Jump to content

Calgary Transit


kevlo86
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not bad. Took me a while to find the Route Maps (which is what I use the site most for) before I realized it was right in the middle of the home page! I can't stand how the PDF route maps now download to my computer as files rather than open instantly in a new tab like they did previously however.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only thing to remember if you’re looking for maps - it will only show you the maps for the routes that are running on the schedule day you have selected. For example, you can’t pull up school route maps if your schedule date is set for a Sunday. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nick B said:

Not bad. Took me a while to find the Route Maps (which is what I use the site most for) before I realized it was right in the middle of the home page! I can't stand how the PDF route maps now download to my computer as files rather than open instantly in a new tab like they did previously however.

Agreed - plus side though: anyone who doesn't have a working phone plan/living off wifi, or any seniors using their phones & especially late-nite transit riders needing to make sure they don't miss their buses and get stuck in random corners of the city for hours on end (much harder to survive now with mandatory 10pm-6am restaurant closes and no nightlife), can have automatic route map downloads very easily for their own convenience and their own safety as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, Nick B said:

Not bad. Took me a while to find the Route Maps (which is what I use the site most for) before I realized it was right in the middle of the home page! I can't stand how the PDF route maps now download to my computer as files rather than open instantly in a new tab like they did previously however.

That may be your browser - almost all post-IE browsers do that now. Nor do they even offer the option of selecting how you want PDFs top open, even if your PDF reader (Adobe Acrobat DC for me) and/or your OS allow you to set a default app for PDFs or whatever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TechSpotlight said:

Interestingly enough, CT still printed 305 pocket schedules dated for the current schedule revision.

The change wasn’t officially made until near the end of February. Pocket schedules typically go to the printer immediately after the signup is perused and approved by the union (about 8 weeks before it starts.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/city-calgary-ctrain-network-social-disorder-1.5950604

Well, I guess I could probably shut up a little bit about the "social disorder" on the CTrains... kind of glad they're doing something about it now. I've been going between Anderson & Crowfoot on my days off, and the southbound Red trains late at night are getting pretty bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, downbeat said:

Gotta say I've never had an issue with the MyFare app … been using it since Day 1 and I quite like it!

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/unfair-fares-calgary-transit-customers-call-for-improvements-to-myfare-app-after-payment-glitches-1.5354486

Its alright for what it is, but if your phone dies it’s technically considered that you don’t have fare at that point and that’s a dealbreaker for me using it, and thus I still prefer buying paper passes and tickets. (Don’t forget, I was one of the original testers for the project before it rolled out, so there’s my 2 cents on it.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2021 at 5:11 PM, downbeat said:

Gotta say I've never had an issue with the MyFare app … been using it since Day 1 and I quite like it!

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/unfair-fares-calgary-transit-customers-call-for-improvements-to-myfare-app-after-payment-glitches-1.5354486

I used myFare on my last visit to Calgary last summer, using day passes. My experience with it was good, but battery life of my old phone was sometimes a potential issue, and I carried a power bank around with me just in case. I've since got a new phone with much better battery life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I have a question for those in Calgary, how would people there feel about a regional transit system similar to what is going to be implemented in the Edmonton area? 

I think there needs to be bus service going to a lot of the smaller communities in the Calgary area especially as people seem to be moving more out of the city. I also think it would help to build up these smaller towns more and create new job opportunities in those places as more people would be able to travel to go to work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brianc1981 said:

So I have a question for those in Calgary, how would people there feel about a regional transit system similar to what is going to be implemented in the Edmonton area? 

I think there needs to be bus service going to a lot of the smaller communities in the Calgary area especially as people seem to be moving more out of the city. I also think it would help to build up these smaller towns more and create new job opportunities in those places as more people would be able to travel to go to work.

Same thing as what I've been wanting for Winnipeg for years, when I was forced to work only jobs covered by Winnipeg Transit inside city limits (much like CT not serving Balzac): I'm 100% all for regional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2021 at 3:44 PM, armorand said:

Same thing as what I've been wanting for Winnipeg for years, when I was forced to work only jobs covered by Winnipeg Transit inside city limits (much like CT not serving Balzac): I'm 100% all for regional.

Or what happened in Ottawa starting almost 50 years ago. The service within the old smaller city was expanded region-wide, then the City and suburbs merged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who here remembers when monthly passes were called "Zipcards"? There's at least one preserved at the Central Library along with the even more archaic Strips and Tokens!

 

IMG_3019.JPEG

IMG_3020.JPEG

IMG_3021.JPEG

IMG_3027.JPEG

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Nick B said:

Who here remembers when monthly passes were called "Zipcards"? There's at least one preserved at the Central Library along with the even more archaic Strips and Tokens!

 

IMG_3019.JPEG

IMG_3020.JPEG

IMG_3021.JPEG

IMG_3027.JPEG

We ought to resurrect the Zipcard in the form of a smartcard you can use on the myfare readers, Zipcard of the Future or Zipcard 2.0 or something...haha

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All shields have been installed on active buses and all buses and Anderson will also be getting shortly.

 

Policy regarding operators wearing masks has been updated and is now in line and consistent with local and provincial legislation, which speak to employees protected by a certified and authorized shield/barrier being exempt. It is now optional for all operators when they are within the closed shield.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 10:28 PM, Nick B said:

Who here remembers when monthly passes were called "Zipcards"? There's at least one preserved at the Central Library along with the even more archaic Strips and Tokens!

I do, the high school version was called "Junior Zipcard". The ticket strips were typical of those that most Canadian transit systems sold; some may have sold sheets of several strips. I didn't know they ever had tokens. When did they drop the Zipcard name?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, downbeat said:

I notice there are no bus schedules visible on the Calgary Transit website beyond Sunday. It is safe to assume there are tweaks on the way? (Minor changes, presumably?)

A few weeks ago, there were several changes made to include extras on several routes, however they either tracked as OFF on T55 or not at all.  Its probably safe to assume the reason you cant see the schedules past Sunday is to reflect the changes made.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I checked the CT website again, and it looks like their tools have the updated schedules now. :)

 

I didn't take a close look but I see additional peak hour trips showing for routes like the 2 and 3.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

A few weeks ago, there were several changes made to include extras on several routes, however they either tracked as OFF on T55 or not at all.  Its probably safe to assume the reason you cant see the schedules past Sunday is to reflect the changes made.

I didn't realize, but CT have actually been supplying some basic route information for these buses, so Transit55 now displays that, and you can see a list of other "added" trips here: https://transit55.ca/calgary/addedtrips

Peak period trips only, I believe, so there's nothing showing on the site tonight and probably won't be until tomorrow morning - but the functionality should be ready to go. 😄

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 1604 said:

I didn't realize, but CT have actually been supplying some basic route information for these buses, so Transit55 now displays that […]

Very cool! Thanks for this! 😀

Is this the same info that allows for the "added departure" function in the Transit/CT app?

10 hours ago, 1604 said:

I didn't take a close look but I see additional peak hour trips showing for routes like the 2 and 3.

After a quick glance at select routes, I have also noticed weekday peak enhancements on Routes 14, 301, 302 and MAX Orange.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...