Toronto Rocket Subway Cars

The gap is more like 50 feet IIRC. The 7th car would be inserted in between as you said.

However, the TTC didn't say they WOULD, only that it's a possibility and that it COULD happen. One letter, major difference.

I was using 4 feet just as an example. Yes, my bad... mixed could with would :D

Yes, quite afew 50xx and 51xx are getting it. The only T1 on the YUS is getting it is 5192-93, which has been sitting in the shops for 3 months now.

I think i saw 5192-93 during the open doors. Very interesting though. How do you know when the rebuilt is even completed?

Who ever said that they would? All the infrastructure is built for 6 car trains. You would be better off putting more trains on the line than adding single cars. Not to mention the T and H cars cant run with odd numbers, unless you build dummies. But it would be cheaper to order more new trainsets.

Vivanext wants them. TTC may do it. vivanext says that with the automatic control the TTC could potentially and may do to put another car in. Becuase as aformentioned above, the computer or whatever will be able to stop and position the train in a station in such a fashion where there is good enough space to add a seventh car. Whereas current cars do not allow for this since they're in married pairs and are also driven manually. The space between the ends of the cars and the ends of the station are for... what-do you-call it... "margin of error"??

And no, more trains (on an already packed subway at peak) does not necessarily mean more reliable service. You still have to wait on signal clearance, especially at termini which can take awhile. What good would it do when you have trains spaced less than 2 minutes all of them packed anyway? You might as well run a moving walkway throughout the line too. Personally, if the system was able to handle it, I would have had 8-car trains running more capacity per train. Lord knows due to Yonge's inherited popularity, 8 probably wouldn't suffice in 10 years anyway...

Anyway dude, the answer to that is alternatives to the subway, which unfortunately are just as bad today. And more capacity per train results in less run-time delays instead of just running more trains which would slow down everyone. Most operators may agree with this.

Sorry a bit off topic....ummm where are those new wheel trans buses? They arent in the list. I thought that was approved.

I don't know actually. IIRC, they did this to the TR's and some NG groups as well when they were approved and built. They are not in service to my oberservation. I think it's just the one that's here, no? But then, they probably just didn't pu them in yet :-S

Maybe we should get them to run for service on the 115 and 122 after 8pm too lol.

now back to Toronto Rockets...

Yes, quite afew 50xx and 51xx are getting it. The only T1 on the YUS is getting it is 5192-93, which has been sitting in the shops for 3 months now.

Anyone know what the scope of work is going to be done? Upgrading the computer equipment? Rebuild traction motors?

Vivanext wants them. TTC may do it. vivanext says that with the automatic control the TTC could potentially and may do to put another car in. Becuase as aformentioned above, the computer or whatever will be able to stop and position the train in a station in such a fashion where there is good enough space to add a seventh car. Whereas current cars do not allow for this since they're in married pairs and are also driven manually. The space between the ends of the cars and the ends of the station are for... what-do you-call it... "margin of error"??

That margin of error really isn't needed, as I quite easily stop the train right where it's supposed to be stopped every time, and so do most of my partners. At Wellesley and Bloor-Yonge northbound, you have to pull the train up all the way to the end of the platform anyways, and I routinely do so without difficulty. We could most definitely have full platform length trains driven manually without difficulty. Heck, they do it on most lines in London, and in Montreal when the ATO isn't working... no reason why we couldn't do it here too.

The front and back of the subway cars are repainted. Same colours, looks shiny and clean on the outside.
Also to add the difference between a rebuilt and non is near the sliding door. On the T1's, above the coupler right by sliding door is painted yellow on the floor, which means it's rebuilt unit.

Also to add the difference between a rebuilt and non is near the sliding door. On the T1's, above the coupler right by sliding door is painted yellow on the floor, which means it's rebuilt unit.

Will there be a rebuild badge installed like the other H series?

No, I check the ones that received rebuild and nothing. Just have to find a yellow painted board by the outside sliding door. I edited my photo to show what a rebuild train looks like.

Is this a full rebuild like the H4s or an overhaul like the H5s? If it's the former, isn't it a bit too early to do that to the T1s as they're not even 20 years yet? The H6s just got their rebuild done.

Also, since they're rebuilding it so soon, will there be another rebuild later on as the T1s have tons of life left in them?

This isn't much of anything really - all they seem to be doing is replacing the mechanical bits before they can become a problem, and slapping some paint on the non-aluminum bits.

I think to call it an overhaul is even a stretch.

Dan

Oh I see; I was initially very surprise when I thought they were actually going to do a rebuild so soon in life.

This isn't much of anything really - all they seem to be doing is replacing the mechanical bits before they can become a problem, and slapping some paint on the non-aluminum bits.

I think to call it an overhaul is even a stretch.

Dan

I guess it's more or less a "touch-up"?

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I pass by Wilson yard every weekday, and this week I noticed that the TTC has begun to lay the tracks that lead into the new maintainence building. They've connected up a new switch, and also have begun to compact the gravel bed in which more tracks will be layed. It must be nearing completion now. Any updates from Thunder Bay on the status of the cars??

Update: I pass by Wilson yard every weekday, and this week I noticed that the TTC has begun to lay the tracks that lead into the new maintainence building. They've connected up a new switch, and also have begun to compact the gravel bed in which more tracks will be layed. It must be nearing completion now. Any updates from Thunder Bay on the status of the cars??

You won't be hearing about the status from Thunder Bay - the first trainset is at the facility in Millhaven for testing.

I believe that Brad Ross (one of the TTC's media point men) said that it is expected on the property by the end of October.

Dan

given all the engineering "signing off" that has to be done for the new carhouse alone to be operational, october sounds optimistic.

after the walls go up and the tracks go in, there's still the electrical (both low and high voltage), hvac, and plumbing to be done.

considering that this will be a heavy machine shop, there'll be tons of complex installations to be done and

tested, and re-tested.

fitting out the rough structure will be the most time consuming part of the whole project, in my opinion.

-not to say they couldn't sit elsewhere 'till the job is done.