Toronto Rocket Subway Cars

59 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Really? A few years back OPTO was being discussed on here and someone said that it would theoretically be possible to run OPTO on the H and T cars by getting up and guarding on the opposite side. Is there a reason why the driver has to have door controls near his seat?

Sure, you could theoretically do it, but it wouldn't be safe. You need a way to monitor the platform as the train moves off after the doors are closed. I also don't think it would be a great idea to leave the door controls energized and unattended off cab side while the operator is busy in the cab driving. You need a way to secure the whole cab area, not just cab side.

• Like 1

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎09 at 8:18 AM, dowlingm said:

when Sheppard trains are being moved over the Yonge line out of service, is it okay for a sole operator to do so or is there any safety requirement to carry a guard?

One thing to remember is that train change-offs are performed by subway yard operators (SYO's), not regular operators and there is a crew of two SYO's on the train as it deadheads from the yard to the change-off location and back. The same has always been true for the Sheppard line change-offs, as well. I don't know if the rules have changed now that OPTO has been implemented (although I suspect they haven't, since we are talking about deadheads on the Yonge line to and from Davisville yard, which have nothing to do with OPTO operation on Sheppard per se).

15 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

If the doors don't open, there isn't a need for a guard. Any trains basically.

Perhaps so, but line change-offs have always been performed with a crew of two on the change-off train. See above.

20 hours ago, Turtle said:

That being said, it wouldn't be the end of the world if they had to bring a 4 car T1 up there, it would just be a bit of time running service missing one train until they could find an extra body to do guarding duties on the T1. According to the rules they have set up, a qualified member of management could do the work for a little while (basically an hour in an "emergency") until a proper staff member showed up.

It would be amusing to see T1 trains running on Sheppard with 2-person crews substituting for TR's that are OPTO enabled. So much for the "savings" that OPTO would bring. It will be interesting to see if they are able to field all service with TR's as the schedule calls for. Have all six 4-car TR sets been delivered and commissioned?

It has been reported to me that the original 4-car TR "test train", 5471-5472-5475-5476 has entered regular service on the Sheppard line in this configuration. So probably the remaining two 4-car sets (618x and 619x) have not been delivered after all, as they do need at least one spare. 4 out of 5 trains in service is very tight as it is.

Also on the subject of TR's and OPTO: any first-hand observations/impressions on how it is been working in practice for the past few days? The daily score cards http://www.ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Daily_Customer_Service_Report/index.jsp indicate service reliability has gone down since OPTO was started (it was rarely below 99% previously and it has not even hit 96% at all this week).

31 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

It has been reported to me that the original 4-car TR "test train", 5471-5472-5475-5476 has entered regular service on the Sheppard line in this configuration. So probably the remaining two 4-car sets (618x and 619x) have not been delivered after all, as they do need at least one spare. 4 out of 5 trains in service is very tight as it is.

6181-86 and 6191-96 will be the final TRs delivered. 6131-36, the final 6-car set, will be delivered first. I believe all the TRs are suppose to be here by the end of November, if I'm not wrong.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2016 at 0:05 PM, soo8513 said:

New TRs.

I rode 6101-6106 set on Line 1 October 12th,

Above there is a spot for two of 612x set on trucks, I dont see any post on 611x set. 

I rode 610X last Friday. I'm not sure if you noticed that it has the new version of subway map found on the Line 4 TRs.

Maybe they'll update the older sets with the new map. Some of the T1's got new maps too with a much darker black like the older maps and the 192 route number in a green box to match all express route appearances.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Kind of stupid question based on the Sheppard test train, what did they do with 5473-74?

Unless plans have changed, they are going to be placed back into that set to form a 6 car train again. They've likely sat in storage at one of the yards. 

10 hours ago, DL1892 said:

Unless plans have changed, they are going to be placed back into that set to form a 6 car train again. They've likely sat in storage at one of the yards. 

