Cars

Double T

The Buick name is big in China, many executive cars there are Buicks. Getting rid of that wouldn't be a good idea, but IMO Buick is kind of a step-child of Cadillac and Chevy.

No, actually a lot of the Buicks in China are regular cars not exactly executive vehicles, in fact the executives there drive Audis(nearly all of them black). Buick is clearly GM's main brand in China since they even use GM-Daewoo normally reserved for Chevrolet. Probably GM's best idea would be to sell the brand to China since its more valuable there than Chevrolet but less valuable elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Like any car, it will probably need maintenance, yeah. Just the added price of owning any vehicle.

My mom's car had an issue with the driver's side window switch, i took the top part of the switch out & now to make the window go up & down, you use a metal screwdriver to jump the two metal pieces on the bottom of the switch :) also i fixed the clock display on the radio by tapping it with my finger, stays on now too :P

Redneck repairs: works for low budget people haha :P

GM news:

The following deals have been announced:

1. Saturn will be sold to Penske. For the first couple of years GM will continue to sell its models there, but after that Penske wants to strike deals with other car makers to distribute their cars under the Saturn nameplate.

2. Hummer will be sold to Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Company Ltd. Initially, GM will continue to make the cars and major components.

3.Opel/Vauxhall will be spun off into a new company owned by GM (35%), Magna (20%), Russian bank Sberbank (35%) and Opel Employees (10%). This deal will prevent Opel from selling cars in the US permanently and in China temporarily.

4. GM will stop making its lineup of medium-duty trucks, because they couldn't find anyone to buy the division. Over the last 2 years two different deals to sell the division fell apart - the first with Navistar, the second with Isuzu.

While no deal has been done for Saab yet, GM keeps saying that they have quite a few interested parties. GM also announced that they will purchase some parts factories (including Steering components) from its former parts division - Delphi. Delphi has been in bankruptcy court since the fall of 2005. Most of the other Delphi assets will be purchased by a private equity firm which will allow Delphi to exit bankruptcy - hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

Chrysler reorganization was completed today. The new Chrylser is owned by Fiat (20%), VEBA (union pension/health care fund, 55%), US government (8%), Canadian government (2%). 8 manufacturing sites, dozens of pieces of real estate, equipment leases and contracts with 789 dealers were left in bankruptcy court. With this deal Fiat became the 6th largest automobile manufacturer in the world.

Fiat hopes to have its vehicles in North American dealerships in as little as 18 months.

3.Opel/Vauxhall will be spun off into a new company owned by GM (35%), Magna (20%), Russian bank Sberbank (35%) and Opel Employees (10%). This deal will prevent Opel from selling cars in the US permanently and in China temporarily.
Correction: The Magna deal involves only Opel. Vauxhall is still in trouble, but British government hopes that they can do a deal with Magna as well.

Update on Ford:

Beijing Auto is said to be interested in Ford's Volvo division.

Not a car, exactly, but this is in my "permanent" fleet:

3605238644_75c79c5aef.jpg

3604423159_1d245769a7.jpg

Needs a bit of carb work; have a rebuild kit on its way. A bit dirty, but not bad for a 27-year-old bike.

For the record, it's the only Honda I've ever really pined after!

I drove a 2009 Mazda 3 the other day and it sure is an improvement over my 2001 Protege. However there are certain deficiencies there too. Left blind spot is pretty bad I find... legroom in the front doesn't meet my high expectations... anyway a new car is much better than an old one in the end!

I drove a 2009 Mazda 3 the other day and it sure is an improvement over my 2001 Protege. However there are certain deficiencies there too. Left blind spot is pretty bad I find... legroom in the front doesn't meet my high expectations... anyway a new car is much better than an old one in the end!

I agree on what you're saying about new cars are better than old cars but I also have to disagree cause older cars can be pretty good too. Regular oil change, tune ups etc all it needs. Just take care of the car like I do with my car Tig. I had a chance to drive a 09 Ford Focus and even tho it's a nice ride I still prefer my car over that anyday of the week. A 99 Totota Corolla.

Here are some recent pics of Tig. Actually I took it today. All around pix.

IMG_6964a.jpg

IMG_6965a.jpg

IMG_6966a.jpg

IMG_6967a.jpg

I agree on what you're saying about new cars are better than old cars but I also have to disagree cause older cars can be pretty good too. Regular oil change, tune ups etc all it needs. Just take care of the car like I do with my car Tig. I had a chance to drive a 09 Ford Focus and even tho it's a nice ride I still prefer my car over that anyday of the week. A 99 Totota Corolla.

