Calgary Transit

kevlo86

6 minutes ago, D40LF said:

New drivers are literally thrown into the deep end when they first start. They have to learn the routes very quickly, sometimes minutes before taking over if they are on standby. There is also the problem of drivers driving around a certain area on one route and them driving that same area on another route and missing a turn (I know as I did this myself!!!)

Been there done that! Talk about stress, but all worth it at the end. It usually takes one trip then you know the route pretty damn good and then you become a pro!

Also, many new LRT operators out on the track the last few weeks. Lots of training trains, and most of these operators are junior and very green.

So keep an eye out for disruptions and possibly the odd train going off route! ?

??????

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, R. Meu said:

Yeah with all the new drivers coming in you can’t really blame them, it’s best to help them if need be for directions. As more new guys come in, give a little room for them to settle in.

I will say though, the rides have sucked more in the last couple of weeks for a different issue, which has become a pet peeve of mine.  Constant capacity issues recently during rush hour and even during the the day sometimes on the 3 and 301 (and probably the MO too) because of the fact that some daytime keys that run until 1800/1900 are getting novas more often on the daily instead of artics (on Artic keys) than they should (despite the fact there hasn’t been a snowstorm in awhile) which really adds to the problematic full standing loads even though the the frequency is better during peaks. I get artic availability is likely being stretched thin at times with school runs (with SF), but it gets frustrating when you see slow dispatches of things that are sent out extremely late like the 123/124 extras, as well as the MO and the 8 and to see those get artics for example and run awkwardly being so behind, its just a letdown and a disappointment for what it is.

Yep something else I forgot to mention as well, flip-flopping of Arctics/Novas on the 301 I usually catch when as far as I know it should be an Arctic and this of course leads to capacity issues.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LRT said:

Been there done that! Talk about stress, but all worth it at the end. It usually takes one trip then you know the route pretty damn good and then you become a pro!

Also, many new LRT operators out on the track the last few weeks. Lots of training trains, and most of these operators are junior and very green.

So keep an eye out for disruptions and possibly the odd train going off route! ?

??????

Are the signals and switches not automated? Is it actually possible for a Red Line train to head NE? That would be a fun excuse for being late to work...

1 minute ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Are the signals and switches not automated? Is it actually possible for a Red Line train to head NE? That would be a fun excuse for being late to work...

Absolutely!

If you have the wrong destination code, entered into the VIS and you don’t notice that you have the wrong signal you’re going to go the wrong way. 

Another common mistake would be at O’Neill switches. You can receive the same aspect that’s supposed to route you to the northwest or to the inbound (eastbound) tracks using the 10st in street switches after you go through O’Neill pit switches. 

It’s important to read your switches and have clear communication with Rail Control. Sometimes rail control will route you to the wrong side of town so you need to stop immediately before you enter interlocking limits so the error can be changed otherwise you’re stuck following your aspects until you can switch ends, go through the switches switch ends again and go back the right way causing a huge delay and inconvenience to 1000s of people. 

?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Kubsss said:

Or that will just make more drivers in trouble, get them discouraged and worst case will make them quit their job. Best way is try to help the driver on the spot if you see them struggling with not knowing the route and guide them as much as you can.

Depends what defines “in trouble”. Would drivers be given some kind of support in these situations, such as additional resources or training at no cost? You know, something to encourage employee retention in 2023’s tough labor market where someone could leave for somewhere else in a heartbeat if they don’t like how they’re treated. Or is CT’s management more of a McDonald’s level of childish and incompetent where they expect simply bringing someone in the office, ripping them a new one for making a mistake and calling it a day to somehow do something good for everyone in the long run?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick B said:

Depends what defines “in trouble”. Would drivers be given some kind of support in these situations, such as additional resources or training at no cost? You know, something to encourage employee retention in 2023’s tough labor market where someone could leave for somewhere else in a heartbeat if they don’t like how they’re treated.

Thanks for the laugh Nick! I know lots of ops that have left because of lack of support.

