Regina Transit

M. Parsons

• 3 months later...

Regina fleet stuff today.

Retired inside the Garage is #512 which was spotted there last spring retired as well. Was informed that #517 was retired and scrapped last year at some point.

Parked outside the Garage are two old Regina Brill Trolley Coaches!

New buses: Nova LFS - #'s 611-616. #615 has not entered service yet. All others appear to be active.

ELdorado EZ Rider II MAX - #'s 702-704 are all in service, though none were out today, but did get some photos of these inside the garage. These have rear doors and are quite similar to that of Mississauga Transit's. 29 seaters as well. 3 More of these buses are expected to arrive any day now apparently.

Thomas / Orion SLF #701 was out in service today on some sort of Community bus service, so got some nice photos of that bus.

Fishbowls can still be seen in all day service on weekdays, but not sure about weekends. Lots of Classics out and about as well in all day service as well including the 1984 GM Classics (Or are those 1985's? - I forget at the moment).

Moose Jaw today. Buses seen in service today are as follows: 1994 Orion V 05.501 #'s 19 & 23, 1988 New Flyer D40 #22, and 1976 GM Fishbowl T6H-4523N #10 - all in regular all day service.

Was informed by a source at Regina Transit that Moose Jaw Transit has received two Eldorado EZ Rider II coaches as well apparently with no rear doors so I believe they might be the smaller 29 or 20 foot version like Calgary's. Did not see either of these buses anywhere today, so I believe that they recently arrived and are not in service yet. I expect that once these two units enter service that 1976 GM #10 and 1987 Orion I #21 will be retired. Also heard that they are expecting delivery of 4 Nova LFS coaches as well. The other 3 Fishbowls which have been retired and parked for well over a year now (#'s 11, 13, & 14) are still on the lot at the Moose Jaw Transit Garage.

That's about all for now, so keep a watch in the website updates and notices thread for my updates which will soon include photos from this trip.

Ok... Current Roster for Regina Transit:

1977 GM T6H-5307N - 501, 503, 505, & 506.

1978 GM T6H-5307N - 508 & 509

1979 GM T6H-5307N - 514, 516, 518, & 519

1980 GM T6H-5307N - 520, 521, 522, 524, 525, & 526

1984 GM Classic - 534-539

1985 GM Classic - 540-545

1986 GM Classic - 546, 547

1987 MCI Classic - 548-550, & 552, 553 (When did 551 get retired, scrapped or wrecked? It was around on March 26, 2002 when Martin Parsons photographed it!)

1989 MCI Classic - 554-558

1990 MCI Classic - 559-578

1992 MCI Classic - 579-585

1997 NFI D40LF - 586-592

2001 NFI D40LF - 593, 594

2002 NFI D40LF - 595-597

1999 Thomas SLF - 701 (Purchased used in 2003)

2005 Nova LFS - 598-608

2006 Nova LFS - 609, 610

2007 Nova LFS - 611-616

2007 EZ Rider II - 702-704

2008 EZ Rider II - 705-707 (Not delivered yet, but expected any time now)

At least 6 Fishbowls have been not been marked for retirement over the next while or so. I don't have that list handy at this time, but some that have been marked for retirement were supposed to be gone last year according to the roster. some are marked for retirement as "2007/2008".

Parked outside the Garage are two old Regina Brill Trolley Coaches!

I have heard rumors in the past about Regina looking into aquiring those buses back. Good to hear (assuming they are the pair that were on a farm together).

I think one of them was #130? Apparently one of them was originally supposed to be retained in the first place, but was sold off?

• 1 month later...
I was Regina today, saw 508 on Route 5, then went down to IPSCO (scrapper) and saw 512 there on top of many cars...

Roof is bent, parts are missing, including the engine - says "No Fuel Tank". I'll post a photo is there's interst, too busy at the moment.

Re: #512... Not too surprised. 512 was parked inside the garage against the wall very dirty and dusty last October. But sure, please feel free to share the pic. Were any other buses there at all?

I was in Regina on Tuesday as part of my cross Canada trip, the oldest bus that I saw was 503, a 1977 Fishbowl, on a Route 9. Tons of the new Novas are in service, as well as a bunch of other GM and MCI Classics. Not really transit fanning this time around, so no pictures of any of them (though I do have a blurry one of 503 - forgot to increase my ISO)

• 3 months later...

