Regina Transit

M. Parsons

Some random Regina Transit shots from last week:

With a mixed up fleet like this, you got to love it!

WOW! Nice shots! Thanks for sharing them with us. It seems the Thomas SLF has been through some refurbishing as well and got new bumpers. That bus looks tougher with those bumpers compared to how it looked in my photo:

701.jpg

Most of the fishbowl photos I took in Regina will be on my GM transit bus site webpage eventually. I got pics of every single New Look left active and retired at the Regina Transit garage.

The New Looks active are:

202, 203, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 506, 508, 509, 516, 524

Retired New Looks at the garage:

503, 514, 521, 526

According to the wiki 505, 514, 518, 519, 520, 522, 525 are active but there were no signs of them anywhere and we did a full garage visit.

Just got a Regina Transit roster tonight and the missing fishbowls that were not found during my visit last week as indeed all retired! That leaves Regina with only the 12 that I saw and got pictures of.

Just got a Regina Transit roster tonight and the missing fishbowls that were not found during my visit last week as indeed all retired! That leaves Regina with only the 12 that I saw and got pictures of.

Is there any indication what may get retired when the new Nova's arrive?

Some random Regina Transit shots from last week:

With a mixed up fleet like this, you got to love it!

The Santa Monica Classic looks very out of place there. At least they kept the "big blue bus" text. (Though I wonder if the real "Big Blue Bus" knows that they're using their branding scheme...)

The D40 looks very nice in the blue and gold paint scheme!

The Santa Monica Classic looks very out of place there. At least they kept the "big blue bus" text. (Though I wonder if the real "Big Blue Bus" knows that they're using their branding scheme...)

I don't think they are worried about that. There is a local company in the LA area called "Transit Systems" that runs one or more of the Ex-Santa Monica "Big Blue Bus" 1985-86 Fishbowls in charter work. At least there used to be, but I am not sure if they are still around today or not.

The D40 looks very nice in the blue and gold paint scheme!

Yes it does! The Orion V's do as well!

Is there any indication what may get retired when the new Nova's arrive?

Nope, but I have a feeling the 1997 NFI D40LF's will be going soon. There all falling apart I was told and it didn't seem like they were going to refurbish them. It's either that or retired classics which run great and are more reliable than old junk D40LF's.

Nope, but I have a feeling the 1997 NFI D40LF's will be going soon. There all falling apart I was told and it didn't seem like they were going to refurbish them. It's either that or retired classics which run great and are more reliable than old junk D40LF's.

Wow. Are you serious that the 1997's might be next?

That's similar to what Saskatoon said about their early New Flyer's in the document for their artic tender where they went for the Nova Bus artic.

See Steve, it's not just Nova's that suck! New Flyer has their share of shitty products out there!

Wow. Are you serious that the 1997's might be next?

That's similar to what Saskatoon said about their early New Flyer's in the document for their artic tender where they went for the Nova Bus artic.

See Steve, it's not just Nova's that suck! New Flyer has their share of shitty products out there!

haha.. I know..

I heard from drivers that the 95 - 97 series D40LF's in Saskatoon are junk buses as well. Most of them are wrapped.. probably to cover up all the holes in them.

Spent a week in Regina and Saskatoon and noted the following:

Got photos of most of the New Looks, 202 and 203 ex Saskatoon (201 was wrecked and retired), 207 (D40-88 ex Moose Jaw), 211-215 ex Red Deer. Those

Red Deer buses got quite the rebuild including an interesting rework of the left side switch panel, moving the master switch forward onto a raised pad that abuts the main instrument panel.

The D35 was never intended for service as it had electrical issues relating to the S50 retrofit, the Orion 1 likewise was deemed unfit. The T6H4523N was another accident victim. I never saw 208 (the 94 Orion 5) or 210 (the ex Timmins/Santa Monica Classic) but 209 (96 Orion 5) was out every day.

David Onodera says the TDH4801 will be numbered 200.

505 and 514 were noted in service while several New Looks and Classics #542 and 562 are parked out of service.

Saskatoon: Asked about a couple of oddities - 0618 was originally delivered as 0602 but was involved in a fatal pedestrian accident and the bus renumbered at the request of the victims' family.

420 (painted as one of two BioBuses when I shot it in December) has been repainted to blue/black livery. Still some Classics in the olive green including 444, and a couple of New Looks in the green.

Rode up pn STC 790, an interesting D4505 as it has the old D4500 lower front fascia and headlights and sedan door. STC expects two new D4505s and three used buses within the next two months. 788 has an all-bus wrap for CTV Saskatoon while 789 has a belt line wrap proclaiming "SLOW DOWN - SAVE A BUCK" for SGI. They don't mean dollars.

Lastly, Greyhound could take lessons from STC on how to run a bus line - all STC coaches now have WiFi on board.

On my last morning in Regina, as I was shooting I noted a couple of other photographers aimed at the same buses I was shooting. Turns out they're from Montreal, and I hope they saw the rest of the New Looks later on that day.

On my last morning in Regina, as I was shooting I noted a couple of other photographers aimed at the same buses I was shooting. Turns out they're from Montreal, and I hope they saw the rest of the New Looks later on that day.

Their information, spottings etc are just ahead of your post.

207 (D40-88 ex Moose Jaw)

That bus is number 206 not 207.

