Night time pictures

Matt Demers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Greatcoinz! Love yours as well. Is it HDR?

I don't think so. I just use Aperture setting on my Nikon D5100 with a 3.5 Seconds for Exposure Composition. The camera was focusing more between the middle to the right side. You're Nikon D3100 should have the exact settings on it, to make the same kind of shot.

Last night was the annual Cloverdale Christmas Parade, out of all the parades this is the only one I attend every year. This was also the perfect chance to test out by new D600, and I was VERY impressed! I also got to use a Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 (borrowed from a friend who shoots a lot of weddings), which is a total tank, but a beautiful piece of glass

11302189995_c0e123bf91_o.jpg

CWC_9438 by BusShots, on Flickr

11302186335_7f48a28781_o.jpg

CWC_9499 by BusShots, on Flickr

11302183945_9f67221b23_o.jpg

CWC_9551 by BusShots, on Flickr

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Taken back in November 2011, an unknown SMART 2003 29-foot Gillig Low Floor operates route #160 on Biddle Avenue through downtown Wyandotte, MI. Sorry for the quality here...

Do note that #160 service stops after 7 PM on weekdays, so the only time it operates at night is around the winter solstice, due to the daylight hours being shorter by then.

SMART160_night.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone shot a jet black bus in the dark before? I can't for the life of me figure out what settings to shoot at. I ask because I tried shooting a jet black prevost H3-45 in the yard between two other buses in the dark. I switched to my 35 1.8 on my D3100 with my settings at 1/60 at 1.8 with 800 ISO and flash used.My lens couldn't focus and pick up the bus even when I switched to manual focus, it wouldn't focus properly. I don't shoot in the dark often so if you guys can point me in the right direction, it'd help in the future!

14696887478_a49aee8a0a_z.jpgTraxx Coach Lines 2014 Prevost H3-45 #897 by Translink fan, on Flickr

Has anyone shot a jet black bus in the dark before? I can't for the life of me figure out what settings to shoot at. I ask because I tried shooting a jet black prevost H3-45 in the yard between two other buses in the dark. I switched to my 35 1.8 on my D3100 with my settings at 1/60 at 1.8 with 800 ISO and flash used.My lens couldn't focus and pick up the bus even when I switched to manual focus, it wouldn't focus properly. I don't shoot in the dark often so if you guys can point me in the right direction, it'd help in the future!

Traxx Coach Lines 2014 Prevost H3-45 #897 by Translink fan, on Flickr

The camera won't focus properly as the autofocus needs a "preflash" of light to lock on to a subject or object. When you semi hold the shutter switch to focus, the white light just offset to the lens should light up. This is called the AF assist. If it doesn't turn on, then you will need to set it in the menu. If your AF assist light comes on and your camera is still unable to focus, then maybe it something else.

This is a very preliminary suggestion btw. I'm just throwing it out there because you're shooting in complete manual mode. Also, how is the camera "unable" to focus if you have the focus switch set to "M" and you're focusing it manually?

I usually disable mine because it gets annoying to the people I shoot if I'm doing portraiture and its a big no no for indoor sports. The 51 pt AF system in my D7100 is good enough to focus in literally pitch black conditions anyway.

The camera won't focus properly as the autofocus needs a "preflash" of light to lock on to a subject or object. When you semi hold the shutter switch to focus, the white light just offset to the lens should light up. This is called the AF assist. If it doesn't turn on, then you will need to set it in the menu. If your AF assist light comes on and your camera is still unable to focus, then maybe it something else.

This is a very preliminary suggestion btw. I'm just throwing it out there because you're shooting in complete manual mode. Also, how is the camera "unable" to focus if you have the focus switch set to "M" and you're focusing it manually?

When I switched to manual focus, looking through the view finder, I adjusted the focus ring and when it would look like I focused the bus, I would take the picture, but then it would come out way out of focus even though from my perspective in the view finder, it looked focused. As with the AF assist, I can't remember if I had it on at the time or not, but I will play around with it if something like this happens again. Thanks!