Jump to content
BCT-3122-D800-10240

Greyhound Spottings & Photos

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Articulated said:

I paid a visit to the Greyhound yard in Toronto today, as I was generally in the area and had some free time. The yard is now crammed full of buses, many of them transferred from out west. From what I could see from the roadway, by area:

Parked on nearby streets (active): 0634, 6963, 30989, 86073

Parked on West/North sides (generally active buses, some waiting for repairs): 624, 625, 627, 630, 1288, 1291, 6021, 6055, 6073, 6093, 6124, 6175, 6315, 6321, 6366, 6511, 6563, 8870, 8872, 8878, 86269

Parked on East side (this is generally the "boneyard" area): 629, 1168, 1173, 1265, 1276, 6000, 6001, 6017, 6056, 6082, 6100, 6123, 6202, 6207, 6260, 6262, 6286, and at least a dozen more that were too tightly parked to make out fleet numbers. The bolded units are ones that were previously in Western Canada - it appears they simply drove them out to Toronto and parked them.

A bunch of trailers were parked in various parts of the yard, including 3130, 3132, 3136, 3137, 3140, 3147, 3160. Trailers aren't in use in Ontario anymore, so I suspect that these were towed across with buses carrying parts and other materials from Western Canada depots/offices/yards/etc.

Some more miscellaneous notes:

  • A bunch of the lower 6xx series X3-45 coaches are parked in the Toronto yard, most of which are still in white. 630 and an unknown unit had their numbers removed (potentially in advance of being sold?), and 625 still had its First Canada logos on it. Most/all of the 6xx series in active service have had the navy/silver livery applied and retrofitted with wheelchair lifts by now, so any units parked in the yard still in white makes me think they will not get used by Greyhound.
  • 1278 has been completely repainted and is in ghost white, with only a single fleet number over the door and a few Greyhound dog logos - I wonder if it is being prepped for sale.
  • 6055 has Driver Training decals applied, so it's been removed from regular passenger service.
  • 6563 (US) is parked in the Toronto yard with obvious signs of fire damage, with the rear of the bus tarped off.
  • It was difficult to see, but 8870 had its license plate removed and its rear bumper and possibly engine were removed. Seems like it's been retired.

Wow, 1265 in the boneyard?? They spent a boat load of money on that bus to rebuild it and countless hours keeping that thing running. It never let me down when I worked on it. Lots of work done on it too. Shame to see it go. Those trailers were in pretty rough shape too. Especially the white ones. Not surprised if those go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 9:19 PM, translink fan said:

Wow, 1265 in the boneyard?? They spent a boat load of money on that bus to rebuild it and countless hours keeping that thing running. It never let me down when I worked on it. Lots of work done on it too. Shame to see it go. Those trailers were in pretty rough shape too. Especially the white ones. Not surprised if those go.

Yeah I was sort of surprised that 1265 was parked in the boneyard area too, knowing the amount of work they did to it fairly recently.

Here's some photos from the visit last week (all taken from outside of the property). First 3 photos taken on the east side of the property, showing buses sitting or awaiting repairs, including 8870 in a cannibalized state. Next two photos are on the west side, showing the "boneyard" area and the coaches packed tightly in. 1265 isn't visible in these photos, but position-wise, in the 4th photo, 629 is the coach on the far right, beside it is 1276, then 1265 is beside it (appears to be the furthest coach from the road on the north side). Last photo is of 1287.

P1320325.jpg

P1320326.jpg

P1320347.jpg

P1320350.jpg

P1320353.jpg

1287-181224.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, translink fan said:

Wow, 1265 in the boneyard?? They spent a boat load of money on that bus to rebuild it and countless hours keeping that thing running. It never let me down when I worked on it. Lots of work done on it too. Shame to see it go. Those trailers were in pretty rough shape too. Especially the white ones. Not surprised if those go.

I wonder if maybe some are parked in yards just because of lack of space...If they choose to bring them west and they had no issues I cant see them being scrapped or retired. Maybe some are just mothballed as I guess now they probably have too many extra buses out East! Yeah and I agree with 1265 out of all the 4505's it was in the absoulute best shape and they did spend lots on it. The Trailers are All blue about 5-6 years old, so in pretty decent shape. I know they sold a bunch of trailers in the west prior to Oct.31

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, traildriver said:

Nice shot of NYT H3-45   82181 in the third photo...

