Saskatoon Updates

• 5 weeks later...
I rode what was apparently a rare edition of 30 foot old look Flxible in Saskatoon in 1966 - likely made early sixties, Twin Coach body but labelled Flxible only, lacking Twin Coach metallic trim. Would like to know more about those buses. S'toon might have had up to seven of them, possibly bought used? Believed fleet numbers 313 to 319.

• 1 month later...

I used STS for the first time since early March today.  Buses currently load through the rear doors.  A piece of nylon strap keeps passengers from approaching the driver once they're onboard.  No fares are taken.  Signs are used to indicate which seats passengers should and should not sit on.  And a crew regularly comes onboard to quickly spray down surfaces at the downtown terminal.

Interestingly they're running a Vicinity on Route 8 this afternoon, which I took heading back to Centre Mall from downtown.  The driver actually drove past a couple waiting at one of the 8th Street bus stops.  I assume that's because the bus had reached its full load of passengers.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, j@den5766 said:

I spotted 9706 running on the 13 on Friday! Guess she’s not dead yet!!

Indeed. I was lucky enough to come across that one during my brief stopover back in July:

sts9706-1.jpgsts9706-2.jpgsts9706-3.jpg

It is also, of course, non-tracking similar to the remaining hybrids.

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

That’s an arboc spirit of mobility 

3 hours ago, G.A said:

Might actually be the Spirit of Freedom. Haven't seen many orders for the SOM since 2017.

Thanks! I did some research and it's actually a Chevrolet Arboc Spirit of Freedom manufactured in 2019.

9 hours ago, SidneyTransitfan said:

I was in Saskatoon last week and recorded six bus rides during my visit. One of them was filmed on bus 1948, and I just want to confirm a few things before I start processing the video for YouTube, Is bus 1948 a BYD K9? Furthermore, I'm assuming it was built in 2019.

It is a BYD K9S built in 2019.

• 1 year later...

I was in Saskatoon on three occasions over the last month. There are some things to clear up...

Transit55 seems to have some issues. Many buses aren't tracking (such as 1102 and 0820 - the latter isn't even listed as active despite me spotting it).

On my most recent visit on Tuesday morning, nothing was tracking at all. I know this happens on occasion as I've seen it with Calgary and Edmonton, but most inconvenient while I was trying to catch vehicles I'd missed out on my earlier visits.

None of the D60LFs appeared to be out. Either they aren't tracking or just aren't being used. Even with the Nova artics there's only ever one or two out at once.

Is 107 still in storage in the facility? I did spot 9510 missing front panels alongside 9707 and 412 out by the fence when on the VIA leaving for Edmonton on August 5th.

20 minutes ago, SidneyTransitfan said:

On my most recent visit on Tuesday morning, nothing was tracking at all. I know this happens on occasion as I've seen it with Calgary and Edmonton, but most inconvenient while I was trying to catch vehicles I'd missed out on my earlier visits.

None of the D60LFs appeared to be out. Either they aren't tracking or just aren't being used. Even with the Nova artics there's only ever one or two out at once.

I was there on Tuesday as well and in addition to nothing was tracking select buses were as late as 20 minutes behind despite google and transit app showing them as being on time which made the situation even more difficult 

A common trait I see with the artics in Saskatoon is there’s only ever 2-3 being used and they don’t rotate everyday example 1005 and 1006 would be out and those would be the only artics out for weeks before they will switch and bring out the other artics, not sure if this is due to it being the summer or if this would change when schools are back in session for September. 

With Saskatoon Transit, tracking issues regarding specific buses are more often than not because of malfunctioning or removed equipment inside of the specific bus. Unfortunately that means there isn't much to do about it on the Transit55 end... the software works well (outside of the odd day where there is a system-wide outage), but is limited by the missing data output on the Saskatoon Transit side of things.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Don’t know how long ago this happened, since I only checked yesterday, but Saskatoon recently awarded a contract for electric buses to Nova. I can’t say I’m surprised by that result, but what does surprise me is that in addition to NFI, a new player, Ebusco Canada (which I found is a subsidiary of a Dutch company) bid on the contract while BYD and Proterra did not.

Another tender, this one for diesels, closed four months ago, but hasn’t been awarded. I think it would be a reasonable to guess that that one, too, will go to Nova.

• 6 months later...

Spent some time in Saskatoon during uni on a co-op term.  Used transit the entire time.  It was just after the routes had been re-done in '06 or so.

Seeing as this forum is a bit dead now, I'm assuming there isn't much going on.  But if anyone is reading this, how's ridership there going?  I used to take the 11 towards the Airport regularly, and the 12 and 14 also stopped near my place not far from 25th Street.  Looks like that's changed now.