Toronto Rocket Subway Cars

5 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

And why TTC isn't running them with more acceleration so they can move quickly to be more considerable to the T1's? If they can't operate comparably to the T1's at the same cost, they are worst trains. It doesn't matter if they are much more powerful. If they can't take advantage of it, that's just a waste of money even having that spec.

Like I said, that's what the TTC specified. Much like a lot of the other things that people on here complain about with them.

Don't like it? Maybe you should complain to them on Twitter.

Dan

• Like 1

From a business perspective it doesnt make much sense to have them spec'd to operate slower. The slower they operate, the more trains they'll need to put on to operate service, ultimately resulting in increased operational costs, and increased maintenance costs. Although the increases would be marginal and they'll get away with some of these issues with ATO.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2016/July_11/Reports/22_PAA_to_Modify_Toronto_Rocket_(TR)_Trainsets_to_Accommodat.pdf

According to the above report, One-person train operation (OPTO) is set to begin on the Sheppard line at the start of the September board period (Sept. 4). However, it is unclear if training for OPTO will begin on that date or if the crewing schedule itself will be modified to allow for one operator per train effective Sept 4. Considering that only three 4-car TR's have seen regular service so far and the last 4-car TR train is not scheduled to be delivered until November (according to the CEO's report), I think it is safe to assume the former is true, with full-blown OPTO not implemented before the year's end.

5 hours ago, smallspy said:

Like I said, that's what the TTC specified. Much like a lot of the other things that people on here complain about with them.

Don't like it? Maybe you should complain to them on Twitter.

Dan

Just wait for Andy Byford keep quoting door problems.

I really hope the next order would have this problem sorted out. At least the door as it's very inconsistent between trains and operators. TTC should order a few demo trains before committing to buy a fleet of them. Like how Berlin did with their Flexity's. Otherwise Bombardier is just going to mass produce them with the problems.

13 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Just wait for Andy Byford keep quoting door problems.

I really hope the next order would have this problem sorted out. At least the door as it's very inconsistent between trains and operators. TTC should order a few demo trains before committing to buy a fleet of them. Like how Berlin did with their Flexity's. Otherwise Bombardier is just going to mass produce them with the problems.

The inconsistency in the doors is 100% operator based. The door supply feed isn't engaged until the train controller is in the full brake position, so if the operator is slow to put it in that position, the doors are slow as a consequence.

The TTC chose to have the trains set up like that for safety reasons. From my understanding there were a few incidents with the T1's and Hawker's where doors were popped open and the train hadn't come to a complete stop yet.

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

I was in Montreal last week and the train doors always open before coming to a full stop. And close without notice or chimes.

You could only get away withe that with the H cars  

Keep in mind the vintage of the Montreal cars. Other than a handful of brand new ones, the most recent cars are about 40 years old, and many are over 50 years old.

As far as I understand it, the door opening in Montreal is done my the automatic train control system. The system brings it into the station, and opens the doors. The driver does nothing until it's time to leave the station and has to close the doors.

Presumably they have got it programmed to open the door just as it's stopping, so there's some minor amount of movement still going on as the doors start to open.

5 hours ago, nfitz said:

None in service today.

That's impossible. See: https://cptdb.ca/topic/14271-ttc-t1-movement-thread/?page=21#comment-737225

With four trainsets (2 T1's and 2 Toronto Rockets) landlocked east of Bayview due to the partial closure this weekend, they absolutely must keep 3 trains in service at all times, with 1 spare at Don Mills. So there must be at least one Toronto Rocket in service at all times this weekend (in fact., both were this morning, with a T1 spare parked at Don Mills).

11 hours ago, ttc rider said:

With four trainsets (2 T1's and 2 Toronto Rockets) landlocked east of Bayview  ...

The picture was from Sheppard-Yonge - so not from "now".  Though I forgot they were running further east, to tell the truth.

On 7/14/2016 at 6:53 PM, H4 5600 said:

Also I hope the TR's are gone from BD shortly, they are so slow. The one I mentioned in this post was about 9 minutes behind the T1 in front at rush hour.

That may be in part to YUS operators operating on a line that they aren't familiar with. Yes, the TRs are slower in some ways compared to a T1, but I think inexperience with the line may be more of a factor here. Those TRs are being driven by YUS ops, which are not used to the BD line.

A T1 being operated by a YUS op on the BD line will be slower than a T1 being operated by a BD op on the BD line in general. In this case it has nothing to do with the TR taking longer at stops or accelerating slower than a T1. 

A good amount of YUS Ops came from the BD line and are familiar with it. I would almost bet that close to 40% of OPs on the YUS line came from BD.  The guys that went done there are very familiar with the BD line, and even they admit the TRs are slow.  Even when we had H5s and T1s on the YUS, catching up to a TR was easy. TRs are slower, and has been discussed on here many times why they are slower.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2016 at 11:52 AM, 16 McCowan said:

Are there any TRs on Line 2 this week? I'm thinking of catching one during that period. 

Keep an eye on Brad Ross' twitter. With temps climbing again I suspect 3-4 will be on Line 2 tomorrow/Friday.