Calgary Transit

kevlo86

2 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

The user was mentioning oddities, such as previously decomissioned, convered and or unused traps. Whats odd about a bus trap that is used 7 days a week?

Sorry I guess misread 

19 hours ago, vicinity said:

The map in the article is interesting. It shows the location of the long gone Scenic Acres @ Nose hill Dr trap location. The map also shows the Varsity estates @ Sarcee TR trap, and lastly the never used Rockey ridge trap. 

It's kinda cut off on the map, but #9 on the map sorta lines up with the never used Strathcona Dr @ 58 Street SW trap as well.  The trap itself has been blocked off with planters for several years (possibly decades) although there is a section of the trap that could have been used for a gate that's been roped off.  I also remember there used to be a "Bus Corridor" sign at this location, although that was replaced about 5 years ago with an "Emergency Vehicles Only" sign.  Here's a picture of the trap when I visited it back in September 2020.

20200916_110211.jpg

There was discussion about using the Strathcona Dr and 58 St bus trap for the route 94(?) to serve Strathcona and Sirocco Station back in 2011 prior to West LRT opening. From what I remember the idea of using the bus trap was nixed due to opposition from the community. 

So I have a question for those in Calgary. I remember a few years ago when they brought in the Max routes and modified some other bus routes, I was told that this was a part of a longer term plan to basically make the system better. There were going to be a lot more route changes, more express routes, better frequencies, some routes would be modified to allow the routes to be a little more direct, and by that I mean routes that don't loop through as many areas so it takes less time to operate from end to end, allowing the frequency to improve without adding buses. 

I know the pandemic most likely delayed plans but now that things are getting better, will we start seeing big changes anytime soon? I know there are some routes that have terrible route frequencies especially on weekends and the changes were meant to address things like that without adding a lot of additional buses to the routes. 

Noticed On Demand trip planning and mobile fare payments are now available in Transit App.

Screenshot_20220816-122000.thumb.jpg.83e445f10a4624a2ddf7a7be80112d84.jpg Screenshot_20220816-124956.thumb.jpg.602fa7bd7ecf85e8c99e2f733d1a3084.jpg

Does leave me wondering why they're running a gigantic ad campaign right now for the standalone MyFare app, though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1604 said:

Noticed On Demand trip planning and mobile fare payments are now available in Transit App.

Does leave me wondering why they're running a gigantic ad campaign right now for the standalone MyFare app, though.

Having called up the ticket interface, I notice you can only buy single tickets and day passes/airport passes, for adult and youth. There are no monthly passes or other special fares, so I'm going to guess in-app payment is possibly more geared toward occasional users and visitors.

• Like 1

I was honestly expecting more service to be restored from pre-pandemic. I know there are soooo many factors that affect service restoration (ridership, funding, drivers, etc.) but with AG reopening and universities returning to in-person classes, I was expecting more from this signup. Many feeder routes are still operating at 30 minute headways in the AM/PM rush hours compared to 15 minute frequencies they were used to pre-pandemic.

At least CT is allocating available resources to mainline routes like the 201/202 and 23/301/303. However, I think it's time to increase frequency on the feeders. Also, 15 minute train frequency between 9am and 2pm during the week is kind of pathetic.

I'm also taken back by the fact that the MY is still at 20 minute frequency during AM/PM peaks. The route was heavily advertised to offer 10 minute frequencies in the AM/PM peaks. With MRU going back to in-person and more people back to downtown, I thought the MY would get more buses. Maybe next signup :)

• Like 5

There’s also a “wish list” that transit has for the coming winter sign up however it hinges on available funding and manpower.

weekdays 

route 1 peak frequency to every 15 minutes 

route 2 midday increased from 28 minutes to 20 minutes 

route 4,5 midday increased from 27 minutes to 20 minutes 

route 6 rush hour frequency 12-15 minutes 

route 7 rush hour frequency 10-12 minutes 

route 8 peak frequency to every 12 minutes 

route 9 peak frequency to every 10 minutes 

route 10 rush hour and midday increased to every 30 minutes 

route 11,12 rush hour increased to every 15 minutes 

route 13 rush hour increased to every 15 minutes 

route 14 rush hour increased to 7/8 minutes and midday increased to every 23 minutes 

