Saskatoon Updates

So, I guess I was correct in suggesting the newspapers may or may not have the right information...

Here's the reality too with the buses Calgary is retiring.

The worst of the Classic's are long gone. There will be buses in better shape than others, but, it I suspect they are coming to the point I would imagine Classic's that are being pulled from the road are still roadworthy. They're being pulled because they aren't needed. I would imagine any D40LF's that get pulled are because they are toast. Hence, in Saskatoon's situation, you're going to take best bus you can get.

Edmonton was in the same position when Saskatoon got a few New Look's from here. The worst and oldest had been retired, and I'm sure Saskatoon got the best ones available.

And what qualifications do you have to be making a statement like that?

Excellent, you chose to reply to only the second question and not the first.

Still not reply too I'm afraid.

They could have a one year trail to see if First Transit could more people to work for them. The city could say you must keep the same employees plus hirer new mechanics with the same or higher pay plus keep the union.

You make it sound so simple. It is anything but.

First, what you're proposing is a sole source contract. Most, if not all cities, have bylaws (provinces and countries too) that prevent sole sourcing for contracts over a certain dollar value, unless there are justifiable reasons. This, for an example, could be if there was no other alternative that could provide the same product/ service.

That means your proposed trial would have to go to tender. That's a good thing mind you, as it allows competition which can lower the end price. The companies bidding on the maintenance contract would then have to develop a proposal based upon the tender. The tender most likely will include certain metrics, to measure the performance of the contractor, and set out standards to be met during the duration of the contract. The price that the contractors bid are going to include a few things, primarily labour cost (including benefits), cost of doing business (office costs, recruitment etc), and the biggie. A tidy profit for themselves.

Regardless of a Union or not, the reality is average cost of a mechanic is probably going to be in a narrow margin. If a company bidding on a project figures they can bring in mechanics at $20/ hr, great. But, if they win the tender and can't full fill the obligations of the tender, Saskatoon Transit first off will be hurting when buses aren't available, secondly, they'll end up having to take over maintenance anyway when the contractor is given the boot for not meeting the requirements. That means, the contractor would have to be planning to pay market rates when they write their tender response. Probably the same Saskatoon Transit pays/ needs to pay to attract more mechanics. Then, on top of that, the contractor needs to make a profit.

I could only foresee a contractor charging more for the same service, or, charging less, but providing a lower quality service.

For a brand new system, it's possible contracting out drivers and maintenance is feasible. I just can't imagine for Saskatoon though... First, the contractor wouldn't own the buses. That presents a huge problem in the first place. If the contractor orders in the replacement parts, then they're going to charge Saskatoon for those parts. Probably at a profit too. If the parts are ordered by the City, or by the contractor for the City who is then charged by the vendor, there's still an extra level that isn't needed if the City just orders the parts themselves.

Where is maintenance carried out? How does the City charge the vendor for using the existing City facilities and equipment?

Alberta's 3 newest system are using a few different models.

BOLT is operated under contract by Red Deer Transit. I don't know the exact specifics, but, Red Deer Transit is providing the buses, drivers, maintenance. In this cases a existing public agency is providing the service. This applies to a number of ETS operations as well.

Fort Saskatchewan Transit is 2 contractors. A taxi company who own the cutaways used locally and so would be providing all related maintenance and drives, and ETS providing the commuter service. In this case a contractor is providing everything for the local service, while a public agency is providing another portion of the service.

Leduc Transit owns the buses, added onto an existing garage to do the maintenance themselves, but are contracting out the drivers. The agency just contracts out for drivers. Other systems like this include St. Albert, Strathcona, Grande Prairie.

Fort McMurray I believe has maintenance and drivers contracted out the private sector although the city owns the buses.

I am not aware of a transit agency in Alberta who only contracts out maintenance. It's usually they are one of the scenarios above, plus of course, entire municipality ownership of the transit system.

Hopefully this post will enlighten you Cheese. It's easy to just toss out random thoughts but it does degrade the quality of the board when those thoughts don't appear thought out.

By all means, ask questions. Learn. If you'd asked something along the lines of "Could they contract out maintenance?" I'd have a different tone in my response.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to identify 9516 as her former West Vancouver number? I know 965 went missing - last seen driving SB on Hwy 99 in Vancouver.

I'm going to try and see if I can get the vin one day. Until then, the former number is unknown sorry.

I'll try to go to the garage tonight to see if I can spot those buses before j@den. Nothing like a little competition, eh?

Was unable to go by garage. I'll try to go tomorrow hopefully... Ahh, the wonders of not having your own car. :angry: Edited by GMC T6H-5307N

I already knew this information just over a week ago, but I was not able to release it, but now since it has been figured out, the Following Classics have been purchased by Saskatoon Transit: 5004, 5035, 5037, 5042, 5065, 5075, 5080, 5082, 5095, 5099, 5104, and 5105.

Well, looks like a mix of 1991 and 1992 units! I'll wait until the new fleet numbers are known before I create a page on the wiki though.

10:30pm first Calgary arrived

So we might be able to see them tomorrow? Are they in the storage yard?

So far same style as our 450

Aside from much larger front destination sign...

130409-6567ct5016.jpg

130412-4946saskatoon422.jpg

I can only see 2 Calgary Classics in the storage yard

Yeah it will take some time for all of them to arrive...

Oh and a couple of other CT features on our original MCI's, we have two signals over each wheel well instead of the usual one signal over each.

And a Unique CT Feature on our original 107 MCI's, is the front roof hatch being on the right side of the bus right over the passenger door area and operators work station. I have not seen this on any other Classic for any other system that I am aware of.

I meant same back window. Slow down guys they just came off the truck. You dont just microwave them and poof new paint and numbers.

Ah, ok I understand.

Guess who got to the garage first to see the new used buses! Nothing like a little competition eh? Lol

Grr! I am so jealous!

Well, this will interest you j@den. 830 entered service for the first time today! Here's some pictures-

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The front destination sign was messed up, and it looks like the front doors don't work. The driver was letting people on at the back only. Jealous there J@den?