3 hours ago, Nick B said:

Or is CT’s management more of a McDonald’s level of childish and incompetent where they expect simply bringing someone in the office, ripping them a new one for making a mistake and calling it a day to somehow do something good for everyone in the long run?

No comment...

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, LRT said:

Might be a while…

Looks like they’re all here, but need some work before they go out unless they’re gonna run them in white?

I remember walking around the new buses at SG, nothing like that new bus smell. I learnt to enjoy it before all the drunks rode!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, D40LF said:

I remember walking around the new buses at SG, nothing like that new bus smell. I learnt to enjoy it before all the drunks rode!

Believe it or not, I’ve never driven a Nova.

I usually tend to drive the most worn out buses I can find. ?

I drove in Excelsior once that made its way to Victoria Park.. I guess that was a treat ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LRT said:

Believe it or not, I’ve never driven a Nova.

I usually tend to drive the most worn out buses I can find. ?

I drove in Excelsior once that made its way to Victoria Park.. I guess that was a treat ?

Some ops hated them but I enjoyed them, except when bouncing down Centre Street around the Thorncliffe Community Association but that was my own fault for signing the 300. The one scary thing I found was they could lift you out of the drivers seat, even with the seat belt on!

On a positive note their short wheel base did make the Valleyridge turn around easier, although you just had to watch the kickout on that fire hydrant by the entrance!

7 hours ago, agott said:

I saw a bus priority signal at the new traffic lights installed at Shaganappi Trail and Hidden Valley Drive. Is it just for the 8 or is there gonna be a new BRT along there soon?

7BBD4F1F-9C1D-4C6B-836F-0A77F16ED563.jpeg

Eventually lol. For now the 82/school runs can use it

• 2 weeks later...

Unadvertised changes on Route 1 weekdays:
• Departures from endpoints every 22 minutes all day long (currently ~20 minutes morning/midday/afternoon, ~26 minutes evening/night)
• Resulting midpoint headways of 21-25 minutes morning/midday/afternoon
• Mostly 18-22 minutes at midpoints evening and late night
• Extended service span at end of day. Last EB departures from downtown at 23:45, 00:20 and 00:38. Last WB departure from Forest Lawn to city centre at 00:42. Last WB departures from downtown at 23:44, 00:18, 00:30 and 00:52. New schedule apparently doesn't conform with 23:45 and 00:20 pulses westbound from downtown.

Also found this under Route 300: "Service frequency adjusted to every 12 minutes during afternoon peak, and to every 24 minutes in the afternoon." However, schedules still show 2 departures/hour all day.

(P.S. Edited Route 1 change description to clarify.)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, downbeat said:

Unadvertised changes on Route 1 weekdays:
• Departures from endpoints every 22 minutes all day long (currently ~20 minutes morning/midday/afternoon, ~26 minutes evening/night)
• Resulting midpoint headways of 21-25 minutes morning/midday/afternoon
• Mostly 18-22 minutes at midpoints evening and late night
• Extended service span at end of day. Last EB departures from downtown at 23:45, 00:20 and 00:38. Last WB departure from Forest Lawn to city centre at 00:42. Last WB departures from downtown at 23:44, 00:18, 00:30 and 00:52. New schedule apparently doesn't conform with 23:45 and 00:20 pulses westbound from downtown.

Also found this under Route 300: "Service frequency adjusted to every 12 minutes during afternoon peak, and to every 24 minutes in the afternoon." However, schedules still show 2 departures/hour all day.

(P.S. Edited Route 1 change description to clarify.)

Well that's a bit of a bummer. The nice thing about having the 1 and MP both running at 20 minute frequencies is that they were generally able to space out the two routes apart so you'd end up with about a 10 minute gap between either of them at most times of the day in either direction. With the new variable frequency for the 1, they'll still be those gaps at certain times of the day but they'll also be times where they run literally minutes apart or at the exact same time.