I never saw 208 (the 94 Orion 5) or 210 (the ex Timmins/Santa Monica Classic) but 209 (96 Orion 5) was out every day.

I was told at the garage that the other Orion V #208 is dead due to engine issues and will never see revenue service. The Santa monica Classic #210 came out only on school specials the days we saw you that week.

505 and 514 were noted in service while several New Looks and Classics #542 and 562 are parked out of service.

Impossible. 514 is dead retired in back of Regina Transit garage all smashed up. As for 505, SMS and myself did not see it in service nor at the garage and it's not on the active roster list for Regina Transit that I got.

Still some Classics in the olive green including 444, and a couple of New Looks in the green.

For the New Looks, you mean the lighter green and not the olive right right? There are no New Looks left in the older Olive green.

The two Montrealer's were SMS and myself. Nice meeting you in Regina :o

Regina206_3.JPG

That bus is number 206 not 207.

I was told at the garage that the other Orion V #208 is dead due to engine issues and will never see revenue service. The Santa monica Classic #210 came out only on school specials the days we saw you that week.

Impossible. 514 is dead retired in back of Regina Transit garage all smashed up. As for 505, SMS and myself did not see it in service nor at the garage and it's not on the active roster list for Regina Transit that I got.

For the New Looks, you mean the lighter green and not the olive right right? There are no New Looks left in the older Olive green.

The two Montrealer's were SMS and myself. Nice meeting you in Regina :o

Yeah...the memorys' the first to go.... 509 and 524 were the two I saw and shot...the Flyer is 206....no olive green New Looks in the 'toontown...apologies

for the weather, but I found shooting downtown in the sunshine really tough...will post some pics in Flickr

Regina147_scrap.JPG

Regina203.JPG

A friend of mine dropped by Novabus and found Regina's 3rd gen LFS outside the plant.

I've also bumped to one of the technician today who was checking the Voith transmission diagnostic on his laptop, for PDI on the YRT 9XX series. Interesting enough, Regina is getting Voith transmission!

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the production rosters on the OMOT web site, and see TDH-3302N 058 listed as Moose Jaw #22. No where else that I look at fleet rosters do I see any mention of this bus. The 2000 edition of the Street Side guide from CTHF makes no mention either.

Does anyone have knowledge or insight on what happened to this Baby Fishbowl?

I was looking at the production rosters on the OMOT web site, and see TDH-3302N 058 listed as Moose Jaw #22. No where else that I look at fleet rosters do I see any mention of this bus. The 2000 edition of the Street Side guide from CTHF makes no mention either.

Does anyone have knowledge or insight on what happened to this Baby Fishbowl?

When MBTA9244 and myself were in Regina/ Moose Jaw back in 2002? we visited a library in Moose Jaw and took a look through their "archives" which for transit amounted to newspaper clippings from years past.

I believe there was a little info on that bus... might have even been a picture. For some reason, I seem to remember reading or being sold the bus was sold for use a chicken coop, somewhere south of Moose Jaw.

I can't remember if that was why MBTA and myself went for a walk on the highway south of town (no buses went there, we didn't have a vehicle, and too cheap for a taxi) and came across ex #19... although, I believe we had been tipped off about that bus by an operator.

http://www.barp.ca/bus/mjts/mjts19-2ol.JPG

There's an outside chance I'll be able to dig out copies of the newspaper clippings, unfortunately, there's a better chance I'll be back in Moose Jaw before I find those clippings!

• 4 weeks later...
When MBTA9244 and myself were in Regina/ Moose Jaw back in 2002? we visited a library in Moose Jaw and took a look through their "archives" which for transit amounted to newspaper clippings from years past.

I believe there was a little info on that bus... might have even been a picture. For some reason, I seem to remember reading or being sold the bus was sold for use a chicken coop, somewhere south of Moose Jaw.

I can't remember if that was why MBTA and myself went for a walk on the highway south of town (no buses went there, we didn't have a vehicle, and too cheap for a taxi) and came across ex #19... although, I believe we had been tipped off about that bus by an operator.

http://www.barp.ca/bus/mjts/mjts19-2ol.JPG

There's an outside chance I'll be able to dig out copies of the newspaper clippings, unfortunately, there's a better chance I'll be back in Moose Jaw before I find those clippings!

I have managed to confirm that Moose Jaw 22 was indeed TDH-3302-058, delivered in 1972. Today I got a copy of a book about Moose Jaw transit history that has the newspaper picture of the bus, along with some of their other old units. Their color scheme is a result of buying used Winnipeg buses in 1957 when the City of Moose Jaw took over as the provider of transit service. Glad to see that Red Deer is not the only system that never changed it's colors for a long time :lol:

The Wiki page for the TDH-3302 needs to have an update to include Moose Jaw as a Canadian operator of this model.

Very likely an ex Regina Flxible Flexette. I think Stevep gets credit for intially finding this scrap yard near Webb, Saskatchewan.

Yep, that was me. A few years back already too. There were some ex-Winnipeg Flyers there as well. Were you out there as well?

Yep, that was me. A few years back already too. There were some ex-Winnipeg Flyers there as well. Were you out there as well?

Yes! "Calgarybus", "M. Parsons" and myself all stopped in there back in October of 2006 and got images of the above mentioned bus and the two Winnipeg D700A's. I believe there is an image of one of them posted in the Winnipeg section of the board.

Edited by MBTA9244-9640b