Jump to content

Calgary Transit


kevlo86
 Share

Recommended Posts

The following are currently approved changes for next sign up

Route 32 weekend service extended to approx 23:00 

 

Route 128 new midday service every 32 minutes 

 

Red line will see a return to 10 minute midday weekday frequency 

 

Blue line will see a return to 10 minute midday weekday frequency 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

it seems that with the bad weather the garages and keys have been mixed up. routes that need d60lfr's and xd60's like 3,301 are served by 40 footers while routes that are normally served by 40 footers and even some suburban routes have been getting all of them

18 hours ago, vicinity said:

The following are currently approved changes for next sign up

Route 32 weekend service extended to approx 23:00 

 

Route 128 new midday service every 32 minutes 

 

Red line will see a return to 10 minute midday weekday frequency 

 

Blue line will see a return to 10 minute midday weekday frequency 

 

what do you mean by next signup? like the winter changes in december? and what routes will be changed/removed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cityridur0 said:

it seems that with the bad weather the garages and keys have been mixed up. routes that need d60lfr's and xd60's like 3,301 are served by 40 footers while routes that are normally served by 40 footers and even some suburban routes have been getting all of them

Welcome to the forum!

Displacing articulated buses from their usual routes is something Calgary Transit has done in the past in an attempt to deal with inclement weather. Not quite standard operating procedure … but it happens often enough when there's a snow/ice storm, I assume to try to avoid having 60 foot buses stuck in some noted problem spots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A number of trip/block cancellations today which I will list here:

3 Elbow Drive: 15:35-16:50

3 Centre St N: 15:26-16:26

8 Foothills Medical Centre/North Pointe Terminal: 15:10-16:51

9 Dalhousie Station/62 Hidden Valley Express: 15:21-18:11

14 Bridlewood: 15:42-17:42

23 52 St E/159 Saddlebrook: 14:14-15:56

34 Pineridge: 15:27-15:58

38 Whitehorn Station: 15:30-16:08

38 Brentwood Station/Temple/Whitehorn Station: 14:48-16:57

38 Whitehorn Station: 15:35-16:02

38 Brentwood Station/Whitehorn Station: 15:01-15:50

42 Marlborough/49 Forest Heights: 14:29-16:00

58 44 St E/Erin Woods/Marlborough: 15:20-15:54

82 Nolan Hill: 15:25-16:08

87 17 Ave SE: 15:23-15:53

113 North Ranchlands/Scenic Acres/Crowfoot Station: 15:10-17:29

167 Walden/Legacy: 15:00-17:25

178 Chapparal: 15:35-16:15

301 BRT City Centre/BRT North: 14:48-16:11

301 BRT City Centre: 15:35-16:15

MAX Orange Saddletowne: 15:08-16:13, 15:38-16:43

MAX Yellow City Centre: 15:23-16:06

 

NOTE: Some of these trips/blocks have continued to operate after being listed in the Transit55 cancelled trips list. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

Tsuut’ina Nation is starting talks to possibly have Calgary Transit extended onto its territory. 

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/tsuutina-nation-seeks-transit-service-to-its-new-taza-development

Now that I've thought of it some more: has there ever been talk of extending transit to the Grey Eagle event centre? Route 66 is right there …

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, downbeat said:

Now that I've thought of it some more: has there ever been talk of extending transit to the Grey Eagle event centre? Route 66 is right there …

Possibly, but nothing I’ve heard of….. then again, mind you, there’s extra layers of bureaucracy when it comes to putting transit service outside the city limits in this context, kind of similar to how the Chestermere MP was before it was made into reality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know why … but it took until today for it to occur to me that a restaurant on Centre Street makes a great perch for watching buses go by while having lunch. 

(On a weekend, that’s approximately 8 or 9 per hour. More like 15 on a weekday midday, I think?)

The vehicles coming southbound were quite well-used and a few of them were at standing room.  A little less busy going north for now.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

I don’t know why … but it took until today for it to occur to me that a restaurant on Centre Street makes a great perch for watching buses go by while having lunch. 

(On a weekend, that’s approximately 8 or 9 per hour. More like 15 on a weekday midday, I think?)

The vehicles coming southbound were quite well-used and a few of them were at standing room.  A little less busy going north for now.

You should try it in rush hour, with all the extras and expresses passing by.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to discount the good work of the Stuff-a-bus program, but the Transit employee who wrote this tweet must not use the bus regularly. 70 people in a 40-foot vehicle? More like 60-65 max, max, max, dangerously filled to the doors … and it gets uncomfortable around 50-55, IMHO.

To be fair, the spec sheet from New Flyer is even more unrealistic. The company says an XD40 can accommodate up to 83 people total.

https://www.newflyer.com/site-content/uploads/2021/01/NF-Xcelsior-Brochure.pdf

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Not to discount the good work of the Stuff-a-bus program, but the Transit employee who wrote this tweet must not use the bus regularly. 70 people in a 40-foot vehicle? More like 60-65 max, max, max, dangerously filled to the doors … and it gets uncomfortable around 50-55, IMHO.

To be fair, the spec sheet from New Flyer is even more unrealistic. The company says an XD40 can accommodate up to 83 people total.

https://www.newflyer.com/site-content/uploads/2021/01/NF-Xcelsior-Brochure.pdf

 

 

Add the bus registration says capacity is 52 persons 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

Well, I'm glad to see my perception of matches this number! :D 

Sorry to burst your bubble but I once did a high school run in a D40LF and had over ninety people on the bus. They were so packed in I had trouble opening the doors when I got to the school. I complained to control and pressed the button to film the interior, I even left students behind as I could not fit anymore on. When I got back to the garage I was called into dispatch to speak to control over the phone. I thought I was in trouble as control had said not to leave any students behind, but they only wanted a report. Seems this had been on ongoing issue but I was the first operator to notify control. Two days later there was a second bus on the run and I got a thank you.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, D40LF said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but I once did a high school run in a D40LF and had over ninety people on the bus. 

That's wild. 🤯 I'm glad they added another bus to the run. 

Your experience helps my point, though. Just because transit *can* pack 90+ people on a 40-footer, doesn't mean it *should*.

I've also been on an Arboc that had 50 people on board. While it was clearly physically possible, I can't say it was advisable or comfortable in any way. When we all unloaded, it was like a video of clowns leaving a clown car. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LRT said:

The most people I’ve ever moved at one time was 850 people… that was on a 4 car Series 9 during Stampede leaving City Hall outbound in 2019 though.. 🙃

I hope you weren't the operator who got a full train and then called in a bus full code as they passed through a station non-stop before control caught them :P

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

That's wild. 🤯 I'm glad they added another bus to the run. 

Your experience helps my point, though. Just because transit *can* pack 90+ people on a 40-footer, doesn't mean it *should*.

I've also been on an Arboc that had 50 people on board. While it was clearly physically possible, I can't say it was advisable or comfortable in any way. When we all unloaded, it was like a video of clowns leaving a clown car. 🤣

Definitely should not happen. I remember being told in training to not allow people to stand in front of the yellow line but in reality it happened all the time. Those people can block your view of the mirrors or the door when you pull into a stop. I hated having them standing next to me as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, D40LF said:

I hope you weren't the operator who got a full train and then called in a bus full code as they passed through a station non-stop before control caught them :P

Hell no! That was definitely a “rookie mistake”

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...