Calgary Transit

kevlo86

"To ensure our revenues keep pace with city growth"

So are they planning to start some route expansions? Maybe even a BRT down Sarcee, so i don't have to spend 3-4 hours a day on transit to Westhills & back, when its not even a 15 minute car ride from there to Crowfoot...?

Big $$$ idea there, too: MAX BRT, from Crowfoot to Anderson, via Sarcee, Westhills & Tsuu Tina. Line it up with COP/Three Hills too & that would actually work out really well, using the new western Stoney section. Speed up transit considerably. 

8 hours ago, armorand said:

"To ensure our revenues keep pace with city growth"

So are they planning to start some route expansions? Maybe even a BRT down Sarcee, so i don't have to spend 3-4 hours a day on transit to Westhills & back, when its not even a 15 minute car ride from there to Crowfoot...?

Big $$$ idea there, too: MAX BRT, from Crowfoot to Anderson, via Sarcee, Westhills & Tsuu Tina. Line it up with COP/Three Hills too & that would actually work out really well, using the new western Stoney section. Speed up transit considerably. 

I’d hope they’re expanding something because their running below pandemic level service yet their costs have gone up. Not to mention I’ve seen some very upset people over the increase vs level of service they get and I can’t say I disagree because the level of service isn’t at its best.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, BC_YYC said:

I’d hope they’re expanding something because their running below pandemic level service yet their costs have gone up. Not to mention I’ve seen some very upset people over the increase vs level of service they get and I can’t say I disagree because the level of service isn’t at its best.

I was on a 301 last weekend that had at least 45 people on board. The frequencies are not there, and now we have to pay more for it? I understand the economics of inflation requiring fare increases but many of the average folk don't, all they see is paying more for the same or worse service

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blake M said:

I was on a 301 last weekend that had at least 45 people on board. The frequencies are not there, and now we have to pay more for it? I understand the economics of inflation requiring fare increases but many of the average folk don't, all they see is paying more for the same or worse service

The frequencies are nowhere to be seen across the entire system at this time, and I can see the frustration behind many folks who share the same concerns as I have. We have weekend service that is borderline atrocious, and an example of that is full standing loads on the 301 going into downtown every weekend in the middle of the day, and artificially full trains because of the lousy 15/16 minute frequency on the red and blue lines respectively.

On the weekdays side of things, the extras on the 3 for example are borderline ineffective with when they start and end for rush hour, and virtually every time I see them go by the vast majority of those extras run with few passengers on them except the last extras that leave around the time where things do get busy (approximately 3:30PM or so). Add that with the fact that express ridership has mostly been decimated (except the 116, 117, 151, and to a lesser extent the 64) while continuing to run them just raises more questions on where resources should be distributed currently.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, R. Meu said:

The frequencies are nowhere to be seen across the entire system at this time, and I can see the frustration behind many folks who share the same concerns as I have. We have weekend service that is borderline atrocious, with full standing loads on the 301 going into downtown every weekend in the middle of the day, and artificially full trains because of the lousy 15/16 minute frequency on the red and blue lines respectively.

On the weekdays side, the extras on the 3 for example are borderline ineffective with when they start and end for rush hour, and every time I see them go by the vast majority of those extras run with few passengers on them except the last extras  that leave around the time where things do get busy. Add that with the fact that express ridership has been decimated (except the 116, 117, 151, and to a lesser extent the 64) while running them just raises more questions on where resources should be distributed currently.

I'm wondering if the trains are gonna go to four cars on weekdays too, that would at least balance out the loss of frequency

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, R. Meu said:

The frequencies are nowhere to be seen across the entire system at this time, and I can see the frustration behind many folks who share the same concerns as I have. We have weekend service that is borderline atrocious, with full standing loads on the 301 going into downtown every weekend in the middle of the day, and artificially full trains because of the lousy 15/16 minute frequency on the red and blue lines respectively.

Also to add... with the lousy frequencies (esspecially in suburban areas where generally more households have cars) you're really not going to encourage those people to use transit.  In fact, it normally has the opposite effect.  The 98 continues to have this issue during rush hour on school days.  With the wait time in between buses essentially doubled compared to pre COVID rush hour, and most buses being quite packed, I basically said fuck it, and ended up driving to school most days during my grade 12 year.  I think CT needs to do some serious work to determine which trips (or routes) should be cut and where service should be added to fix the general overloading issues.  This is getting quite infuriating now.

New service will be nice, but the main priority right now should be to fix the blatant issues with transit service as it is right now.

