Saskatoon Updates

15 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

@GMC T6H-5307N It's been 2 months since the last update how are the Classics & 95-97 D40LFs doing now?

Active classics: 102, 105, 107, 111, 115 and 116

Active LF’s: 9502, 9503, 9505, 9701, 9703, and 9706

Recently parked buses: 

104 - Parked some time in August?

9508 - Likely retired after being parked since June 18th

Provided nothing comes up with the buses, 107, 111, and 116 will probably be the last Classics on the road, as the safety on these buses expire in January 2019

And finally there is an order for 2019 Nova Bus LFS, but the exact number is unknown at this time. This is the last of the current contract we signed with Nova.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

SASKATOON TRANSIT HISTORY - Does anyone recollect one or more Flxible 30 foot transit buses on the Saskatoon fleet circa 1966 or earlier? 

• I am referring specifically to a City Of Saskatoon Transit bus I rode in the summer of 1966, with Flxible markings (name inside an oval, WITHOUT Twin Coach). I don't think it had the Twin Coach "crew cuts", I'd have noticed that, rather it looked very much like the standee-window short Old Look GM's or Macks. And the upholstery was white and black two-tone, as I recall. Or would it have been a late short version of Twin design without the Twin nameplate and "crew cuts". I could find no reference to these buses in any City Of Saskatoon Transit fleet list, but there is a gap of 7 numbers in the early sixties that might have been these? I've found pictures of a 1954 Southern brochure that resembles this bus, also seen photos of short Twins with standee windows that seem reminiscent.. There seems to be an almost total absence of info on buses produced by Southern, or of the small transit buses made by Flxible at the Southern plant. Anyone have any info?  I remember in 1966, riding on at least one thirty-foot Flxible transit bus in Saskatoon, SK. This bus would have been an Old Look made in the fifties or sixties, not sure if it was a shortened Twin Coach or an original Flxible design. The only name displayed was Flxible, no Twin Coach, no Canadair. Does anyone know about this particular model as I have been unable to find any photos or records of such a bus anywhere?  
    There is an unaccounted gap of seven numbers, 313 to 319 around 1964-65 in the midst of the GM New Look list, thus I suspect that these numbers may have been old-look Flxibles built in the Alabama ex-Southern plant? The bus I was in, in 1966, looked to be in fairly new condition, despite its old-look styling. I suspect these buses may have been bought to replace some of the similarly sized CCF C-36A small gasoline Brills 101-125 from 1946-1953, but for some reason not kept long in the Saskatoon system. The below 1954 pictures of Southern buses do look like a pretty close match to the Saskatoon Flxible, so it's quite possible that Flxible opted to continue to build these under the Flxible name circa 1964-65. The other alternative is that Flxible may have chosen to continue building an "old look" short Twin Coach but without the "ears/crew-cut" and Twin Coach name, much like GM continued to build its small Old Look until 1968; the photos of later small Twins with standee windows do seem to bear a resemblance too.
    Manage
    No automatic alt text available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 4:58 PM, Jaymaud0804 said:

I'm visiting S'toon for Christmas. Will the classics be active then? Also, what routes are they normally on?

The classics have active registrations until January 4th to 7th, 2019 but will very likely be off the road by then. The classics are only used as extra buses now, and only go out for a short few hours a day. They will be parked during the Christmas break here in Saskatoon, so they won’t be able to be seen during that time. If you want to see them on the road, I would suggest camping out at the garage in the early morning and early afternoon during your visit to be able to catch the Classics heading out from the garage. Other than that it would be pretty hard to be able to track them on the road.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tim gueguen said:

A bus was involved in an accident Friday night at the intersection of 108th Street and Egbert Avenue.  There are no pictures of the immediate aftermath of the accident, so we don't know yet which bus it was.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-news/pickup-truck-passengers-injured-in-collision-with-saskatoon-city-bus

Is it possible to see if a bus went out of service early on Transit55?

4 hours ago, tim gueguen said:

A bus was involved in an accident Friday night at the intersection of 108th Street and Egbert Avenue.  There are no pictures of the immediate aftermath of the accident, so we don't know yet which bus it was.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-news/pickup-truck-passengers-injured-in-collision-with-saskatoon-city-bus

Bus was 1705. There were injuries but uncertain if they were passengers on the bus or in the truck that collided with the bus. 1705 was on the 26 when the collision happened. No word on the damage to the bus 

Transit has been sending multiple buses off to scrap in the past months. Some of the buses sent off include 108, 110, 112, 434, and 451.

Some recent buses that have been parked are 102, 9503, and 9505.

13 hours ago, GMC T6H-5307N said:

Bus was 1705. There were injuries but uncertain if they were passengers on the bus or in the truck that collided with the bus. 1705 was on the 26 when the collision happened. No word on the damage to the bus 

Transit has been sending multiple buses off to scrap in the past months. Some of the buses sent off include 108, 110, 112, 434, and 451.

Some recent buses that have been parked are 102, 9503, and 9505.

So 5 Classics and 1 '95 D40LF left

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

Why are there always so many ghost buses? Any idea what buses they might be?

Transit recently updated the ITS system on most of the buses, the new system will see removal of the radio system and just be a better system overall. The 95’s and 97’s won’t receive the new system however. 0600’s and 0700’s will receive the new system, but will have to be have new driver screens installed. That’s why there’s so many ghost buses showing up on Transit55

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

I tried to ride some buses today, but it seemed they were always going in the opposite direction I was.

Spotted 111, 9502, 3 '02s, 2 hybrids (one green, one blue), and a D40LFR that was displaying a different route on each sign.

The green DE40LFR is 616, the only bus left in the old DART scheme.

I have been informed that 105, 107, 111, 115, and possibly 116 have had their safeties renewed to March 2019, so it appears that they will hold onto the Classics for a while longer! 107 still hasn’t been repaired from last weeks accident however, so it is unknown what will happen to it still 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

Hey @GMC T6H-5307N, It's been a while since your last update

How many Classics and D40LFs are left now?

Remaining classics are 105, 107, and 115. 107 received a new front end off of 109 and re entered service a few weeks ago. As for D40LF’s, we are down to 9701, 9703, and 9706. 9502 was rear ended by a stolen truck and has been parked due to the damage.

The 2019 Nova Buses arrived on February 1st. There are 10 buses total I believe. Four of them entered service on February 7th. As they don’t have fare boxes or radios yet they are only for extras for the time being. 

Transit has sent 102, 103, 109, and 454 off to scrap in the past month or so also.

On 2/7/2019 at 1:07 PM, tim gueguen said:

Saw 616 broken down at Confederation Mall bus terminal this morning.  Brad's Towing was on scene to haul it away.  I assume the cold weather caused it problems.

Unfortunately those 2006 Hybrids batteries are having lots of trouble in the cold recently. 616 was placed on extras exclusively last winter due to it’s unreliability in the cold.

• Like 1