Night time pictures

Matt Demers

Here's two of my best ones so far.

First one is of 1995 Novabus Classic 15-086 at Villa Maria Metro during fall season rush hour. Used a structure and 10 second timer.

Second one is another 1995 Classic at Rosemont Metro at night also in the fall. Used a structure and 10 second timer. If I pressed the button myself even on the structure, it would have screwed it up.

15086atnight.jpg

15072atnight.jpg

• Board Admin

Hey, no flashing the T.I.T.S. in the middle of the night! :angry:

Disadvantages of flash (unless absolutely necessary):

1. Temporarily blind drivers, not just the bus drivers either

2. Draw attention to yourself

3. Reflective stripes are brightest part of the picture

I would carry a tripod if I could. I draw enough attention taking photos without carrying a tripod everywhere :rolleyes:

I used to carry my tripod around a lot more than I do now, for several reasons. I agree that a tripod is a VERY obvious piece of equipment that is likely to draw attention to you from the drivers, supervisor or even pigs, err transit security. Not something to be worried about if you're in a relatively quiet area and can book it quickly if you see trouble coming your way - I found Edmonton's Westmount loop to be nice for that, since there's that big park on one side and the mall on the other. Probably not so much now since there's all that construction going on...

Also, now I have an SLR camera with a fast lens that can substitute for a tripod, sometimes. Not the optimal thing to be using on all occasions, but it's gotten me some pretty nice night shots, like this one.

Also, now I have an SLR camera with a fast lens that can substitute for a tripod, sometimes. Not the optimal thing to be using on all occasions, but it's gotten me some pretty nice night shots, like this one.

Yep. I rarely carry a tripod. If I do it's for something other than bus photography. With this particular photo... I don't think I was even using my fast lens... I think it was my usual 28-300mm at F3.5

83250009.JPG

Showing off :lol::P:o

In true Orion VIII style, none were taken with a tripod, but the steady hands and hat beak method. The last 3 were not taken at night, but rather in the dark of York Mills Station, York Mills Station and St Clair Station.

Click thumnail to enjoy :blink:

dsc08451.jpg_thumb.jpg

dsc08520.jpg_thumb.jpg

ttc1060_20061120_dsc08203.jpg_thumb.jpg

ttc7205_20061120_dsc08201.jpg_thumb.jpg

ttc7518_20061120_dsc08333.jpg_thumb.jpg

Good work, it looks like you're using a camera phone though. It looks like you've got the technique down, but if you want better quality, ask for a real camera for Christmas :blink::rolleyes:

i was using a real camera but i forgot to change the exposer for the lense and thanks.

Showing off :blink::rolleyes::D

In true Orion VIII style, none were taken with a tripod, but the steady hands and hat beak method. The last 3 were not taken at night, but rather in the dark of York Mills Station, York Mills Station and St Clair Station.

Click thumnail to enjoy ;)

dsc08451.jpg_thumb.jpg

This has to be one of the best moving night shot scenes I've seen before!

You were moving your hands in the exact same speed of that bus! Wow!

Great photo!

This has to be one of the best moving night shot scenes I've seen before!

You were moving your hands in the exact same speed of that bus! Wow!

Great photo!

Thanks!

I tend to follow the subject in any moving picture, I guess just because I am used to the tiny bit of lag on my shutter. It was one of four pictures, one of which I deleted because it was simply horrendus :blink:, that I frantically snapped as I saw the bus going north. The shutter speed was 1/8 of a second if anyone is interested.

I was thinking of posting it in the panning thread as well, but was being rushed off the computer. :rolleyes: