Night time pictures

Matt Demers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've taken night shots. Here are some photos I took tonight. I saw this bus broken down and thought I'd try out some night photos without a tripod. I did not adjust anything from the regular settings except for set the self-timer to 2 seconds. According to my camera all three were taken at ISO 200. I think the shot from across the street is a bit blurry possibly because I used zoom.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wil...7881/7697-3.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wil...7881/7697-4.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wil...-7881/7697r.jpg

The problem with shooting TTC buses at night is the fact that they're half black, and don't reflect light as easily as a white bus at night. That can also push your camera into metering for a longer exposure.
I tried out some night photography again last night when I found another dead Orion VII. The only adjustments I made were a 2-second timer and exposure compensation. The Front Doorside #1 photo were taken at +2 while the rest were at +1. My camera took all the shots at with a 1 second shutter speed and with the aperture set to F3.2, except for the Front Doorside #1 which was taken at F2.8. I was keeping D.DeLarge's post in mind about lighting and luckily right across the street was a parking lot with white lights instead of the orange street lighting which I think helped out a lot. I think the operator side shots came out nicely and not as much graininess. In the Front Doorside #2 photo the front of the bus is reflecting the headlights of a passing car. Here are the photos:

TTC 7451 - Front Operator side

TTC 7451 - Front Doorside #1

TTC 7451 - Front Doorside #2

TTC 7451 - Rear Doorside

TTC 7451 - Rear Operator side

I tried out some night photography again last night when I found another dead Orion VII. The only adjustments I made were a 2-second timer and exposure compensation. The Front Doorside #1 photo were taken at +2 while the rest were at +1. My camera took all the shots at with a 1 second shutter speed and with the aperture set to F3.2, except for the Front Doorside #1 which was taken at F2.8. I was keeping D.DeLarge's post in mind about lighting and luckily right across the street was a parking lot with white lights instead of the orange street lighting which I think helped out a lot. I think the operator side shots came out nicely and not as much graininess. In the Front Doorside #2 photo the front of the bus is reflecting the headlights of a passing car. Here are the photos:

TTC 7451 - Front Operator side

TTC 7451 - Front Doorside #1

TTC 7451 - Front Doorside #2

TTC 7451 - Rear Doorside

TTC 7451 - Rear Operator side

#1 is good in terms of exposure because of the light nearby, but you would do better with a longer exposure on the others from the boarding side, as there's not enough light on that side to light the side of the bus properly.

Of course, the rub is you'd likely need a tripod or other inanimate object to place your camera on for the longer exposures. 1 second ones you'd ideally want a tripod as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Calgary Transit #1059 was on the 3 Thursday night, a nice treat indeed, this is normally a low floor run. 1980 GM T6H-5307N

Taken on a tripod at ISO250, 1.3 Second Exposure at F/8. Some adjusting done in Photoshop for colors and contrast.

1059-5.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...