• Like 4

If I may act as a devil's advocate on a couple of items:

• At 10 cents/ticket or $3/month for adult full fare, the increases are extremely modest — although I agree the idea of paying more for same or inferior service is irritating.
  • Remember there are issues such as wages and benefits, where costs likely go up year to year even with no increase in service.
  • We are not guaranteed seats on buses and trains. I mean, Calgary's S200 LRVs have an interior layout meant to make more room for people to stand (compared with previous generations, anyway). It is completely normal for people to have to stand, sometimes. As for buses, having standees during weekend middays on the 301, for example, might be what ends up paying for the decent frequencies during the early-morning and late-night hours on Saturdays and Sundays. However, if the buses are so full they can't pick up passengers, that would be a problem they'd need to fix, pronto.

On a related note, why did Transit stop running articulated buses on weekends? Is it simply a practical matter because they're stored at VP or Stoney and those garages are usually closed on Saturday/Sunday? Or is it they don't have enough drivers who are able to operate them? Converting busy routes like the 301/3 and 307/1 to articulated buses would increase capacity without needing buses to come more often.

All that being said, you are correct in pointing out Transit might be having trouble assigning its resources to the right places. They keep saying they are running 85% of pre-pandemic service but with less than half the ridership. The routes I use most frequently are seemingly quite busy (and have been so for the past year) so something isn't lining up properly there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

On a related note, why did Transit stop running articulated buses on weekends? Is it simply a practical matter because they're stored at VP or Stoney and those garages are usually closed on Saturday/Sunday? Or is it they don't have enough drivers who are able to operate them? Converting busy routes like the 301/3 and 307/1 to articulated buses would increase capacity without needing buses to come more often.

I'll chime in on this the Articulated busses are stored at VP and stoney which I think is the main reason they aren't out on weekends. I believe they still have enough drivers to operate even a couple of them on the weekends (from what I've heard from operators)

2 hours ago, downbeat said:
  • At 10 cents/ticket or $3/month for adult full fare, the increases are extremely modest — although I agree the idea of paying more for same or inferior service is irritating.

I do agree it is a modest change but it is an increase with no change to improve their service, I also believe that some people are concerned they are raising fare while there are many security concerns especially on the Trains & Northeast Train Stations that are rarely addressed by transit in a timely manner. 

11 hours ago, BC_YYC said:

I'll chime in on this the Articulated busses are stored at VP and stoney which I think is the main reason they aren't out on weekends. I believe they still have enough drivers to operate even a couple of them on the weekends (from what I've heard from operators) 

It isn’t just operators that you have to worry about having though. You need a dispatcher. You need mechanics, foremen, techs (for change offs), service lane staff, fleet attendants, etc. Before Spring Gardens was 24 hours, they used to run a skeleton service out of their on Sundays because they didnt have enough buses at Victoria Park to meet commitment. You have to remember too that on weekends, its generally the same bus from start of service to end of service on probably 90-95% of blocks of work, where as during the week it may be 50% and buses that come out for PM rush stay out all night. Even this current sign up I believe there’s only a handful of articulated buses that are out past 20:00, as most route have 40 footers take them over from rush hour blocks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

It isn’t just operators that you have to worry about having though. You need a dispatcher. You need mechanics, foremen, techs (for change offs), service lane staff, fleet attendants, etc. Before Spring Gardens was 24 hours, they used to run a skeleton service out of their on Sundays because they didnt have enough buses at Victoria Park to meet commitment. You have to remember too that on weekends, its generally the same bus from start of service to end of service on probably 90-95% of blocks of work, where as during the week it may be 50% and buses that come out for PM rush stay out all night. Even this current sign up I believe there’s only a handful of articulated buses that are out past 20:00, as most route have 40 footers take them over from rush hour blocks.

Thanks for the information. That does clear it up very much. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Before Spring Gardens was 24 hours, they used to run a skeleton service out of their on Sundays because they didnt have enough buses at Victoria Park to meet commitment. 

How feasible would it be to have some artics driven to SG instead of VP for the night on Friday, and then have someone ferry the drivers back to VP on a bus? This way, there would be a limited number of 60-footers available for weekend work. Then on Monday morning, VP drivers could be delivered to SG to pick up their bus?

10 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

You have to remember too that on weekends, its generally the same bus from start of service to end of service on probably 90-95% of blocks of work, where as during the week it may be 50% and buses that come out for PM rush stay out all night.

Just because something isn't done regularly now doesn't mean it's impossible, does it?

22 hours ago, BC_YYC said:

[…] I also believe that some people are concerned they are raising fare while there are many security concerns especially on the Trains & Northeast Train Stations that are rarely addressed by transit in a timely manner. 