NYT obviously putting their best equipment into the pool at times....🙂

I have great respect for Adirondack Trailways! They remind me of my former employer Pacific Western Transportation! Very Safety Cultured!

23 hours ago, Articulated said:

Yeah I was sort of surprised that 1265 was parked in the boneyard area too, knowing the amount of work they did to it fairly recently.

Here's some photos from the visit last week (all taken from outside of the property). First 3 photos taken on the east side of the property, showing buses sitting or awaiting repairs, including 8870 in a cannibalized state. Next two photos are on the west side, showing the "boneyard" area and the coaches packed tightly in. 1265 isn't visible in these photos, but position-wise, in the 4th photo, 629 is the coach on the far right, beside it is 1276, then 1265 is beside it (appears to be the furthest coach from the road on the north side). Last photo is of 1287.

 

1287-181224.jpg

I wonder if that bus will be paying a visit to Turbo Images for a wrap job in the "New Greyhound" look. Looks like it got some serious body work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NeOn Bus Rider said:

I have great respect for Adirondack Trailways! They remind me of my former employer Pacific Western Transportation! Very Safety Cultured!

I wonder if that bus will be paying a visit to Turbo Images for a wrap job in the "New Greyhound" look. Looks like it got some serious body work.

1265 is safe. Every D4505 will eventually be wrapped and retrofitted with power outlets. I hear the plan is to keep 140 coaches in the Canadian fleet and scrap/sell the DL3's.

But for the most part all the dl3's in the photos are awaiting parts.

Here's 1330 wrapped in the new livery. The interior hasn't been touched and the Aesys KC640 hasn't been added.

20181128_154941.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, INowKnowwhY said:

1265 is safe. Every D4505 will eventually be wrapped and retrofitted with power outlets. I hear the plan is to keep 140 coaches in the Canadian fleet and scrap/sell the DL3's.

But for the most part all the dl3's in the photos are awaiting parts.

Here's 1330 wrapped in the new livery. The interior hasn't been touched and the Aesys KC640 hasn't been added.

20181128_154941.jpg

wow, that was fast, not even all the white Prevost X3s are done and this unit beat them to it lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, INowKnowwhY said:

1265 is safe. Every D4505 will eventually be wrapped and retrofitted with power outlets. I hear the plan is to keep 140 coaches in the Canadian fleet and scrap/sell the DL3's.

But for the most part all the dl3's in the photos are awaiting parts.

Here's 1330 wrapped in the new livery. The interior hasn't been touched and the Aesys KC640 hasn't been added.

Thanks for the update!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Dane said:

Is that a Alberta plate?

Yes... everything in the Greyhound Canada fleet has Alberta plates. Even after they pulled out of operating in that province.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Yes... everything in the Greyhound Canada fleet has Alberta plates. Even after they pulled out of operating in that province.

Now the question I want to ask. Would they have to get Ontario & Quebec plates later on as they are no longer based out that way anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Yes... everything in the Greyhound Canada fleet has Alberta plates. Even after they pulled out of operating in that province.

Are they still allowed to keep their Alberta plates even if all their routes in the province has been relinquished?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only speak for BC but the two laws that apply would both require re-platong or a provincial bus operator plate, minimally. 

 

Alberta may be more liberal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 4:25 PM, INowKnowwhY said:

Are they still allowed to keep their Alberta plates even if all their routes in the province has been relinquished?

These plates are governed by IRP rules. All states and provinces that are signatories to the agreement follow the same standards. In order to do your base plates in a specific jurisdiction you are required to have a physical location in that state/province. One company I worked for, due to a long, complicated corporate history, ended up with our plates in a state where we no longer had a bus company. 

Instead we leased an office and hired an accountant to work remotely to sit alone in that office. She also handled forwarding the mail regarding registration that went to that address to the person elsewhere in the company that actually took care of that for us.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:22 PM, Dane said:

I can only speak for BC but the two laws that apply would both require re-platong or a provincial bus operator plate, minimally. 

 

Alberta may be more liberal? 


