Toronto Rocket Subway Cars

I noticed that when The TR says "The next station is Dupont, Dupont station." Audio system has an accent. Instead of Dupont it sounds like Dupaunt...

I have to agree here. In some places the AA is outright mispronounced. it would have been good to use the existing system but whatever...

I hate the cars for more reasons. They're too quiet! :)

On the other hand I'm seeing more H5's! :ph34r:

Seeing as only a single TR train has entered service, there's still H-4s in service.

AFAIK, none have been retired yet as a result of the TR entering service.

Last monday I saw about two H4 cars sticking out of the sheds facing north. I don't remember the number but they appeared to be retired (one pantograph gate was missing on the front). I may be wrong but I think the first car was numbered 5632?

Finally got a ride on 5411-5416 today; caught it by chance NB at Bloor. Much more people were crammed in than other trains and every inch of space was used.

And yes, the trains are eerily quiet, the only sound is the A/C and/or ventilation and wheel noise (although less than the older trains).

By the way, no H4's at Davisville today.

Today I saw 5411-5416 at Finch around 12:30pm but it was not loading people, ended up letting three sets of T1s go while I waited but alas 5411-5416 left the stations without passengers. I also missed 5411-5416 at Lawrence heading northbound around 5pm, was walking down on the last set of stairs when I saw (also hear the blower) the train.

Today I saw 5411-5416 at Finch around 12:30pm but it was not loading people, ended up letting three sets of T1s go while I waited but alas 5411-5416 left the stations without passengers. I also missed 5411-5416 at Lawrence heading northbound around 5pm, was walking down on the last set of stairs when I saw (also hear the blower) the train.

According to TTC's twitter site the TR goes out of service at around 12:30-2:30pm on weekdays, probably to give training and technical crews a lunch break.

Set 5421-5426 was out this mornig rush. Caught it at Osgoode Station.

Rode it today! Was it 5421-5426's first day of revenue service?

Rode it today! Was it 5421-5426's first day of revenue service?

Probably. The only set that has been seen in service until now is 5411-5416.

5401-5406 was out training until about 12:30x. I noticed that the exterior numbers of 5406 have been taken off.

Probably. The only set that has been seen in service until now is 5411-5416.

5401-5406 was out training until about 12:30x. I noticed that the exterior numbers of 5406 have been taken off.

5406 has been missing the fleet number at the cab end on the guard side since its delivery. "bus_7246" posted about the missing fleet number back in February (see below).

On the 5401-06 set, 5406 is unnumbered. Say it were the front car in a direction, I didn't see any signs of the vehicle number on the left side. I don't know what the case is on the opposite side. This trainset was being shunted on Monday night possibly for training purposes.

That set is a "special" set. The one side that has 5406, it's missing 5405. The other side that has 5405, it's missing 5406. Opposites attract? haha

This could delay new deliveries if it lasts long enough:

UPDATE 1 - Workers strike Bombardier's Thunder Bay plant

Tue Aug 9, 2011 5:30pm EDT

* 700 unionized workers walk off jobs

* CAW says talks broke down over pension changes

CALGARY, Alberta Aug 9 (Reuters) - Workers at Bombardier Inc's (BBDb.TO) Thunder Bay, Ontario, operation went on strike on Tuesday after negotiations broke down.

About 700 workers represented by the Canadian Auto Workers Local 1075 walked out at 4 p.m. local time after talks fell apart over the company's demand for cuts to the pension plan, the union said in a release.

The previous contract expired at the end of May.

The company's operations in Thunder Bay, on the shore of Lake Superior in northwestern Ontario, produce bi-level rail cars, as well as streetcars and subway cars.

Bombardier's class B shares rose 31 Canadian cents to C$5.21 on Tuesday on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

($=$0.98 Canadian) (Reporting by Scott Haggett; editing by Rob Wilson)

(Source)

Is the TR out on a specific crew each day, or does it very? If i see it today at about 3pm at finch, will it be there at 3 tomorrow... or do they just randomly put it in service anywhere in the line?

Is the TR out on a specific crew each day, or does it very? If i see it today at about 3pm at finch, will it be there at 3 tomorrow... or do they just randomly put it in service anywhere in the line?

Judging by the timing and the run numbers its been seen on, its only on that one run

One TR is travelling southbound on the Yonge line at Davisville Station and the other is heading northbound at College Station.

Looks like we've finally got two sets active at once.

They are out as extras, with the crews driving them on overtime. As such, their schedule will be completely random each day.

My friends (not transit enthusiasts) got a ride on the Rocket before me. I am so jealous right now. :D

I'm going to sit at Downsview station all day tomorrow until I get on a Rocket. :(

My friends (not transit enthusiasts) got a ride on the Rocket before me. I am so jealous right now. :D

I'm going to sit at Downsview station all day tomorrow until I get on a Rocket. :(

Perhaps you could try following TTC's Twitter feed and get updates on the TR locations there.

Or, if you just want to wait it out, you should be able to get one much faster if you wait at Union instead at the end of the line.

+1 i happened to ride one last saturday by chance, i did go ride one on the first day of service as well. lol a friend of mine who not really a transit fan(more of a railfan) wanted to ride one last saturday, but i said to him you got years to ride them, but not long to ride a h5 etc

I just don't understand why some people are so crazy over them. To me the TRs are just a mash up between MTA style interiors and MTR trains.

its because they are new, like when ever apple relases something, fanboys go gaga over what it is, fanboyism at its worst......

its because they are new, like when ever apple relases something, fanboys go gaga over what it is, fanboyism at its worst......

That is stereotypical. I adore Apple but I still have common sense and see if their products are worth buying. Truth is, most people who are SERIOUS fanboys don't own Apple products.

Also, its because we haven't had new trains in a while.

I wonder if they smell like new car smell. YRT's new New Flyer's have a new car smell. Hehe :(

Although I think people get a bit crazy over this stuff, it does have to be remembered that new subway trains haven't hit Toronto since the last millennium. Personally I draw the line at sitting at Downsview station for hours waiting for the TR, but I'll let a T1 pass if I know the TR is out at that time. It would be pretty interesting to ride the TR, even though I know that it will be common place in a year.

Perhaps you could try following TTC's Twitter feed and get updates on the TR locations there.

Or, if you just want to wait it out, you should be able to get one much faster if you wait at Union instead at the end of the line.

Might be a good idea for me to wait it out as I don't ride the 1 YUS line very often.