mike from edmonton

Saskatoon Updates

2,317 posts in this topic

On 2016-11-26 at 10:47 PM, mike from edmonton said:

Gotta admit, you're on top of Saskatoon Transit.

Heard the new garage is open in January, how is the transit access there, can't be as good as the old shops

Thanks!

Theres no service up there after 6pm on weekdays, and me weekend service. No more taking the bus up to the garage!

0830 has received an engine rebuild, now she spends most of her time out on the road now, although she does occasionally live at Access for a bit.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, thager said:

Does anyone know when the new bus garage will be finished ?

Finished already, first day out of new garage is January 15th, 2017.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, GMC T6H-5307N said:

Thanks 

23 hours ago, GMC T6H-5307N said:

Hmm...   Interesting.  I suppose on January 14th, any bus going back to garage for the day, the Ops will take them to new garage and then get a ride in a shuttle or some other source back to old garage so they can pick up their vehicles?  I wonder how wrong I am on that one...

1007 re-entered service after her accident on December 27th, 2016

110 is back in service

104 remains out of service

0614 has had parts removed from her. She has been out of service since July 2016

1 person likes this

Well, if you want to get some shots of the old garage while there's still buses running out of it now is the time! January 14th is the last full day out of the garage.

If you want any souvenirs you can check the garbage cans lol :P they are tossing lots of old things! Even some bus stop signs are in there too!

All 600 hybrids have been parked due to the cold weather. None have been in service this year yet. 820 is also parked.

1008 has been removed from service. With the new garage opening up, there is a need for shuttles between the new garage and downtown. The arbocs are the candidates for this task.

I rode good old 450 running on Route 13 today, and another of the remaining blue paintjob Classics was running in the other direction.  It's common to see these buses on this route, although of course low floor buses are also used.  It's interesting that they assume none of the U of S students who use that route require low floor service.  I was in Place Riel today between buses, and ended up walking behind a young lady in a wheelchair.  Hopefully she doesn't need access to anyplace along that route.

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎02 at 1:43 PM, GMC T6H-5307N said:

1007 re-entered service after her accident on December 27th, 2016

110 is back in service

104 remains out of service

0614 has had parts removed from her. She has been out of service since July 2016

Any news on bus 1005 GMC T6H-5307N? I'm curious to know what happened to her since her accident in November. I haven't seen her around but I haven't taken the bus lately either.

40 minutes ago, tim gueguen said:

I rode good old 450 running on Route 13 today, and another of the remaining blue paintjob Classics was running in the other direction.  It's common to see these buses on this route, although of course low floor buses are also used.  It's interesting that they assume none of the U of S students who use that route require low floor service.  I was in Place Riel today between buses, and ended up walking behind a young lady in a wheelchair.  Hopefully she doesn't need access to anyplace along that route.

After checking out the pdf file for route 13 (https://transit.saskatoon.ca/sites/default/files/documents/2016/route_13.pdf), It appears that that route doesn't really operate when the U of S isn't in "full session". Perhaps that is why they use high floor buses for that route. Then they can save the low floor buses for routes that operate year-round. I'm just speculating though.

5 hours ago, Lego Bus said:

Any news on bus 1005 GMC T6H-5307N? I'm curious to know what happened to her since her accident in November. I haven't seen her around but I haven't taken the bus lately either.

Oops! That was a typo in my post! I meant 1005 has returned to service since her accident. She returned on December 27th 2016. The front end appears to be repainted. Good hearing from you again too.

For the first time in a very long time, the compound has been cleaned out completely. All buses are now at the new garage. 

For the first time since September 2010, 412 returned to roaming the streets. Well, okay, she just had a quick trip the the new garage, and she didn't really drive on over there. Here's a shot of her on the hook. Picture by Saskmatt7.

image.jpeg

For anyone riding the 13 looking for Classics, the bus leaving Lawson Heights at 7:50Am is usually low floor, but the other two buses on the route are generally Classics. While I can't guarantee it of course, it's been the tendency for the past few months. There was one week last semester where all of the buses on the 13 were low floor (I think it was a week after the union dispute ended or the week before it ended perhaps...), but most of the time there are at least two high floor buses on the 13 (The runs starting at 7:20am and 8:20am. I live in the Lawson Heights area, and go to the UofS, so it's just a trend I've noticed over the past semester.

11 hours ago, SirFrimFram said:

For anyone riding the 13 looking for Classics, the bus leaving Lawson Heights at 7:50Am is usually low floor, but the other two buses on the route are generally Classics. While I can't guarantee it of course, it's been the tendency for the past few months. There was one week last semester where all of the buses on the 13 were low floor (I think it was a week after the union dispute ended or the week before it ended perhaps...), but most of the time there are at least two high floor buses on the 13 (The runs starting at 7:20am and 8:20am. I live in the Lawson Heights area, and go to the UofS, so it's just a trend I've noticed over the past semester.

The 13 has 4 buses on it. The runs with high floors start at 7:02 at Lawson Terminal, and the second one is at 7:27 at Broadway and Cascade. The buses meet at University for :14 and :44 after, with the Broadway loop being about 55 minutes, and the Lawson loop being about 55 minutes. 

Other routes with interesting buses being run on them are the 5, 14, 22, and 23, all of which have high floors run on at least one or two keys. 55/18 for a while had antics running on one of three keys, but that hasn't happened too recently. 

583 was parked back in December for engine issues, but returned to service briefly on the 23, only to be changed off due to issues. She is parked awaiting an inspection now.

5 hours ago, GMC T6H-5307N said:

The 13 has 4 buses on it. The runs with high floors start at 7:02 at Lawson Terminal, and the second one is at 7:27 at Broadway and Cascade. The buses meet at University for :14 and :44 after, with the Broadway loop being about 55 minutes, and the Lawson loop being about 55 minutes. 

Other routes with interesting buses being run on them are the 5, 14, 22, and 23, all of which have high floors run on at least one or two keys. 55/18 for a while had antics running on one of three keys, but that hasn't happened too recently. 

583 was parked back in December for engine issues, but returned to service briefly on the 23, only to be changed off due to issues. She is parked awaiting an inspection now.

I always thought it was 3 buses. Interesting. I always thought a round trip took about 90 minutes for the 13. Anyways there's at least 2 Classics on the 13 generally.
Although the 7:02Am run is the same one as the 7:20Am run I was referring to, just going back towards Broadway/UofS.

Yes, 3, the U of S - Broadway (Avalon) - U of S portion of the route is only 30-ish minutes.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, GMC T6H-5307N said:

For the first time since September 2010, 412 returned to roaming the streets. Well, okay, she just had a quick trip the the new garage, and she didn't really drive on over there. Here's a shot of her on the hook. Picture by Saskmatt7.

image.jpeg

Are they using it for parts, or is there some other reason to keep it around?