@Dane - BC requires a provincial bus operator license in addition to an appropriate IRP registration for non-domiciled vehicles. The PT license for out of state operators is ineffective and a real pain in the rear. And they just rubber stamp whatever you submit anyways ... as long as all the documentation they've requested is there and accounted for, you're good to go.

I have a story somewhere about our office nearly missing the deadline for that paperwork, me frantically gathering it all and pulling it together from the maintenance files in the shop, copying it, writing a cover letter, running down to FedEx to have it delivered overnight, only to have FedEx call me the next day and tell me the office has moved and its non-deliverable. 

As I noted above, as long as someone has a physical presence - an office with one person employed in it, BC would allow you to continue to do IRP registration through them, even though you're not regularly operating there. 

EDIT - Oregon also requires a bunch of extra stuff in addition to the IRP. That is because, instead of apportioning out the fuel-tax, like pretty much all the other states and provinces, through the IRP, they charge a weight-mile tax. If you don't have a permanent Oregon permit, you can stop at a port of entry, register, and the stop again on your way out of the state and pay the applicable weight-mile tax. That's a pain, so you have to do some additional registration work with Oregon. The software that tracks and remits your IRP mileage taxes to the appropriate registrations will show a $0 due to Oregon for the apportioned fuel-mile tax, and you have to separately calculate your weight-miles tax and remit that to the State of Oregon. Also a giant pain, but generally handled by the accountants without too much problem.

EDIT - In case you want to know more... here's the full IRP agreement and the relevant section (https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.irponline.org/resource/resmgr/publications/irp_plan_2019.pdf

Turns out, you do need to accrue distance in your base jurisdiction. In the example above about Greyhound - if they make sure to drive one bus ten miles into Alberta once a year, and back out, and do the office space / accountant trick I outlined above, they meet the requirements.

305 SELECTION OF BASE JURISDICTION
(a) An Applicant may elect as its Base Jurisdiction any Member Jurisdiction (i) where the
Applicant has an Established Place of Business, (ii) where the Fleet the Applicant seeks to
register under the Plan accrues distance, and (iii) where Records of the Fleet are maintained
or can be made available.
(b) An Applicant that does not have an Established Place of Business in any Jurisdiction may
designate as a Base Jurisdiction any Member Jurisdiction (i) where the Applicant can
demonstrate Residence, (ii) where the Fleet the Applicant seeks to register under the Plan
accrues distance, and (iii) where Records of the Fleet are maintained or can be made
available.
(c) To establish Residence in a Member Jurisdiction, an Applicant must demonstrate to the
satisfaction of the Member Jurisdiction at least three of the following:
(i) if the Applicant is an individual, that his or her driver’s license is issued by that
Jurisdiction,
(ii) if the Applicant is a corporation, that it is incorporated or registered to conduct
business as a foreign corporation in that Jurisdiction,
(iii) if the Applicant is a corporation, that the principal owner is a resident of that
Jurisdiction,
(iv) that the Applicant’s federal income tax returns have been filed from an address in
that Jurisdiction,
(v) that the Applicant has paid personal income taxes to that Jurisdiction,
(vi) that the Applicant has paid real estate or personal property taxes to that
Jurisdiction,
(vii) that the Applicant receives utility bills in that Jurisdiction in its name,
(viii) that the Applicant has a Vehicle titled in that Jurisdiction in its name, or 
29
(ix) that other factors clearly evidence the Applicant’s legal Residence in that
Jurisdiction.
Official Commentary
If more than one Member Jurisdiction could qualify as a Base Jurisdiction for an Applicant, the
Applicant may choose which of them it will apply to for apportioned registration under the Plan.
This serves to preserve the necessary but limited flexibility in the choice of a Base Jurisdiction.
It is not the intent of this section to permit a Registrant to manipulate the selection of a Base
Jurisdiction in order to avoid the payment of Apportionable Fees on the basis of 100 percent of the
distance traveled by its Fleet.
This Section provides a three-part test under subsection (a) for the determination of Base
Jurisdiction. All three parts must be met in order for a Member Jurisdiction to qualify as a Base
Jurisdiction.
The Plan offers Residence as an alternative criterion to Established Place of Business only for those
Applicants who cannot demonstrate that they meet the Established Place of Business requirement.
With respect to the accrual by a Fleet of distance in the Base Jurisdiction, the requirement is to be
applied only to the Fleet as a whole; each individual Vehicle of a Fleet need not enter the Base
Jurisdiction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 8:39 PM, Articulated said:

