Greyhound Spottings & Photos

Scanned up a few older shots taken a few years ago of Greyhound Canada units in Calgary. But one question; I have forgotten when the old Greyhound Maintenance Garage in Downtown Calgary was actually closed. I thought these photos were taken sometime in 2004, but I believe that the Garage was closed previous to 2004. Can anyone refresh my memory on this?

Anyways, enjoy the pics:

798left.jpg

933left.jpg

969.jpg

1187left.jpg

1233left.jpg

Hmmm. Anyone have shots of Greyhound US buses clearly still carrying Oklahoma plates? My understanding is GH moved their US headquarters to Texas around 2004 or 05, and the plates were changed to Texas ones at that time. Too bad as Oklahoma had an actual plate marked "Apportioned Bus" whereas Texas trucks and buses all share the same basic apportioned plate. Apportioned plates signify cross-jurisdictional travel.

• Board Admin

The descriptions on my website are as follows...

glc-eauclaire2.jpg

This photo shows the garage door area of the Eau Claire shops when it was still being used by Greyhound. This building is no longer used by Greyhound, and is to be torn down in the future.

2003-08-11

This photo shows the other garage door area of the Eau Claire shops. This building is no longer used by Greyhound, and is to be torn down in the future.

2004-07-11

So sometime in that year I would assume it was shut down. :P Sorry, don't have a real date.

Wow. EXCELLENT photos by Peter. But what I find strange is that these GH buses have Ontario plates. That's a first for me. 99% of GH stuff I've seen had Alberta plates.

As a point of interest in case anyone cares, the BP2 plates shown on 1293 and 1294 above are actually quite scarce. Only about 850 have been issued since 1994. Ontario is the only province which manufactures a specific plate for PRP (out of province line haul use) buses.

Cool information to know!

That brings up the question of why those ones have Ontario plates to begin with. Like you said, most Greyhound stuff has Alberta plates, as it is based in Calgary.

Those XL-II's may have initially been registered under the Ottawa/Voyageur pool when Greyhound Canada acquired them. Looking back at some photos I took, the ex-Voyageur coaches that operated on the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal route have the Ontario plates. For the most part up until recently the XL-II's were exclusively seen along the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor. I have some photos of Voyageur units that carry Ontario plates below.

gloc1259.jpg

voyageur7727.jpg

voyageur5604.jpg

VERY cool. Thank you so much Allen for sharing these. I happen to really like that scheme with the GH swoosh and the old name like Grey Goose, Voyageur or Gray Line. I think it's neat to see those historic names on relatively modern coaches.

Indeed, these have the rare BP2 plates. Very nice to see this confirmation.

VERY cool. Thank you so much Allen for sharing these. I happen to really like that scheme with the GH swoosh and the old name like Grey Goose, Voyageur or Gray Line. I think it's neat to see those historic names on relatively modern coaches.

Indeed, these have the rare BP2 plates. Very nice to see this confirmation.

Your welcome

Ok... Exactly how many and what fleet numbers of D4505's does Greyhound Canada actually have? I know of #'s 1263-1292, 1296-1302 and now this one shown below; #1333. Interesting! And I have photos of MCI 45 foot D series that are numbered 1317 and 1322 and a few others that I saw on my recent Toronto and area trip.

5233gh1333.jpg

The 13's so far are all second hand (exception being 1300-1302). 1303-131X are ex-Classic Coach D4500's, they also have some ex-Hotard D4500's as well as D4505 which are in the late 1320-1330 series. Why Hotard would sell off brand new D4505's is beyond me. Hard to say how many they have seeing how Strayhound went offline. Can anyone hook us up with an official roster?

Those XL-II's may have initially been registered under the Ottawa/Voyageur pool when Greyhound Canada acquired them. Looking back at some photos I took, the ex-Voyageur coaches that operated on the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal route have the Ontario plates. For the most part up until recently the XL-II's were exclusively seen along the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor. I have some photos of Voyageur units that carry Ontario plates below.

gloc1259.jpg

voyageur7727.jpg

voyageur5604.jpg

#7727 was originally PMCL #727. I have fond memories of working on that bus.

thanks for the pics.

Couple more pictures taken when I should be working.. :P

884 in the shop for a starter and RH Tag tire

1236 broken down on Hwy 16 & Hwy 36

1223 after arriving from Ft. McMurray on the flatdeck. (CTS just loves us)

Just wanted to contribute some pics I have on the American side. All are in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (8871 of course is in its own thread, as it may be the first ever Prevost for the American operation.)

1103.jpg

2918-F.jpg

2918-R.jpg

7061.jpg

Also, forgive me if this is covered...but how many paint schemes has Greyhound had in its history? I only know of one used up until 2000 or so, then the one that first appeared on the G's (and some D series coaches), and then the current "Ghost" scheme.

BTW, I like the one on 7061 most.

Some older schemes (shot elsewhere):

2792 (Not sure if this bus is active---shot May 2006; Philadelphia)

2792.jpg

1072 (New York City; June 2006)

1072.jpg

6027 (Newark, NJ; July 2006)

6027.jpg

85776 (Newark, NJ; July 2006)

85776.jpg

40185 (New Britain, CT; March 2007)

40185.jpg

1031 (Greyhound Canada; to Kitchener, Toronto, ON; March 2006)

C1031.jpg

Here's a shot of 1330 when it was used for the "Alberta Votes" election bus by Global Edmonton and Global Calgary during the last provincial election (early 08??). Taken from Global Edmontons Facebook page.

It probably looks better than it does now when I shot it in NYC...are Greyhound Canada buses (except for QuickLink) all provinces services from Ontario to British Columbia?)

It probably looks better than it does now when I shot it in NYC...are Greyhound Canada buses (except for QuickLink) all provinces services from Ontario to British Columbia?)

Ok.. No offence but I'm having a stupid moment.. Don't know if it's the way you worded your question or if the way I'm reading it but it confuses me, lol... so I'll try to answer as best I can..

More so since Greyhound was bought by First Group, they have an "assigned fleet" for major garages.

If you look on the rear by the unit numbers, you'll see a "colour coded sticker", which indicates where the unit is assigned... VAN is red, EDM is Green, WPG is yellow, TOR is Black, OTG (Ottawa) is orange from what I've seen. EDM units run in Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan and I THINK (stress the "think") Manitoba. In Edmonton, I mainly see BC, Alberta and the odd Manitoba and Toronto units.. Clear as mud??

Other than that, Greyhound Canada has routes throughout BC, Alberta, Manitoba, and Ontario.. Not sure about Quebec and east. Greyhound only travels through Saskatchewan, as STC has running rights. Only routes Greyhound can run through Saskatchewan are along Highway 1 and Highway 16.. (anybody can feel free to correct me on this)

Hope that answered that question... lol