route 20 rush hour increased to every 12 minutes and midday 21 minutes 

route 22 peak frequency to every 15 minutes 

route 24 rush hour increased to every 15 minutes 

route 30 rush hour increased to every 15 minutes 

route 32/46 rush hour increased to every 15 minutes 

route 34 weekdays extend service until 20:00

route 35 peak frequency increased to every 30 minutes 

route 37 increase rush hour frequency to every 10 minutes 

route 38 increase rush hour frequency to 12-14 minutes 

route 48 rush hour frequency increased to 13 minutes 

route 42/49 increase peak frequency to 15 minutes 

route 53 increase peak frequency to 20 minutes 

route 58 increase peak frequency to 20 minutes 

route 59/85 increase peak frequency to 18 minutes and midday to 25 minutes extending service until 24:00

route 60/61 rush hour frequency to 17 minutes 

route 67/87 peak frequency to every 20 minutes 

route 76/105 peak frequency to every 20 minutes 

route 100 rush hour frequency to every 23 minutes 

route 115 peak frequency to every 25 minutes 

route 119 midday service every 50 minutes both directions 

route 123/124 peak frequency to every 18 minutes 

route 125/126 peak frequency to every 15 minutes 

route 128 midday service every 32 minutes 

route 129 peak frequency every 20 minutes 

route 138 peak frequency to every 15 minutes 

route 145 peak frequency to every 7/8 minutes midday to every 17 minutes 

route 300 peak frequency every 26/27minutes 

route 302 peak frequency to every 12 minutes 

route 304 peak frequency to every 12 minutes 

route 421 peak frequency to every 15 minutes 

weekend 

route 3 midday frequency 16 minutes 

route 32 evening service extended to 23:30 on sat /sun 

route 23 midday to every 22 minutes 

route 42/49 midday frequency every 20 minutes until 21:00

route 48 midday to every 20 minutes 

route 128 midday and evening till 20:00 every 32 minutes 

route 129 midday increased to every 30 minutes 

route 301 midday increase to 14 minutes 

like I said this is a wish list so please curb expectations :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vicinity said:

There’s also a “wish list” that transit has for the coming winter sign up however it hinges on available funding and manpower.

weekdays 

route 1 peak frequency to every 15 minutes 

route 2 midday increased from 28 minutes to 20 minutes 

route 4,5 midday increased from 27 minutes to 20 minutes 

route 6 rush hour frequency 12-15 minutes 

route 7 rush hour frequency 10-12 minutes 

route 8 peak frequency to every 12 minutes 

route 9 peak frequency to every 10 minutes 

route 10 rush hour and midday increased to every 30 minutes 

route 11,12 rush hour increased to every 15 minutes 

route 13 rush hour increased to every 15 minutes 

route 14 rush hour increased to 7/8 minutes and midday increased to every 23 minutes 

route 20 rush hour increased to every 12 minutes and midday 21 minutes 

route 22 peak frequency to every 15 minutes 

route 24 rush hour increased to every 15 minutes 

route 30 rush hour increased to every 15 minutes 

route 32/46 rush hour increased to every 15 minutes 

route 34 weekdays extend service until 20:00

route 35 peak frequency increased to every 30 minutes 

route 37 increase rush hour frequency to every 10 minutes 

route 38 increase rush hour frequency to 12-14 minutes 

route 48 rush hour frequency increased to 13 minutes 

route 42/49 increase peak frequency to 15 minutes 

route 53 increase peak frequency to 20 minutes 

route 58 increase peak frequency to 20 minutes 

route 59/85 increase peak frequency to 18 minutes and midday to 25 minutes extending service until 24:00

route 60/61 rush hour frequency to 17 minutes 

route 67/87 peak frequency to every 20 minutes 

route 76/105 peak frequency to every 20 minutes 

route 100 rush hour frequency to every 23 minutes 

route 115 peak frequency to every 25 minutes 

route 119 midday service every 50 minutes both directions 

route 123/124 peak frequency to every 18 minutes 

route 125/126 peak frequency to every 15 minutes 

route 128 midday service every 32 minutes 

route 129 peak frequency every 20 minutes 

route 138 peak frequency to every 15 minutes 

route 145 peak frequency to every 7/8 minutes midday to every 17 minutes 

route 300 peak frequency every 26/27minutes 

route 302 peak frequency to every 12 minutes 

route 304 peak frequency to every 12 minutes 

route 421 peak frequency to every 15 minutes 

weekend 

route 3 midday frequency 16 minutes 

route 32 evening service extended to 23:30 on sat /sun 

route 23 midday to every 22 minutes 

route 42/49 midday frequency every 20 minutes until 21:00

route 48 midday to every 20 minutes 

route 128 midday and evening till 20:00 every 32 minutes 

route 129 midday increased to every 30 minutes 

route 301 midday increase to 14 minutes 

like I said this is a wish list so please curb expectations :D

There's some stuff there that should've happened several signups (some, several years) ago, such as the 32, 119, and 128 increases

