Toronto Rocket Subway Cars

That's true and that's why there's the chime and announcement

However the doormen need to be sensible and ensure that the chime and announcement has had a chance to play through fully before they close over trying to rush the procedure and risk chopping people who are are still theoretically in the "yellow light"

That's true and that's why there's the chime and announcement

However the doormen need to be sensible and ensure that the chime and announcement has had a chance to play through fully before they close over trying to rush the procedure and risk chopping people who are are still theoretically in the "yellow light"

Yellow means stop if you are driving a car and it is safe to do so. Flashing yellow hand in a crosswalk means don't start crossing. So, if you are in the "yellow light", in most situations you are in the wrong.

Just to give you an idea of what those "doormen" are dealing with, try looking down 450' of crowded platform, taking care of 24 doors at once. Those "doormen" only see about 3' of platform, they don't see around corners, up stairs, down corridors, to the collector booths. They can't see through pillars, suitcases, or people. If someone is running for the train, they are doing something they are not supposed to do. If someone is running down a set of stairs and pops out of a cutout in a wall, or from behind a pillar, and slams into the closing doors, that is their fault, they did not heed the warnings. Do you run into closing elevator doors, which do not have any of those warnings? Why the train, when the next train will arrive sooner than the next elevator in many cases?

There is no such thing as catching someone in the doors, as long as the warnings are working. It is designed so that the doors don't exert enough pressure to injure you. Sure, it may squeeze a little, but not damage you. If you are running, then you are the one adding enough force to cause injury.

Would you run face first into a brick wall? Glass and metal hurts just the same.

Would you run face first into a brick wall? Glass and metal hurts just the same.

The only time in recent times that I've actually seen someone literally bounce off a door just after it closed it was a uniformed TTC employee. I can only assume that he thought that if he ran for it, the operator would change his mind about closing the doors. The operator didn't, and the train left.

However, clearly it's acceptable to do this, given that TTC employees do the same. :)

The only time in recent times that I've actually seen someone literally bounce off a door just after it closed it was a uniformed TTC employee. I can only assume that he thought that if he ran for it, the operator would change his mind about closing the doors. The operator didn't, and the train left.

However, clearly it's acceptable to do this, given that TTC employees do the same. :)

That employee should reel in his sense of importance a little bit so he doesn't get hurt seriously next time. He isn't more important than hundreds of people who managed to get on that train before the doors started to close, despite what he thinks that uniform gets him.

One big problem is those TR door chimes. They are really hard to hear on the platform with the HVAC fans running. Just the other day, I couldn't get on one at Bloor during rush hour. I had to let it pass because it was too crowded. When the chimes went, they were so faint I thought it was the train on the opposite side closing the doors. The modified TRs with the external chimes are so much better.

That employee should reel in his sense of importance a little bit so he doesn't get hurt seriously next time. He isn't more important than hundreds of people who managed to get on that train before the doors started to close, despite what he thinks that uniform gets him.

He did look a little stunned and abashed. It was very amusing.

One big problem is those TR door chimes. They are really hard to hear on the platform with the HVAC fans running. Just the other day, I couldn't get on one at Bloor during rush hour. I had to let it pass because it was too crowded. When the chimes went, they were so faint I thought it was the train on the opposite side closing the doors. The modified TRs with the external chimes are so much better.

They announced in July they are going to spend over $10 million to put external chimes on all the TRs - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2014/July_23/Reports/PROCUREMENT_AUTHORIZATION_AMENDMENT_TO_THE_TORONTO_ROCKET_TR.pdf

So that issue should go away.

He did look a little stunned and abashed. It was very amusing.

They announced in July they are going to spend over $10 million to put external chimes on all the TRs - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2014/July_23/Reports/PROCUREMENT_AUTHORIZATION_AMENDMENT_TO_THE_TORONTO_ROCKET_TR.pdf

So that issue should go away.

One wonders why they didn't just specify the external speakers in the first place, as all the cars have had external chimes since the prototype train had the same issue with the chimes not being audible outside when it was first put into service in the spring of 1991. It was modified with external speakers a few months later.

Couldn't find a reliable source of information, so I am going to ask a couple of questions here:

How many motors does a TR set have?

What is the output power per motor? How does it compare with the AC motors on the T1 cars?

Most of the fixed-car "Movia" designs only have the middle cars powered, with the first and last cars being unpowered. Is this the case with the TRs as well?

Couldn't find a reliable source of information, so I am going to ask a couple of questions here:

How many motors does a TR set have?

What is the output power per motor? How does it compare with the AC motors on the T1 cars?

Most of the fixed-car "Movia" designs only have the middle cars powered, with the first and last cars being unpowered. Is this the case with the TRs as well?

The end trucks of the A cars are unpowered, all others are powered. That means 20 of 24 axles are powered.

Each traction motor has a continuous rating of 208 hp, versus 140 for the T1s.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

http://globalnews.ca/news/1599950/ttc-adding-more-subways-to-ease-rush-hour-congestion/

Does this mean that the TR's will begin to make appearances on the B-D line?

well since pretty much all the T1s (360+)are going to be at greenwood and there are a lot of TRs on the Yonge line I don't know you tell me. If there is a shortage on line 2 then maybe

well since pretty much all the T1s (360+)are going to be at greenwood and there are a lot of TRs on the Yonge line I don't know you tell me. If there is a shortage on line 2 then maybe

There is more than enough T1's for Line 2 plus the Scarborough subway extension. There will never be a shortage of T1's. The TTC overbought TR's to convert the entire line 1.

For Line 1, there might be a shortage of TR's thanks to Bombardier's strike. They need 51 TR trains but only have 56 TR's. That's only 5 trains for spares.