South LRT Update

Mud

Not sure if anyone else has uploaded pictures/seen any of this already, but I recently went out to take pictures of the South LRT expansion:

Health Sciences to Mckernan station:

th_IMG_0682.jpg

th_IMG_0716.jpg

th_IMG_0717.jpg

A generator with train wheels!

th_IMG_0718.jpg

th_IMG_0719.jpg

th_IMG_0720.jpg

th_IMG_0721.jpg

Mckernan Station:

Note, I must have had something set wrong on my camera, because these pictures didn't come out too well.

th_IMG_0605.jpg

th_IMG_0606.jpg

th_IMG_0607.jpg

th_IMG_0608.jpg

Utility building designed to look like a house!

th_IMG_0609.jpg

th_IMG_0610.jpg

th_IMG_0613.jpg

th_IMG_0614.jpg

Belgravia Road underpass:

th_IMG_0626.jpg

th_IMG_0627.jpg

th_IMG_0628.jpg

th_IMG_0629.jpg

th_IMG_0630.jpg

th_IMG_0631.jpg

th_IMG_0632.jpg

th_IMG_0635.jpg

Belgravia road bus overpass:

th_IMG_0722.jpg

th_IMG_0725.jpg

th_IMG_0726.jpg

th_IMG_0727.jpg

th_IMG_0728.jpg

th_IMG_0729.jpg

th_IMG_0730.jpg

th_IMG_0731.jpg

South Campus station:

th_IMG_0738.jpg

th_IMG_0749.jpg

th_IMG_0735.jpg

Bus station:

th_IMG_0736.jpg

th_IMG_0737.jpg

th_IMG_0739.jpg

What could speakers be used for in a bus station?

th_IMG_0755.jpg

th_IMG_0756.jpg

th_IMG_0757.jpg

th_IMG_0758.jpg

LRT Station:

th_IMG_0740.jpg

th_IMG_0741.jpg

The station isn't even open yet, and there's already graffiti on it! :huh:

th_IMG_0742.jpg

th_IMG_0743.jpg

th_IMG_0746.jpg

th_IMG_0747.jpg

th_IMG_0748.jpg

Also, unless there is a way to double post, I can't post the rest of the images until someone replies :P

Pictures look great! Thanks for sharing them with us! My nephew was telling me that they laid the rails, but I did not have the chance to go check out the extension. I will be back at the end of the month to check it out. The underpass looks cool....

Pictures look great! Thanks for sharing them with us! My nephew was telling me that they laid the rails, but I did not have the chance to go check out the extension. I will be back at the end of the month to check it out. The underpass looks cool....

Thanks!

Check back in this thread soon, as I'll be posting new pictures when developments are made. I also plan to go down to Southgate and see if anything interesting has happened. I think the bridges over the Whitemud are probably done now, but I haven't been there in a while!

Edit:

Also, anyone know why there are speakers in the bus terminal? Are they going to announce incoming buses? (I doubt it, but that would be kinda neat.)

Utility building designed to look like a house!

Substation specifically.

Very nice! They said it will be open next year, long way unless they are doing alot of testing without a hitch.

One of the big things is they need to get enough SD160's online and operating first.

I find it amusing how the big clock signs are already up when the stations aren't even finished! :huh:

So the workers can lay down their tools at the end of the project and know whether they've completed it 'on time' :P

The Belgravia Overpass is interesting. I've heard a few people (including myself) call it a flyway.

Thanks for sharing the interesting pics ! :P

• Board Admin
Also, anyone know why there are speakers in the bus terminal? Are they going to announce incoming buses? (I doubt it, but that would be kinda neat.)
Doubt that as well, maybe announcements on major delays, which will probably be really rare.

Makes more sense in a LRT station.

Here is a picture taken just south of the Health Sciences. Can Belgravia and South Campus really be open later this year?

P5100001.JPG

I don't see why not, they do have a lot of the tracks in place, and right now they're finishing up the 114th st University avenue crossing. That leaves just one more small road they need to put a crossing in.

I don't see why not, they do have a lot of the tracks in place, and right now they're finishing up the 114th st University avenue crossing. That leaves just one more small road they need to put a crossing in.

Traction power and signal systems need to be installed. Above all, enough SD-160's need to be delivered, taking into account U-2's will be sent away for refurbishing. There's also all sorts of training that will be needed. They will need more operators who will need to be trained on the whole LRT system including the current system, as well as U-2's and SD-160's.

The tracks are in place at best. They still need to be tamped and have a rail grinder run over them. Not that that takes too long though.

taking into account U-2's will be sent away for refurbishing.

Sent away, where are they going? Will they be rebuilt of site? Maybe the rumor I heard is true that they will be converting them to AC just like the SDs

To Bombardier in New York apparently.

Sorry a bit off topic but

:mellow: ! But the trains are built by Seimens, thats strange.....

Wait a sec, look what I found on there site...

Vehicle Refurbishment and Modernisation

Optimising your fleet

When it comes to vehicle refurbishment and modernisation, we offer the latest solutions that are truly cost effective. Modernisation helps your vehicles last longer while operating more reliably and keeps your customers happy by providing a comfortable and modern environment.

It's amazing how refurbishment and modernisation gives older vehicles a new lease on life. It answers the challenge of making the most of your vehicles' lifespan, thereby optimising the value of your asset, while keeping your fleet contemporary. With Bombardier Transportation's vehicle refurbishment and modernisation solutions you can cost-effectively update your fleet to include the latest technology, such as passenger information and entertainment systems, as well as upgrading the interior and mechanical equipment.

All important upgrades include:

Mechanical upgrades

Electrical upgrades

Diesel propulsion packages

Vehicle retrofit packages

Vehicle heavy overhaul

Crash damage repair

Vehicle life cycle extension

Interior upgrades

Upgrades to heating, ventilation and air-conditioning

Passenger Information Systems

We have our own extensive facilities for vehicle refurbishment and modernisation, in Europe and in the US.

Sent away, where are they going? Will they be rebuilt of site? Maybe the rumor I heard is true that they will be converting them to AC just like the SDs

No, won't be converting to AC.

Sorry a bit off topic but

:mellow: ! But the trains are built by Seimens, thats strange.....

Bombardier bid lower than Siemens.

Any reason for the wood ties just before the road section?

From the photos I found on flickr the other day where they were installing that crossing, it looks like the section of the track that is in / under the intersection is all wood ties.

Wood ties in intersection

> http://flickr.com/photos/11774070@N04/2501266262/

> http://flickr.com/photos/11774070@N04/2501267282/

Pre-built section of track for the intersection prior to installation:

> http://flickr.com/photos/11774070@N04/2501269792/

Use of wood ties below intersections is quite common, CT does the same thing on most at grade crossings. I suspect part of it may be due to the forces that the traffic puts on the ties (by virtue of the fact that the weight of the crossing vehicle is on only one rail at a time) where wood would have an advantage in being able to absorb the force better. Plus they seem to replace the intersection segments a lot more frequently, so using concrete ties may have a higher cost potentially.