In general, it seems like having odd frequencies is becoming more common on a lot of routes these days. I'd still much prefer having a bus that runs at like a 10/15/20/30 minute frequency consistently throughout the day since it's so much easier remembering the schedule. At least nowdays, it's a lot easier to look up the schedule or next bus time on your phone. Obviously, the main reason they're doing this is to pad out the schedules so that routes with tighter schedules have a little more time for each round trip. Unfortunately though, having these weird frequencies on a route make transfers to connecting buses really inconsistent.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

Unfortunately though, having these weird frequencies on a route make transfers to connecting buses really inconsistent.

Fortunately (in a way) for those transferring to Route 23, it is also moving to a 22-minute headway during the midday, so … yay? ?‍♂️

I was surprised by the longer service span and improved evening service for Route 1 more than anything else. 

On 3/3/2023 at 10:19 PM, downbeat said:

And it seems the schedules themselves are up as well.

Had a look at the changes myself, seems like a lot of vagueness in "improving scheduled adherence" for a lot of the "changes" they made. No dramatic service increases to see, probably won't see that until later in the year at minimum from what it's looking like, and the adjustments to frequency for a lot of those routes that are going to have those changes is just.....weird. Having such odd frequencies is really not great when transferring to a different bus, especially when the frequency across the entire network remains at an ill state at this time. At least to alleviate part of the issue would be to pad even more time for operators and making frequencies with round numbers, because it would be more of a win win that way for the rider and the driver in that regard where there would be decent layover time and proper connections for riders. 

Side note, the one that really needs schedule adherence changes and adjustments from what I've seen so far recently that hasn't been changed officially is the 78. Off-peak on both keys for the route seem to be extremely late almost everyday, and that definitely has something to do with the timing on those runs.

On 3/4/2023 at 12:20 AM, downbeat said:

The sentence alone regarding the really doesn't make a lot of sense and the fact its also a typo really causes even greater confusion. No changes on the 300 is what it should've been instead since the schedule reflects the same frequency with small tweaks to leave times for some trips I guess  ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Huh... do LRT operators sometimes get "drafted" to drive buses if needed?

It’s actually the other way around. It’s actually quite complex as far as how it all works.

In a nutshell, all operators have the opportunity to operate trains. From what I understand the rules have changed. It used to be at one point that every year operators were asked to volunteer to operate Trains now I believe it’s every three years.  

By seniority as train operators are needed, the volunteers get drawn from the buses onto trains.

The most senior become permanent and the most junior come on and off buses as work is needed.

At the end of the day, train operators and big bus operators have the same seniority, so technically if somebody was on Trains for 15 years and getting some really good work and a senior operator decides to come on that train operator that was on trains for 15 years gets bumped and loses that sweet work. 

It sorta sucks but the advantages are that you get to go back to bus.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LRT said:

It’s actually the other way around. It’s actually quite complex as far as how it all works.

In a nutshell, all operators have the opportunity to operate trains. From what I understand the rules have changed. It used to be at one point that every year operators were asked to volunteer to operate Trains now I believe it’s every three years.  

By seniority as train operators are needed, the volunteers get drawn from the buses onto trains.

The most senior become permanent and the most junior come on and off buses as work is needed.

At the end of the day, train operators and big bus operators have the same seniority, so technically if somebody was on Trains for 15 years and getting some really good work and a senior operator decides to come on that train operator that was on trains for 15 years gets bumped and loses that sweet work. 

It sorta sucks but the advantages are that you get to go back to bus.

I once looked at going to train but a very senior op who is now retired cautioned me against for that very reason. He said to wait until the seniority was in the 400s as there are no good shifts for juniors and even then if a senior guy goes to train you get bumped.

Perhaps the most disappointing change is for Route 145. Buses come every 28 minutes midday instead of 25 before. It's transit-hungry part of town, so too bad there aren't the resources to add a third bus on that route, which I reckon would bring the headway down to just under 20 minutes.

P.S. It's listed under Spring service changes but that one looks retro-active. Schedules show a 28-minute headway already.

• Like 1