Greyhound Spottings & Photos

3 hours ago, traildriver said:

Not sure what difference it makes, but weren't those fitted with trailer hitches and glad hand connection's for GLC trailer's?  They could easily be removed, so doubt it, but who knows?

They may have been. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen one unfortunately. I was more wondering if there was some underlying mechanical or other oddity that made them transfer them up to Canada because maybe they didn’t fit with the rest of the X’s or something. 

8 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Was there anything particularly odd about the 8800’s as compared to the 86000+ units? 

4 hours ago, traildriver said:

Not sure what difference it makes, but weren't those fitted with trailer hitches and glad hand connection's for GLC trailer's?  They could easily be removed, so doubt it, but who knows?

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

They may have been. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen one unfortunately. I was more wondering if there was some underlying mechanical or other oddity that made them transfer them up to Canada because maybe they didn’t fit with the rest of the X’s or something. 

The 8800 series were used on the Lucky Streak service to Atlantic City, and I think they were higher mileage than typical X3-45s as a result, so they likely required more work, and may have had different specifications (such as different seating/higher seating density). They were also one year older than the earliest 86000s.

Pure speculation here, but Greyhound Canada may have needed more accessible buses (most of the lift-equipped units were D4500s that were in the process of retiring) Around the early 2010s, the Canadian fleet with wheelchair lifts would have consisted of 2000-2001 D4500s 1126-1147 (only 11 of which were refurbished), 2006 D4505s 1263-1265, and 1999 102-DL3 1325. More Canadian units were being used in pool service to NYC and Boston in the years before Greyhound Canada shuttered, which would have required additional wheelchair-equipped units.

Greyhound Lines can run the buses with the trailer hitches installed, there's no need to uninstall them. I'd say trailer-equipped buses in Canada ran without trailers more often than with trailers...

13 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Was there anything particularly odd about the 8800’s as compared to the 86000+ units? 

Night and day. The 88's had a 12 speed ZFast transmission and Detroit Diesel 60 engine combination, it was an absolute nightmare. For some odd reason, it didn't mesh well together, they were always breaking down. They were supposed to be sent out west after installing the trailer hitches but, those garages didn't have the proper software nor the training to do the scheduled maintenance.

The 86000's and 0600's with the 6 speed Allison transmission and Detroit series was still a terrible combination. The 86000's were very sluggish while accelerating while the 0600's was more tamed. 

86100+ and 0634+ had the newer Volvo engines, pedal to the metal when the light turns green, and those buses took off like you were driving an Audi S4 off the line.

5 hours ago, Articulated said:

The 8800 series were used on the Lucky Streak service to Atlantic City, and I think they were higher mileage than typical X3-45s as a result, so they likely required more work, and may have had different specifications (such as different seating/higher seating density). They were also one year older than the earliest 86000s.

Pure speculation here, but Greyhound Canada may have needed more accessible buses (most of the lift-equipped units were D4500s that were in the process of retiring) Around the early 2010s, the Canadian fleet with wheelchair lifts would have consisted of 2000-2001 D4500s 1126-1147 (only 11 of which were refurbished), 2006 D4505s 1263-1265, and 1999 102-DL3 1325. More Canadian units were being used in pool service to NYC and Boston in the years before Greyhound Canada shuttered, which would have required additional wheelchair-equipped units.

Greyhound Lines can run the buses with the trailer hitches installed, there's no need to uninstall them. I'd say trailer-equipped buses in Canada ran without trailers more often than with trailers...

100% correct 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 6:00 AM, ns8401 said:

Oh good, they will fit right in amongst the smashed up X3’s they already have. Finding an X3 that isn’t bent all to hell is like finding a needle in a haystack. Some of that damage is mind blowing. Maybe the 0600’s aren’t all that bad on the outside, not sure if the Canadian folks could keep it between the lines but I seem to remember their stuff being better looking. But it won’t take long to redecorate if they need a good smashing, corporate image to maintain and all. 

I would imagine it’s gonna be the ones they wrapped in the Greyhound scheme mostly?

I wouldn't hold my breath on those 600s unless all their electrical problems were solved. When we first got them in Vancouver, nothing but codes and electrical problems kept them in the garage very often. Wonder if they still smell like limestone inside to this day.

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2021 at 4:52 AM, traildriver said:

IEven if they left them on wouldnt be an issue

• 4 months later...

This was MI-151. It’s a 2019 X3-45. Since all of the lettering is gone I’m assuming the state took it back. The other 3 Michigan coaches are still running around as normal. It’s at Indian Trails yard so either they are holding it for the state or it’s being given to them for their state service.

676EF78B-38DC-4431-A2AE-0ACC25D48411.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Is the lakeshore facility still open? Where will the buses be stored and serviced?

The Detroit to Chicago Greyhound buses get serviced in Chicago. Indian Trails has its own facilities at its 3 garages in Kalamazoo, Owosso (between Lansing and Flint) and Romulus (Detroit Metro Airport) and they service their own intercity coaches there.

Greyhound had to give this one up because they dropped their run from Detroit to Muskegon last year. It will be wrapped for Indian Trails and put in service in the next few weeks.   

• 1 month later...