Yes, there are some security issues all over the system. That said, it is hardly fair to expect Calgary Transit to solve the province's opioid/addictions/homelessness problem all by itself. That's what it will take to sort out much of the cause of those problems.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, downbeat said:

How feasible would it be to have some artics driven to SG instead of VP for the night on Friday, and then have someone ferry the drivers back to VP on a bus? This way, there would be a limited number of 60-footers available for weekend work. Then on Monday morning, VP drivers could be delivered to SG to pick up their bus?

Just because something isn't done regularly now doesn't mean it's impossible, does it?

Think of the additional costs of that. Having operators sitting around, on the clock, waiting to be ferried from one facility to another. Transit has taken aggressive steps to increase platform time (time where operators are actually being paid for being in service and moving people) to prevent frivolous costs like this and do ensure resources are being used towards service. Transit is already losing money and there is a very unpopular fare increase happening at the beginning of the year. As a tax payer, this would enrage me.

The block structure on weekends is one of those things that helps transit save money. Having as few buses as possible have to deadhead, empty, not making money, not moving people, throughout the day. The way the current structure is on weekends, 90-95% of buses run day to night and deadhead twice. Think of replacing a bus twice or 3 times in a day to various vehicle sizes. Now you are deadheading a bus, upwards of 45 minutes, 6-8 times a day. 

Just because people can't get a seat on a bus doesn't mean its a full bus. Just because a bus is busy one trip doesn't mean it's busy the entire day and requires a bigger bus the entire day. APC data is reviewed regularly and manual count cards continue to be done on a regular basis.

7 minutes ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Think of the additional costs of that. Having operators sitting around, on the clock, waiting to be ferried from one facility to another. Transit has taken aggressive steps to increase platform time (time where operators are actually being paid for being in service and moving people) to prevent frivolous costs like this and do ensure resources are being used towards service. Transit is already losing money and there is a very unpopular fare increase happening at the beginning of the year. As a tax payer, this would enrage me. Not to mention that Spring Gardens does not have the physical capabilities to maintain articulated buses. So if a bus has a mechanical issue at Spring Gardens, it would have to be towed to Victoria Park Garage or Stoney Transit Facility to get repaired. If a bus has a mechanical issue on the road, on the weekend, it would have to be towed to Spring Gardens (the only open facility on weekends) then towed again to Stoney Transit Facility or Victoria Park Garage during the week. Money that could go towards service.

The block structure on weekends is one of those things that helps transit save money. Having as few buses as possible have to deadhead, empty, not making money, not moving people, throughout the day. The way the current structure is on weekends, 90-95% of buses run day to night and deadhead twice. Think of replacing a bus twice or 3 times in a day to various vehicle sizes. Now you are deadheading a bus, upwards of 45 minutes, 6-8 times a day. 

Just because people can't get a seat on a bus doesn't mean its a full bus. Just because a bus is busy one trip doesn't mean it's busy the entire day and requires a bigger bus the entire day. APC data is reviewed regularly and manual count cards continue to be done on a regular basis.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It was mentioned elsewhere on this forum that the street closures due to glass falling from Brookfield Place were resolved. However, the stop closure alerts still exist in the app and as late as yesterday, CT social media teams were still directing people to alternative stops. Just a heads up if anyone is going that way …

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose this is hardly surprising … but there are MANY bus cancellations today.

https://transit55.ca/calgary/cancelledtrips

On Twitter, a transit CSR responded to a rider query confirming a number of buses won't be hitting the street today due to COVID/Omicron.

The result is some rather long waits at times — bad news for riders who aren't checking apps/transit site before heading out. That said, a heads up would have been nice.

Randomly looking at some schedules, it appears Route 6 will be particularly hard-hit tonight, assuming there is no solution found before then. For now, the schedule shows the route running hourly at times from about 7 p.m.

Express/rush-hour riders especially should check their apps. Route 62, for example, will have two of its three p.m. departures cancelled. Only the 4:40 bus remains — the second of three trips.

21 hours ago, downbeat said:

Randomly looking at some schedules, it appears Route 6 will be particularly hard-hit tonight, assuming there is no solution found before then. For now, the schedule shows the route running hourly at times from about 7 p.m.

Express/rush-hour riders especially should check their apps. Route 62, for example, will have two of its three p.m. departures cancelled. Only the 4:40 bus remains — the second of three trips.

And along with the safety issues on the trains & in the stations, exactly how will this all boost ridership...? 

28 minutes ago, armorand said:

And along with the safety issues on the trains & in the stations, exactly how will this all boost ridership...? 

I think boosting ridership is CT's least worry right now.

I don't have any insight information but what I assume is safety and staffing issues are probably their biggest focus right now. Both factors that are wildly out of their control due to the pandemic. Name one industry that isn't experiencing some level of staffing issue right now.