Matt Demers

Night time pictures

On 6/13/2020 at 7:03 PM, PCC Guy said:

Thanks!

:ph34r:

Wow, that is crazy! For sure things have calmed down a lot since then. Were it not for the weighing knowledge at the back of my mind, and the odd person wearing a mask, I don't think I'd even know there was a shutdown going on when I was down on the harbourfrount. Now's probably the best time to be playing around with your camera equipment in the last few months, that's for sure.

I am, yeah.

I definitely don't have any intentions of keeping my RAW files for more than a week or two after a trip, unless it's for something massively valuable that I'd like to hold on to long term, should ever I want to refine my technique. It is a must, though, for me to give them a do-over at least once, particularly to correct over-exposure (if half of the photos I linked above were JPEGs in their original form, they would've been unusable garbage - see the comparison I'm attaching below) and to remove lens distortion, which is particularly present when zoomed all the way out or in on the 18-55 mm lens. It's not noticeable on a landscape photo, but on a bus photo, it could lead to some very unwanted results, which can be edited away in Canon's DPP software.

Thanks!

I’d hold on to the camera original files.  Storage is cheap these days (you’d wince at what we used to pay for hard drives, CD-R discs and things like Zip discs and the other similar cartridges 25 years ago) and it’s a hedge against changing your mind later about whether a photograph is important or not.  It’s happened more than once that an unremarkable streetcar picture or something like that has become a lot more significant years later because a building in the background has been demolished.  Or, in my case, I can think of boring run of the mill CLRV shots I took that were unremarkable on King St. near the Atlantic Ave. underpass that are now notable because of how open that area was 20ish years ago before the whole area up above where the train yards were has been completely filled in with condos now, for example.

Have you thought about picking up an inexpensive used film SLR kit and giving film a try?  It’s a bit of a different methodology from digital photography but it’s not a huge lateral move in terms of taking the actual pictures themselves, but yet a very different medium from an artistic point of view.  If might be worth trying out to see if you enjoy it if it’s something you haven’t done already.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I’d hold on to the camera original files.  Storage is cheap these days (you’d wince at what we used to pay for hard drives, CD-R discs and things like Zip discs and the other similar cartridges 25 years ago) and it’s a hedge against changing your mind later about whether a photograph is important or not.  It’s happened more than once that an unremarkable streetcar picture or something like that has become a lot more significant years later because a building in the background has been demolished.  Or, in my case, I can think of boring run of the mill CLRV shots I took that were unremarkable on King St. near the Atlantic Ave. underpass that are now notable because of how open that area was 20ish years ago before the whole area up above where the train yards were has been completely filled in with condos now, for example.

Maybe you're right. Perhaps a more workable solution would be to create a whole bunch of Google accounts, since they offer 15 GB of drive storage, and store my RAW files on there if need be. I already have a subscription to G Suite but in case 200 GB is ever not enough...

I'm a little concerned about physical hard drives at this stage in the game because my income, as someone who works part time for minimum wage, is still fairly limited, and there are other goodies I've got my sights set on in the (hopefully) not too distant future, such as plane tickets, that I consider to be bigger fish to fry. I'd definitely like to beef up my storage space one day but I also have to be realistic about what is the most important to me.

20 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Have you thought about picking up an inexpensive used film SLR kit and giving film a try?  It’s a bit of a different methodology from digital photography but it’s not a huge lateral move in terms of taking the actual pictures themselves, but yet a very different medium from an artistic point of view.  If might be worth trying out to see if you enjoy it if it’s something you haven’t done already.

I haven't, really, not only for the financial concerns outlined above, but also because the convenience of digital, IMO, seems to be much higher than film. I think the benefits of being able to see immediately how your photo turned out, and potentially retake it, if necessary, outweigh the benefits of film, undoubtedly cool as it is. Maybe I'll change my tune one day when I've got more disposable income, but right now I'm fairly satisfied with the tools available at my disposal.

8 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Maybe you're right. Perhaps a more workable solution would be to create a whole bunch of Google accounts, since they offer 15 GB of drive storage, and store my RAW files on there if need be. I already have a subscription to G Suite but in case 200 GB is ever not enough...

I'm a little concerned about physical hard drives at this stage in the game because my income, as someone who works part time for minimum wage, is still fairly limited, and there are other goodies I've got my sights set on in the (hopefully) not too distant future, such as plane tickets, that I consider to be bigger fish to fry. I'd definitely like to beef up my storage space one day but I also have to be realistic about what is the most important to me.

Of course, we all have budgets and have to pick our spots for sure.  Fortunately, adding more storage can be a bit of a pay as you go thing since you can buy more incrementally as you need it and avoid a huge upfront purchase cost of buying it all at once only to have most of it remain empty so you might be able to split this one down the middle for a while, how long depends on how fast you turn out new material, and ride out the financial situation and other budget priorities - you're already partway there with the G suite subscription since things only get sticky once you go over the 200 GB included with that.

8 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

I haven't, really, not only for the financial concerns outlined above, but also because the convenience of digital, IMO, seems to be much higher than film. I think the benefits of being able to see immediately how your photo turned out, and potentially retake it, if necessary, outweigh the benefits of film, undoubtedly cool as it is. Maybe I'll change my tune one day when I've got more disposable income, but right now I'm fairly satisfied with the tools available at my disposal.

I just thought I'd toss that out there since film definitely has it's own aesthetic (not sure why the machine I'm writing this on is insisting on autocorrecting to the British spelling, but fine).  Luckily, the film photography situation appears to have stabilized over the last few years and even Kodak's brought back Ektachrome and I've finally got a test roll waiting to get loaded into a medium format camera when I've got some free time on a nice day now that the $1,000 ticket situation has become a lot more sane, but it's good news because it means that it'll be possible to try out film photography if you want to once your budget situation isn't as tight as it is now.  I'm a bit older and happened to hit the major transition between the old and new.  I got to enjoy the Gloucesters and PCCs and trolleybuses before the mass retirements that finished them off took place as all the new stuff came in, and experienced and worked with all the analog, physical medium ways of doing things with records, CDs, and audio and video tape, the works, before all that got displaced by digital computerized methods, and for photography that meant film.  Of the bunch, at least film photography looks like it's going to be viable for the long term so you'll be able to experience that if you want to once you have more disposable income.  But the rest, I guess other than buying vinyl records and playing them, is pretty well all gone now.  For example, I wish I could somehow conjure up an eight car train of Gloucesters for a day on the Yonge-University-Spadina line so you could get to experience that too, but it just isn't possible; at least if you do pick up a film camera sometime down the road and need some pointers getting started, that's something I can actually help you out with.

• Thanks 1