Night time pictures

Matt Demers

Here's my first ever night picture. I took this today about 2-2 1/2 hours ago. It kinda sucks since I've never taken night shots before. What should I do in the future to impove?

As they say, practise makes perfect. Albeit it is cliché.

I'm just wondering, can you adjust apeture and the exposure time? If you can, adjust the apeture a lower value. It represents more light will go through the lens and be captured. As a result, night shots will be somewhat easier.

Here is one for you bus lovers...

Cool! I like the streaks of light in the foreground. Was this taken at Dufferin and Dupont?

As they say, practise makes perfect. Albeit it is cliché.

I'm just wondering, can you adjust apeture and the exposure time? If you can, adjust the apeture a lower value. It represents more light will go through the lens and be captured. As a result, night shots will be somewhat easier.

Cool! I like the streaks of light in the foreground. Was this taken at Dufferin and Dupont?

I can adjust the exposure time and exposure compensation. The exposure compensation can go from -2.0 to +2.0 and the exposure time can go up to 4 seconds.

A lot of rain must enter the muffler when it's wet out!

Likely the water would just evaporate right on the spot. Remember how hot those tailpipes get.

All of Translink's D40LFs delivered from 1995-1998 have a tailpipe that points straight upwards. Calgary Transit's D40LFs are exactly the same, in fact I think even their newest D40LFs have the tailpipe opening directly to the heavens!

And come to think of it... MT's D60LFs (both 1997 and 2001) are like that too.

As long as they're not sitting for long periods of time in rainy weather they should be fine. Any rain entering when the bus is running would be evaporated. Even if the bus is off, most likely there's a small drain hole somewhere in the exaust in case of water accumulating.

My latest attempt: The photo usually turns out alright but my camera never seems to get the reflective striping right no matter how I hold it or what I set it to.

Have you tried setting the flash off?

You might need to bring out a tripod if you set the flash off.

Long exposures make great night shots. It usually works better when there is lighting directly on the bus, such as in your second shot. Most of the time it's not like that unless you are in a terminal though.

Yeah, until recently about 3/4 of the lights at Angrignon were burnt out, and were only recently replaced; so it would have really made a huge difference in the shadows and lighting effects with all those missing lights and dark shadows.

Here is a selection of some of mine, all taken with a Canon 300D SLR. They have all been taken through photoshop, made significantly brighter, but still been able to keep the picture quality, not much grain.

Here are a couple from tonight (Hand Held), 31 year old bus (with excellent power for a GM) running late into the night, fantastic! :P

ets_332-2.jpg

ets_332int.jpg

A Dennis Trident from Hong Kong (Hand Held)

kmb_ats134rear.jpg

A couple of buses from Canadian Premier Charters (More Better Buses, Calgary) All 3 taken with tripods and with long exposures that would be impossible hand held.

cpc_332-d23-04-20.jpg

cpc_331-4.jpg

cpc_331rear2.jpg