extremely capable offroad car (I live in the mountains, for the record, and must go about 900m down in nearly 10km).

IMG_20180214_170038.jpg

On 2018-02-14 at 9:34 PM, Doppelkupplung said:

Just discovered this thread, so thought I'd share:

Golf GTI after a bit of messing around in the snow. Excellent for donuts and handbrake turns at the wee hours of the morning. I like to think of them as rewards after studying at the library. 

IMG-2104.JPG

IMG-1927.JPG

No handbrake drifts in the R - stupid, stupid VAG :blink:

6e8aa4094001c58d28970d77a038831a.jpg

9 minutes ago, 9924 said:

No handbrake drifts in the R - stupid, stupid VAG :blink:

Yeah, the E-handbrake revolution is in full force, and winning the battle...:(. At least you get more tail-happiness. I have to turn the traction control into the "especially off" (:P)mode just to get the tail out a bit, and even then I can feel wheels braking without me asking them to....

Though I don't think its mechanically safe to pull the handbrake while moving in a 4 wheel drive car; however, admittedly IDK if this applies to a haldex or not.

One of my buddies from work has a 17 Lapiz Blue R. Has a Remus exhaust, intake and probably some other stuff by now (haven't been in it for a few months), and of course the ol 6 speed manual. Thing is ridonkulous.

I want to look into getting a 2009-12 WRX/WRX STi hatch in the coming years. Stick a roof rack on it for my bike and we'll be all set.

Next step is a Carrera S!