5 hours ago, yvarushin said:

I was honestly expecting more service to be restored from pre-pandemic. I know there are soooo many factors that affect service restoration (ridership, funding, drivers, etc.)

Manpower appears to be the main reason at this point. Fleet, Ridership and funding appear to be secondary.

A number of the changes on the winter wish list were approved for the fall. However, due to lack of fleet and lack of manpower, they were retracted before signup perusal with the union, with manpower being cited as one of the main reasons, with a hope to be able to add service come the winter.

Anderson is only using about 60 buses a day…so no where near what they used pre pandemic. But so many buses have been pulled from Anderson for VP and SG over the last several months. I am quite impressed that they actually got 60. The decision was made to run all trains with 3 car trains, more frequently, the 4 car trains less frequent or something in between.

Ridership is increasing. The Hope with August in September was build it and they come with the discounted passes but if they come, they may infact overwhelm the system because of above.

City Council at this point is pretty centrist. I don’t see any major risk to transit funding from them. Next year provincial election will be a telling tale for transit funding. The federal government tends to do a lot of capital funding as opposed to operational funding.

• Like 2

The city keeps encouraging people to use transit on weekends for non-work/non-school activities, so I hope there will be some modest service improvements on weekends during the midday on busy bus routes, or busy sections of routes.

I see some on the "wish list" from @vicinity, particularly Routes 3 and 301, which are already quite busy whenever I get to see them on Saturday and Sunday midday. I'm also thinking both CTrain routes, the west side of Route 1 and the Edmonton Trail portion of Routes 4/5.

Question for @Gsgeek540 or anyone else who might know: What's behind the CTrain car shortage? (I assume there is in fact a shortage.) Is it the refurb program or is something else the matter?

10 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Question for @Gsgeek540 or anyone else who might know: What's behind the CTrain car shortage? (I assume there is in fact a shortage.) Is it the refurb program or is something else the matter?

The series 10 order being cancelled/deferred indefinately.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DB 1999 said:

No it's not I checked.

That's very odd — I definitely see new schedules on the Transit website. 

I was just able to manually look up the departures for Red Line southbound on Sept. 7, for example, and it shows service frequencies as low as 4 minutes during the AM peak.

Similarly, on the same day, I can see MAX Orange midday departures are every 21 minutes. (Screenshot attached!)

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.38.05.png

P.S. Did you happen to pick Monday, Sept. 5? If so, that's Labour Day, so you'd have seen Sunday service.

There are a couple of odd, probably incorrect entries in Calgary Transit's official list of service adjustments, published here:

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/fall-service-changes-2022.html

Route 9 - Dalhousie/ Chinook: Weekday northbound trips from Northland Drive @ 52 Avenue N.E. have been added at 1:09 p.m. and 3:20 p.m.
Should be N.W.

Route 35 - Bonavista / Canyon Meadows: Weekday mid-day service has been adjusted to every 20 minutes.
Schedules don't reflect this.

Route 119 - Freeport: Weekend westbound schedule times have been adjusted to improve schedule adherence. 
This route doesn't appear to have weekend service.

Separately from all that, Route 101 has a new timepoint WB on 9 Avenue S.E. by Fort Calgary. The list of changes also shows Routes 302 and 307 "may" stop there to keep schedule. Interestingly, this note doesn't appear for Route 1.

9 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Separately from all that, Route 101 has a new timepoint WB on 9 Avenue S.E. by Fort Calgary. The list of changes also shows Routes 302 and 307 "may" stop there to keep schedule. Interestingly, this note doesn't appear for Route 1.

I think their use of "may" in this context is just their way of saying only if the bus needs to kill some time.