I paid a visit to the Greyhound yard in Toronto today, as I was generally in the area and had some free time. The yard is now crammed full of buses, many of them transferred from out west. From what I could see from the roadway, by area:

Parked on nearby streets (active): 0634, 6963, 30989, 86073

Parked on West/North sides (generally active buses, some waiting for repairs): 624, 625, 627, 630, 1288, 1291, 6021, 6055, 6073, 6093, 6124, 6175, 6315, 6321, 6366, 6511, 6563, 8870, 8872, 8878, 86269

Parked on East side (this is generally the "boneyard" area): 629, 1168, 1173, 1265, 1276, 6000, 6001, 6017, 6056, 6082, 6100, 6123, 6202, 6207, 6260, 6262, 6286, and at least a dozen more that were too tightly parked to make out fleet numbers. The bolded units are ones that were previously in Western Canada - it appears they simply drove them out to Toronto and parked them.

A bunch of trailers were parked in various parts of the yard, including 3130, 3132, 3136, 3137, 3140, 3147, 3160. Trailers aren't in use in Ontario anymore, so I suspect that these were towed across with buses carrying parts and other materials from Western Canada depots/offices/yards/etc.

Some more miscellaneous notes:

  • A bunch of the lower 6xx series X3-45 coaches are parked in the Toronto yard, most of which are still in white. 630 and an unknown unit had their numbers removed (potentially in advance of being sold?), and 625 still had its First Canada logos on it. Most/all of the 6xx series in active service have had the navy/silver livery applied and retrofitted with wheelchair lifts by now, so any units parked in the yard still in white makes me think they will not get used by Greyhound.
  • 1278 has been completely repainted and is in ghost white, with only a single fleet number over the door and a few Greyhound dog logos - I wonder if it is being prepped for sale.
  • 6055 has Driver Training decals applied, so it's been removed from regular passenger service.
  • 6563 (US) is parked in the Toronto yard with obvious signs of fire damage, with the rear of the bus tarped off.
  • It was difficult to see, but 8870 had its license plate removed and its rear bumper and possibly engine were removed. Seems like it's been retired.

I just heard that Greyhound USA has requested Greyhound Canada to prep 50 buses to send down to the states. Most of these buses that you saw is apart of the list and will be gone permanently.

Apparently they need the additional buses for driver training purposes. 

I'm also wondering if they are covering the 45 buses that were pulled out of service by DOT at the Chicago garage last summer.

I'll try and get unit #'s and post them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, INowKnowwhY said:

I just heard that Greyhound USA has requested Greyhound Canada to prep 50 buses to send down to the states. Most of these buses that you saw is apart of the list and will be gone permanently.

Apparently they need the additional buses for driver training purposes. 

I'm also wondering if they are covering the 45 buses that were pulled out of service by DOT at the Chicago garage last summer.

I'll try and get unit #'s and post them.

Were the 45 that were pulled not repairable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spotted 1330 in the new livery at the Toronto Coach Terminal. A tow truck from A Towing later came to pick it up.

IMG_4189.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 11:59 PM, ns8401 said:

Were the 45 that were pulled not repairable?

No they couldn't be repaired. The frames were cracked.

I managed to obtain a partial list of some of the buses being exported down south:

60578, 6075, 6079, 6106, 6110, 6111, 6128, 6172, 6193, 6200, 6272 and 6321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 2044 said:

Spotted 1330 in the new livery at the Toronto Coach Terminal. A tow truck from A Towing later came to pick it up.

IMG_4189.JPG

Looks new... not running any better...

7 hours ago, INowKnowwhY said:

No they couldn't be repaired. The frames were cracked.

I managed to obtain a partial list of some of the buses being exported down south:

60578, 6075, 6079, 6106, 6110, 6111, 6128, 6172, 6193, 6200, 6272 and 6321

Oh look... more 102DL3 units... do these have lifts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×