Calgary Transit

kevlo86

2 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

The user was mentioning oddities, such as previously decomissioned, convered and or unused traps. Whats odd about a bus trap that is used 7 days a week?

Sorry I guess misread 

19 hours ago, vicinity said:

The map in the article is interesting. It shows the location of the long gone Scenic Acres @ Nose hill Dr trap location. The map also shows the Varsity estates @ Sarcee TR trap, and lastly the never used Rockey ridge trap. 

It's kinda cut off on the map, but #9 on the map sorta lines up with the never used Strathcona Dr @ 58 Street SW trap as well.  The trap itself has been blocked off with planters for several years (possibly decades) although there is a section of the trap that could have been used for a gate that's been roped off.  I also remember there used to be a "Bus Corridor" sign at this location, although that was replaced about 5 years ago with an "Emergency Vehicles Only" sign.  Here's a picture of the trap when I visited it back in September 2020.

20200916_110211.jpg

There was discussion about using the Strathcona Dr and 58 St bus trap for the route 94(?) to serve Strathcona and Sirocco Station back in 2011 prior to West LRT opening. From what I remember the idea of using the bus trap was nixed due to opposition from the community. 

So I have a question for those in Calgary. I remember a few years ago when they brought in the Max routes and modified some other bus routes, I was told that this was a part of a longer term plan to basically make the system better. There were going to be a lot more route changes, more express routes, better frequencies, some routes would be modified to allow the routes to be a little more direct, and by that I mean routes that don't loop through as many areas so it takes less time to operate from end to end, allowing the frequency to improve without adding buses. 

I know the pandemic most likely delayed plans but now that things are getting better, will we start seeing big changes anytime soon? I know there are some routes that have terrible route frequencies especially on weekends and the changes were meant to address things like that without adding a lot of additional buses to the routes. 

5 hours ago, 1604 said:

Noticed On Demand trip planning and mobile fare payments are now available in Transit App.

Does leave me wondering why they're running a gigantic ad campaign right now for the standalone MyFare app, though.

Having called up the ticket interface, I notice you can only buy single tickets and day passes/airport passes, for adult and youth. There are no monthly passes or other special fares, so I'm going to guess in-app payment is possibly more geared toward occasional users and visitors.

• Like 1