Calgary Transit

kevlo86

1 hour ago, ProfessorWho said:

The list of Summer Service Changes are up on Calgary Transit’s website but the actual schedules aren’t available for now

Cool! @Gsgeek540 gave us a preview in early May here …

…  with a further update from @vicinity here:

The information appears to have changed slightly since then.

45 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Indeed, you beat me to it @vicinity! I was just giving the list a quick look and a few items have me scratching my head.

Not un common when a bunch of information switches departments to have something lost in translation

• Like 1

Route 43 - McKnight - Westwinds Station/Chinook Station

[…] Two weekend trips have been added leaving Marlborough to McKnight Station at 5:00 p.m. and 5:44 p.m.

I can't remember the last time there've been weekend extras on a regular schedule!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 4:10 PM, downbeat said:

Cool! @Gsgeek540 gave us a preview in early May here …

…  with a further update from @vicinity here:

The information appears to have changed slightly since then.

I can confirm that the route 7 will operate on a 20 minute headway from 06:30-19:15 Monday to Friday.

Route 153 will operator every 25 minutes from 09:05-16:01 Monday to Friday 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, vicinity said:

I can confirm that the route 7 will operate on a 20 minute headway from 06:30-19:15 Monday to Friday.

Route 153 will operator every 25 minutes from 09:05-16:01 Monday to Friday 

It looks like they’ve made some corrections on the Transit website too!

• Like 1

It appears the summer schedules have been loaded onto the Calgary Transit website.

From a quick glance, Sunday service is offered on Canada Day, which is a Friday. Of note, this means no 12:20 a.m. departures on routes from downtown to accommodate what is sure to be the first "normal" national holiday since you-know-what.

I also see extended service span for some routes during Stampede and pre-parade extras, also on select routes, during the morning rush on Friday,  July 8. Route 504 is also back (Centre Street North express to Stampede) but I haven't yet found the Inglewood shuttle service that typically operates on parade day. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Question about a message in a different thread but more suited to be asked here:

What accounts for the larger commitment of big buses on weekends? Is it additional service, routes switching to big buses from shuttles, or a mix of both?

And incidentally, key/block information for the new schedule is now visible on Transit55 … and one of the new weekend big bus commitments is Route 23, which will require five vehicles on weekends to cover the newly extended route with a 28-29 minute headway.

"Two weekend trips have been added leaving Marlborough to McKnight Station at 5:00 p.m. and 5:44 p.m."

Schedules on the Calgary Transit website doesn't show these extra departures and there is no block data on Transit55 showing these trips, either. 

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

What accounts for the larger commitment of big buses on weekends? Is it additional service, routes switching to big buses from shuttles, or a mix of both?

There is a negociated percentage in the collective agreement, a minimum percentage of work that has to be assigned to big buses during the work week. With the elimination of school runs, there will be alot more big buses on all day runs that may normally be shuttle, late night runs that may normally be shuttle and some weekend runs that be normally be shuttle. There are some modest service increases this signup.

• Thanks 2

Sorry for this rant, but I just had the most frustrating experience calling customer service tonight. I was wanting to make someone aware their new webpage about Stampede service has a couple of errors and also leaves out some information.

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/stampede-101.html

Buses on detour during the Stampede Parade:
During the Stampede parade many of our routes that travel downtown will be on detour: Route 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 13, 17, 18, 24, 63, 62, 64, 69, 70, 75, 102, 103, 107, 109, 110, 112, 116, 117, 125, 126, 133,  142, 151, 300, 301, 302, 305, 411, 412 & 419.

This list is clearly from before the 2018 network redesign. About good number of routes listed there have either been deleted or have had their numbers reassigned to routes that don't go anywhere near downtown.

Walk – From the end of the parade route on 9 Avenue and 4 Street SE, it is only a 10-15 minute walk to the main gates.

The Calgary Stampede parade reversed its route starting in 2017. The location listed there is now near the start of the parade, not the end, so the walk from the actual end of the parade route to Stampede Park is at least an extra 5 minutes or perhaps a little more.

It also links to a PDF map showing a shuttle bus between City Hall and Stampede Park that I don't think is running. If it is running, no one has said anything about.

Now, some omissions. They make a big deal about the CTrain running 24 hours a day but there's not a word about extra bus service. Transit's own schedules online and on the Transit App show extended bus service until 1:20 a.m. on Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 22, 301, 302 and 304. The person who took my call tried to tell me extended Stampede bus service had been eliminated due to budget cuts. (Yeah right!!!!!)

I didn't get into this piece of minutiae with customer service, but there is a display quirk about Route 22's extended service. It is only shown as being offered on weekends on the schedules at Calgary Transit's website. Same in the block explorer on Transit55. On the Transit App, it shows a couple of extra departures on weeknights but with service not extending as late as 1:20 a.m. but things look fine on weekends on the app too. (I seem to recall commenting here about something like this happening in at least one previous year.)

I also didn't mention this: there is a map and a frequency chart for the new Stampede Express Route 507 to the southeast. It asks riders to see the schedules on the website for exact departure times but there are still nothing visible. This information is also missing from Transit App. However, you can look up Route 504 as of today and see the schedules.

The person who took my call INSISTED everything on their "Stampede 101" page was correct and for sure, a lot of it is. But some of it really isn't. In the end, I pleaded with them to ask someone, anyone, to take another look at the information there and get things corrected. They said they would notify bus control (doesn't seem like the right resource for escalation, but what do I know!) … please forgive me if I don't feel confident they will actually pass my message along.

If any of the Calgary Transit insiders on this forum could kindly help make your website content people aware of the mistakes and omissions I've listed here, that would be awesome.

(For posterity and in case anyone doubts what I've seen, I have attached an image of the current "Stampede 101" page.)

Stampede 101.pdf

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Sorry for this rant, but I just had the most frustrating experience calling customer service tonight. I was wanting to make someone aware their new webpage about Stampede service has a couple of errors and also leaves out some information.

Good luck, I hope it gets sorted out.  Customer Service everywhere is not nearly as good as it used to be.  So easy to reinstate past detours and service levels with a single click. Nobody notices, nobody cares to check if everything still applies 'today'.  Everyone smiles and nods, everyone is pleased, nobody seems to care about errors and omissions.  Many people in customer service seem to think that the average caller is just an old dumb Joe and knows nothing of what they are talking about. (It's not difficult to discern between an average dumb Joe and someone that knows their business) It's really a dead end calling customer service. And nowadays there are no other phone numbers available to the public, one has to go through 3-1-1 or whatever.

• Like 3

Update on my post from late last week: The list of buses affected by detours on Stampede Parade day has been fixed on the Transit website. At least that.

They have also included links to PDFs showing the detours, which is handy. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

P.S. is it just me, or is it a risk to send buses across the level crossing at 11 Street SW near the Staples store? I’d hate to be stuck there while waiting for a freight train to cross …

Hasn’t been a bigger problem then traffic with 2 major avenues close and 200+ thousand people downtown in the last 50+ years (-the last 2). Not sure why it would be a problem this year all of a sudden.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Hasn’t been a bigger problem then traffic with 2 major avenues close and 200+ thousand people downtown in the last 50+ years (-the last 2). Not sure why it would be a problem this year all of a sudden.

Whoops, I think I misremembered where the detour is/used to be. I had 14 Street SW in my brain for some reason but that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, now that I think of it some more.

Cheers!