Those cars are sitting under a tarp in Wilson Yard for when the trains goes back to being a 6 car train.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, lip said:

The train set with 5996 has external route announcements programed. As usual the TTC cant get it right, so they will probably be reprogrammed in the future. Here is an example of announcement once the door opens: "Line 1, Downsview"

There is also a T1 unit with the side destination signs, or at least there was one running around Davisville Yard with them on about a month ago. I didn't catch the number, I was on a moving train at the time.

I heard the external announcements on that TR (599x) a few weeks ago. It will announce "This train is out of service" or something like "Line 1 to Downsview" depending on what line it's on or how it is set. It wasn't linked to the front destination signs, so if the train was displaying St. Clair West on the front sign it would still announce "Line 1 to Downsview" on the external speakers. The side destination signs were not on at the time. Those external speakers are really loud. That was a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Did this set have the destination signs on the side or just the announcements?

They were there when I was on it, but they weren't turned on when the external announcements were being made.

3 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Did this set have the destination signs on the side or just the announcements?

There are no side destination signs on the 5996 train set, it is just the external route announcement. The announcements are definitely missing part of the english vocabulary; it announces "Line 1, Downsview" as opposed to something like "Line 1, to Downsview", or "Line 1 Northbound, to Downsview".

21 hours ago, lip said:

There are no side destination signs on the 5996 train set, it is just the external route announcement. The announcements are definitely missing part of the english vocabulary; it announces "Line 1, Downsview" as opposed to something like "Line 1, to Downsview", or "Line 1 Northbound, to Downsview".

My mistake, I mixed it up with another train that had the side signs installed but not working where the external announcements were functional. I didn't make note of the number then, I just assumed it was this one. I just remembered there being a "to" in the announcement on the one I was on, so it would have called out "Line 1 to Downsview" or "Line 1 to Finch".

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Somewhere here I read that all TRs would be onsite by November 30th. 

Official info channels, including the CEO's reports indicate otherwise...

3 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Did that happen? If not, what's missing?

The very last six-car set for the YUS (613x) and the last two 4-car sets for Sheppard (618x & 619x).

Speaking of Sheppard, it is a pleasant surprise that they've been successful at making daily service using 4-car TR's with only one spare for the past two months and not needing T1's to substitute.

On 2016-12-02 at 3:28 PM, ttc rider said:

Speaking of Sheppard, it is a pleasant surprise that they've been successful at making daily service using 4-car TR's with only one spare for the past two months and not needing T1's to substitute.

https://www.ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Daily_Customer_Service_Report/index.jsp

...on Thurs, Dec 1, they only got 85% of service on Sheppard within their guidelines. Their goal was 98% of service within headways + 3min. I don't know how they could screw that one up that badly.

Two trains were running up there all day today with barricaded doors. Maybe they should order a couple more spare trains for sheppard.

7 hours ago, Turtle said:

https://www.ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Daily_Customer_Service_Report/index.jsp

...on Thurs, Dec 1, they only got 85% of service on Sheppard within their guidelines. Their goal was 98% of service within headways + 3min. I don't know how they could screw that one up that badly.

I know, I've been following that section daily since OPTO started in October, and daily schedule adherence is not impressive, to put it politely, and much worse than what used to be achieved before OPTO. That's why I've made a separate topic:

Any input as to why things are so bad would be appreciated. If the line is consistently under-performing, I suppose the matter would eventually be dealt with the same way as on the YUS and BD: revise the schedule, by increasing the running times and headways.

20 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Do they have step back crews for the Sheppard line?  Would adding them or adding another step back help? 

Yes, single step-backs at Sheppard-Yonge at all times, but no step-backs at Don Mills.

20 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Was there a need to adjust the schedule to match the TR operating speeds? 

There may as well be a need to adjust the schedule, but it wasn't.

In fact, the schedule for Sheppard was never changed and except adding a few earlier trips on Sunday mornings in January 2016 for an 8 AM start, the line operates with the original schedule from the time it opened in November 2002.

I wounder if someone is intentionally protesting OPTO. I don't think it's the case through.

The TR's might be having teething issues as they are a rather new fleet. TTC should really report average km before failure for 4 car TRs as a separate item on the CEO report since they can't have other TR's sub it unlike T1's.