new transit system by 2009

t_harris01

Hello...

Me and my girlfriend are looking to buy a GM new look from A-1 soon and we are thinking of starting a transit system as Greyhound currently is not providing any sort of service maybe 2 times a day excluding sundre... If anyone knows where to order a destination sign, farebox or wants to help out in establishing this transit service or be provide information where to obtain these items call 475-6386 or email trevorharris33@hotmail.com thanks

Trevor Harris

• Board Admin

Running a bus service can be expensive. But if there is demand for it, that's awesome. Take into consideration liability insurance and rising fuel costs. Not sure what other regional costs there are/permits would need to be obtained, but I would be interested to find out.

Some of ETS's old buses (also bought from A1) run in Calgary. I'm sure some of those buses already have fareboxes, but eBay might be a good place to look. Not sure where you can order destination signs though. The best I can do for you is print large banners.

Bus 12 that was in A1 yard already has a sign in it but we might use it and just maybe paint over some old parts of it and put our routes in it... i will look at ebay for fareboxes...and i wonder if the best option is to ask the town of olds,sundre and didsbury what they require and with fuel we can handle that thats fine...and what is the best coimpany to look up for insurance

Hey;

Anyone know how many km to a liter a New Look bus get's? I can't find anything anywhere.

The Girlfreind

A tech told me that a Jimmy consumes more fuel then a D60LFR here in Calgary, Keep in mind on the highway those things rev pretty high and barley do 90Km/h. Have you considered a ex-greyhound bus, they will perform better then a jimmy and may get better fuel economy and reliability. :mellow:

Well I always wanted to start a Transit in Fergus and Elora.

But if you want to start your transit system i would start with a

30-35 foot LF or HF bus.

If you are buying a New Look, what would you back-up unit be?

What would your livery be?

Our back up would come when we make enough in fares and stuff or maybe get contracted by the cities they can can pay for another bus...and we only came up with colours not a logo or anything yet but would be called mountain view transit

well we wanna travel between towns but if we can we might start in one town only at first

Well, I'll give you my two cents worth here. From experience, I bought Ex-Edmonton Transit #22 from A1 Auto Salvage. It was a great bus and I got it for a good price, just needed lots of work. Just to give you an estimated run down on cost, here you go:

-Expect to spend about $3500-4000 + taxes for new tires (plus the cost of mounting and alignment/balancing)

-Paint job will cost you around $8000-$13,000

-undercarriage work (brakes, drums, bushings, bearings, king pins, etc) will probably cost you around $6000-$9000

-new batteries about $300

and that's just an estimate based upon prices I was quoted for back in 2005, I'd probably add about 3-4% minimum to these prices for inflation. From there, you will need to get a provincial safety inspection every 6 months, costing about $200-300 depending on the shop as well. And finally if you do wish to operate from town to town, especially where Greyhound or some other bus line already operates, you must have an operating authority certificate or your service can be shut down by Alberta Infrastructure. So I'd probably say you will be looking at $20,000 to $30,000 in expenses to repair the bus to provincial safety standards (Based upon an average of what I had to do on my bus, it will be different with your bus), plus figure on about another $1000 for licensing and inspections too.

Since a previous post you asked about fuel mileage, I got an average of about 2.08 km/liter of diesel. With the price of diesel at about $1.33/liter, it'll cost you roughly $0.63/km in fuel. This estimate was based upon an average speed of 45km/hr tested over a 3 day period doing about 100 km a day with a bus with the same configuration as the one you are looking at buying.

Attached is a photo of my bus after it was restored, taken April 2008

P1110914.JPG

What about bus stops, how would you do that? People need to know where they can catch the bus, then some way where they can "call" to tell when the bus comes, like a bus check.

- you will need to allign all the routes, and figure out a schedule.

- figure out a fare.

- have a convienent place to store the bus.

Chris

You maybe in luck. I found a 1967 GM Bus that is rebuilt. it`s only $1,000.00, but there is a problem with the clutch but if you can find someone to fix it in you area then that`s good.

This is a odd looking New Look but here it is.

That looks like it was rebuilt by Midwest Bus Corp as a "Phoenix". IIRC, some were rebuilt with Classic-style side windows and RTS-04-style rear ends.

• 2 months later...