Passed through Regina twice in the past week, spotted 606 heading north on the transcanada last Friday, and spotted 605 heading west on the transcanada earlier today. Didn't spot anything else in my brief trip around the city. Did see one bus in Moose Jaw, didn't catch the number though (was there during the black/brown out this afternoon, so was trying to navigate cars who don't understand the concept of a 4 way stop)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

None are being retired as of yet. In fact, Regina Transit bought 3 GMC Fishbowls from Saskatoon Transit and 3 Orions from Moose Jaw Transit. Regina Transit is short on busses and the new Novas they are waiting for is on backorder.

And on a sidenote, bus 506 has been repainted in the 1970's vintage color in preparation for the centennial in 2011.

SSPX0037.jpg

None are being retired as of yet. In fact, Regina Transit bought 3 GMC Fishbowls from Saskatoon Transit and 3 Orions from Moose Jaw Transit. Regina Transit is short on busses and the new Novas they are waiting for is on backorder.

And on a sidenote, bus 506 has been repainted in the 1970's vintage color in preparation for the centennial in 2011.

Oh My!! I suppose the big Orion V's that Moose Jaw recently retired! And I see #506 has also had TDH-5303 (Or like model) Side Marker lights installed on her along with an older GM Name Plate! VERY NICE! I think I need to get out there very soon again! If they got the 3 Orion V's from Moose Jaw Transit, I wonder if they will stay around for awhile once the new order of Nova's arrive! Two of those Orion V's are 1994's and one is a 1996, so they are not that old at all. Are they repainting the Orion V's and Saskatoon Fishbowls into Regina colors?

Is the bus in/ will be in regular service? Or will it be kept hidden from view? I assume it will be in service as, 2011 is still away off!

I'm afraid that I think Regina has almost might have already out done Edmonton for their centennial!

It will be in service for just a short time initially I believe, but I have no timetable on that, sorry. As for the used busses they bought, they are just putting a dark blue stripe on the side, so in the case of the Saskatoon busses, they are still green and it looks funny with the blue stripe. I can't wait to see how orange, cream, and dark blue look on the Moose Jaw ones.

It will be in service for just a short time initially I believe, but I have no timetable on that, sorry. As for the used busses they bought, they are just putting a dark blue stripe on the side, so in the case of the Saskatoon busses, they are still green and it looks funny with the blue stripe. I can't wait to see how orange, cream, and dark blue look on the Moose Jaw ones.

19.jpg

Thankyou so much for posting about all this. One question, Do the Orion's look like the one pictured above? I am guessing at least two would be like that one. So I am even more curious if you guys got the one Orion I bus that MJT used to have which is pictured below.

21a.jpg

This one was built in 1987 while the Orion V's were built in 1994, 1996.

Now Regina Transit bought Moose Jaw's old #10, a GMC Fishbowl. It's definitely true that Regina Transit is really in need of more bus's fast.

number six are you an operator in Regina or in utiluities? The reason I ask is that I use to drive there from Nov. 2003-may 2006.

Just found out more info on the recent purchase from Moose Jaw Transit:

They got two Orion V's, not sure which two though and hope to get that confirmed shortly.

1988 NFI D35 #13 (Previously mentioned)

1987 Orion I 01.508 #21 (Previously mentioned)

1988 NFI D40 #22

1976 GM T6H-4523N #10 (Previously mentioned)

And so far, we only know that the Fishbowls that came from Saskatoon are from the 300's.

Not much out of Regina... more Classic's in the new paint scheme and one low floor....

Moose Jaw....

A... New Flyer... D35!!!!!!!!!!

#13, replacing T6H-4523N #13 :P

T6H-4523N's #11 and 14 are also retired, leaving only #10 in active service.

All 3 retired GM's are still on the property being used for parts.

#22, D40, was in service today.

#21 the 01.508 was also in service today.

All 3 Orion V's were spares today, with 23 coming out for a peak extra.

Over all fleet as been retudce from 9 to 7, back in 2002 or so we were told (Me and Peter McLaughlin were there in 2002 before this when they still had 9 buses in service). Peak book out is 5 buses for 4 routes (I believe)... 4 spares might have been a bit much!!!!

Pics, maybe tomorrow.

Edit: It is tomorrow now.... 12:31am.... Pics are up. I kind of meant tomorrow night, but I guess tomorrow morning works as well.... www.barp.ca

I just talked to one of my buddies in Regina and they are suppose to get 8 Novas in Dec., 8 in Jan. and 16 more later in '09.

The grage staff are also inpressed with the mechanical condition that the buses are in, the ones they got from S'toon and M.Jaw.

Its funny when we got edmonton's our grage staff said the same thing.