Here are some recent pics of Tig. Actually I took it today. All around pix.

WOW, looking great for a 10 year old car! I see your neighbor had a similar Corolla as well. :rolleyes:

How many KMs ya got on that baby?

Mazda still seems to have that premature corrosion issue. On the 3's, it starts at the rear fender(s). Older Honda's tradition carries on...

WOW, looking great for a 10 year old car! I see your neighbor had a similar Corolla as well. :rolleyes:

How many KMs ya got on that baby?

Thanks! I keep tigger running well. Regular change etc. My car is my baby pretty much. Went to Indiana 3 times, Kentucky and Chicago once, Alot of Ontario cities. Out of all the milage I did with Tig, he still runs very well. Also took Tig on the race track and he handled it like a pro. Cayuga this August for him. The neighbor still has their corolla but I don't think they keep it well like I do with Tig.

As of today the milage on Tig is 242477.

Have more plans for Tig as well. Flames on the sides, Nice rims, Spoiler and maybe a woofer in the trunk. Tig got Tinted a few months ago. I was thinking of having him lowered but scrapped the idea cause how some of our streets are.

I don't agree that new cars are better than old, its case by case really. GM, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Ford and Nissan are making better cars than they used to, especially Hyundai and Kia. I'd say the German vehicles are pretty neutral, some things have gotten better particularly on the technical side other things haven't ie. BMW replacing unbreakable dipsticks with a oil sensor(what a stupid move!) or VW charging lots of money for Mexican built VWs which sadly are badly built. Automakers in decline however goes to Toyota and Chrysler, Toyota suffering some quality issues with even Lexus models which in the past was unthinkable. Its surprising considering Toyota has spent far more time with bread and butter vehicles than it has with anything performance oriented. While Chrysler having a lot more major issues(there isn't a week where I don't see a Chrysler product back to the shop), this isn't surprising considering how badly the Germans(Mercedes) ran the company.

Keep in mind I drive a 23 year old Toyota while driving brand new to 2 year old cars at work, I would have bought new if I thought it warranted the money.

• Board Admin

A couple of us from the board saw a Scion tC here in Edmonton, with Alberta plates... makes me wonder where in the world that came from, because Scions aren't supposed to be here until 2010. Unless of course they mean their "model year"...

Haven't seen any ads or anything for them though. Has anyone else here spotted a Scion registered in a Canadian province?

Haven't seen any ads or anything for them though. Has anyone else here spotted a Scion registered in a Canadian province?

I've seen a couple Scions driving around Toronto in the past year but I never looked at the licence plates. They were all first gen xBs that I saw.

Thanks! I keep tigger running well. Regular change etc. My car is my baby pretty much. Went to Indiana 3 times, Kentucky and Chicago once, Alot of Ontario cities. Out of all the milage I did with Tig, he still runs very well. Also took Tig on the race track and he handled it like a pro. Cayuga this August for him. The neighbor still has their corolla but I don't think they keep it well like I do with Tig.

As of today the milage on Tig is 242477.

Have more plans for Tig as well. Flames on the sides, Nice rims, Spoiler and maybe a woofer in the trunk. Tig got Tinted a few months ago. I was thinking of having him lowered but scrapped the idea cause how some of our streets are.

ARe you the original owner?

A couple of us from the board saw a Scion tC here in Edmonton, with Alberta plates... makes me wonder where in the world that came from, because Scions aren't supposed to be here until 2010. Unless of course they mean their "model year"...

Some people imported them into Canada to use or sell.

I hope not. :P

Whats wrong with a 2004 Corolla?

Are you the original owner?

Yes I'm the owner of Tig but Tig is a second hand car. The first owners were from Timmins (Pretty much I found out when I cleaned the glove compartment and found photo copied Drivers license, Ownership etc also Reciepts from Timmins stores). How Tig made his way to a Used car dealership in Scarborough I dunno.

They were imported from the US, the RIV has changed its rules regarding what cars are allowed for import recently. The only reason I know is I saw an ad from a Toyota dealership selling a 2002 MR2, a vehicle I remembered was indefinitely banned not to long ago and its now off the RIV's list and it seems the Scion tC also has been removed. The only Toyota vehicles left that you cannot import are a 1994 Tercel(no idea why this specific year) and a 2000 SC300/400(again no idea why this year is singled out)