Why is Orion so bad in the west

Orion V

Well among other reasons is the unstable delivery times. The 2008's Orion V Suburbans were supposed to be here in October 2007, 6 months later they are finally here.

Too bad you guys don't have the late delivery penalty that APTA had in 2003; 3 Vs were bought with 3 FREE Vs for delivery time slow compensation! That was amazing.

You guys only have 10 so it's easy for Orion to give you guys 10 more for free.

It probably stems from the fact that on the few tenders that do come up, OriOn is usually the highest bidder (probably due to a stainless steel frame). When it is lowest cost wins tendering, they have no chance.

I suspect NovaBus has "fire saled" a few tenders in order to get some Western exposure, and I like their busses. Seems Regina and Vancouver do too!

Also, New Flyer Industries (and even NovaBus) have signed several long term contracts, so the number of tenders is way down.

Add in several "sole source" deals and there is even less to bid on out here

This also hurts the most is the warranty work available, an example to deal with 76 Orion V suburban for Translink.

This also hurts the most is the warranty work available, an example to deal with 76 Orion V suburban for Translink.

A lot of warranty work is done through third party companies or the transit agency themselves anyways. At least that is the case for a lot of transit systems in the west. Rarely do buses actually get sent back to the manufacture. So I would think warranty work would be available, just Orion might not be the ones doing the work, yet they would still be paying for it.

A lot of warranty work is done through third party companies or the transit agency themselves anyways. At least that is the case for a lot of transit systems in the west. Rarely do buses actually get sent back to the manufacture. So I would think warranty work would be available, just Orion might not be the ones doing the work, yet they would still be paying for it.

Yes, your right about it but this also depends what type of work is needed. If it's minor like the body, then they send to a rep. to work there. If it's major like structural work, they send back to Orion and I remember saw a Yolobus Orion VII CNG was there during my Orion visit in Mississauga back about 5 years ago.

Most of Vancouver's warranty work, regardless of it being Nova, Orion or New Flyer is carried out in Port Kells at Cullen Diesel.

That's regarding about the powertrain work.