SD160 Deliveries and Spottings

M. Parsons

My mention of Gorman, W/ SE and N LRT was just to put everything into perspective. Gorman had funding, SE/ W have funding, Heritgae Valley has nothing.

There was a time when it seemed like Heritage Valley was going to be worked on in short order, but then they started with this Expo 2017 which included W/SE LRT and they've kept on pushing that since.

Moral of the story: make sure your information is still valid before posting as fact.

IIRC its going to end at Century Park TC. Dont know about the frequencies though...

Sorry, I had to correct you.. This is not right.

Service will run from NAIT - Health Sciences. The current line will continue as normal. Signalling is being upgraded to permit this increase.

Where the two lines overlap Churchill - Health Sciences, there will effectively be a train every 2.5 minutes each direction in peak hours. (each individual line will run at 5 minute freqency)

Sorry, I had to correct you.. This is not right.

Service will run from NAIT - Health Sciences. The current line will continue as normal. Signalling is being upgraded to permit this increase.

Where the two lines overlap Churchill - Health Sciences, there will effectively be a train every 2.5 minutes each direction in peak hours. (each individual line will run at 5 minute freqency)

Will they be making and additional platform like in Calgary we have Victoria park with 3 platforms!

Will they be making and additional platform like in Calgary we have Victoria park with 3 platforms!

I am not sure what the setup is in Calgary exactly, but the Nait - Health Sciences line will run on the existing track and use the existing platforms. The existing platforms will now each serve two lines. You'll have to watch the destination sign closely, or end up on the wrong line!

Similar set up to London, UK, where there are often trains with different end points passing by the same station and same platform.

True by my real question is when the operator switches ends at health science he must proceed north to university on the outbound track and then crosses over north of university, so won't that destroy headway ?

A tail track is under construction just south of Health Sciences station. Operator can then use the track to switch ends and then proceed to a northbound track back to Health Sciences. That should take care of the headway.

Service on the N-LRT line will not be 5 minute service.

Intial projections for ridership anticipated 2 cars trains at a peak headway of 10 minutes which would require 4 trains and 2 spare cars. They revised their projections a bit and anticipate the line reaching capacity with those 10 cars in 3 years, so added on 10 cars and now plan to run those 4 trains with 3 cars, and to add 2 more peak trains to bring the headway to around 7.5 minutes.

There will be instances of 2.5 minutes or shorter between trains, but not a consistent 2.5 minutes if NAIT was running on 5 minute peak service.

As for turn backs, a tail track is being built south of the HSS switches to turn back NAIT trains. Construction just got under way.

That particular piece of information is out there with about 30 seconds of reasearch at www.edmonton.ca/nlrt

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I noticed when I was in Edmonton the other day that the exterior cameras on the SD160s are almost twice the size as our Calgary units.... This would explain the crappy video quality we have on our units.

Here's a pic of Calgary's exterior camera's, can some one post a pic of ETS's camera for comparison?

uploadfromtaptalk1370869346034.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Not sure where to put this question so I'll put here.

Does anybody on this board have an idea on what the current mileage is on ETSs SD160s?

Calgary's oldest series 8 SD160s ( 2301 - 2338 ) is fast approaching almost 800,000 kms and newest unit is about 730,000 kms

Just thought it would be cool to compare the 2 cities

Thanks all!

Edited by LRT
Forgot to mention series
  • Like 1