For Route 1, Transit55 has the Fort Calgary stop listed as a time point (bolded text) in the new schedule. I think the westbound trip hasn't had a time point there for a while now. Not sure if that was just an oversight but it's unusual to see a trip go from end of line all the way downtown without a single time point on any route.

Not gonna lie, that is such a poor place for a time point from a customer experience perspective. You're literally two stops away from downtown but end off having to waste a few minutes because the bus is running early. Especially with the crazy timing of the transitway signals for the 1 and Purple, you could get lucky and breeze past all the lights with minimal wait but it all goes to waste since the schedule accounts for the worst case signal timing and now you're way ahead of schedule. In this example, it doesn't even make much sense for the Route 1 since you'd be going through all of Inglewood ahead of schedule only to kill time after you've past all the stops.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Transit Fan said:

Not gonna lie, that is such a poor place for a time point from a customer experience perspective. You're literally two stops away from downtown but end off having to waste a few minutes because the bus is running early. Especially with the crazy timing of the transitway signals for the 1 and Purple, you could get lucky and breeze past all the lights with minimal wait but it all goes to waste since the schedule accounts for the worst case signal timing and now you're way ahead of schedule. In this example, it doesn't even make much sense for the Route 1 since you'd be going through all of Inglewood ahead of schedule only to kill time after you've past all the stops.

Agreed 100%. Bad enough that most routes in this city are already given way too much time in their schedule (compared to systems in other major cities in Canada), CT's notoriously horrendous placement of time points doesn't help either. If anything, all point-to-point routes should only have time points at the beginning and end points. Not mid route (major destinations exempt i.e. stations) and certainly not when you're just about already in downtown but "not quite yet". Riding these routes is going to be infuriating.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Transit Fan said:

Not gonna lie, that is such a poor place for a time point from a customer experience perspective. You're literally two stops away from downtown but end off having to waste a few minutes because the bus is running early.

Yes, maybe near the old brewery in Inglewood might be better?

Regardless, going westbound, there’s so much padding for Route 1. More than once over the last few years, I’ve experienced the bus arriving way too early at 5 Ave x 2 St SW during midday and PM rush, and we’d hang out there for 10+ minutes. 

Customers’ time has value, too. 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Nick B said:

If anything, all routes should only have time points at the beginning and end points (or in the case of loop routes, the first stop in the loop). Not mid route (major destinations exempt) and certainly not when you're just about already in downtown but "not quite yet".

At a bare minimum, BRT and MAX routes should not have mid-route time points. Time points really bite into the “rapid” component of bus rapid transit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, downbeat said:

At a bare minimum, BRT and MAX routes should not have mid-route time points. Time points really bite into the “rapid” component of bus rapid transit. 

As great as this sounds, there are still valid reasons for time points to be put in place.

If we take the Max Orange for example, there's tons of traffic lights along 16th Ave and traffic volume can get very heavy. But then there might be days where things are quieter and buses can zip along at a good pace. If I was travelling eastbound and boarding at Brentwood or maybe one of the hospitals, there probably wouldn't be an issue. If I was getting on at Centre St or maybe Rundle station, and it's one of those quiet days, there's a good chance the bus is going to be super early arriving at those stops.

That said, they could definitely get aggressive with some of the scheduling and move the extra layover time to the end of the routes. However, there is the downside that if someone is boarding near the tail end of a route, with a super aggressive schedule, there's a good chance the bus will always appear to be running "late" even though it could have 10-20 minutes to kill at the terminus before starting its return trip.

Timepoints restored in the area of Fort Calgary are as a result of the construction of the Inglewood bridge being complete, and the relief point outside of Fort Calgary being restored monday to friday, which eliminates the need of having to pay travel time to operators given the proximity to downtown.

In addition, given the lack of time points along route, there have been several complaints of running upwards of 10 minutes early in between time points, specifically in Inglewood, WB 9x6, NB 3x7 and WB 6xMac. The rule of thumb, although not official and enforceable, is to not run more then 5 minutes early between time points, as customers are asked to get to non time point stops atleast 5 minutes early.

If operators do their jobs the way they are trained, operating their vehicle using timed approached driving, the impact to the customer will be very minimal.

Driving a bus is not a race, regardless of the route, is moving people, maximize passenger loads and stick to the schedule. If buses are getting from east hills to penbrooke or brentwood to saddletowne on time, and achieving the factors above, what is there to complain about?