Calgary Transit

A whopping three Route 12 buses (one VP, one SG and one SF) all depart Fish Creek station within about two minutes of each other at around 15:00. 

The SF key becomes the 14 afterwards and the SG key becomes the 178.

Just thought this was interesting.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many of these run cuts are happening last minute based on manpower. What could be scheduled to run at 17:30 the night before when the run is cut could be cut by the next morning because that operator

A couple of things to point out to oppose your view point, as i am incredibly concerned by the stereotypes suggested in such a post. The statement of suggesting that “high or wasted” people ar

Community shuttle passengers will be asked to climb in through the emergency escape hatch.

Posted Images

On 10/15/2020 at 3:40 PM, yvarushin said:

A few 2010 Novas finally woke up from hibernation today :)

Next up: those Winnipeg D40LF's? Haven't seen 7964-7980 in ages, and winter sure brings out the best in Winnipeg specs, from previous experience on those back home before I moved here. 

9 hours ago, downbeat said:

I am going to guess there will be a service adjustment starting on Nov. 9. Currently, no bus schedules are available on the Calgary Transit website from that date onward. (CTrain schedules are visible until mid-December, though.)

Bus changes are being made on a weekly basis. They arent big changes. Schedule adjustments and adding a bus here and there.  Updates to real time data are being pushed every 4-5 weeks until the end of the signup. The next update is slated for November 9. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Bus changes are being made on a weekly basis. They arent big changes. Schedule adjustments and adding a bus here and there.  Updates to real time data are being pushed every 4-5 weeks until the end of the signup. The next update is slated for November 9. 

Will the coming winter temps throw on more bus & train service, to keep people out of -30 on reduced corona transit service? Or strictly on passenger numbers, for this winter?

Also asking because I noticed some of the stations in the south (Anderson) are still closed when we're about to go into November, and unsure if CT will open them up to prevent frostbite amongst riders (who may be waiting 30-60 mins for buses/20 mins for trains), or keep them closed to save costs for maintenance, peace officers time patrolling the buildings, etc etc - but at the cost of a warm wait inside of a shelter/station for anyone thats trying to use CT over the next few months. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nsCEO said:

What is it that operators do that make the destination sign display the route number only. Like "Route 78" for example. 

This is usually a result of some sort of CAD failure, the CAD system typically changes and programs the sign of the vehicle based on its geographical location. If there is an issue manual input is required. This often results in operators using the “route xx”. The reason to use route 20 instead of 20 Heritage is because if the operator forgets to change the sign there isn’t a false heading which could seriously impact people at places like Rockeyview hospital. 

To further answer your question “what is it that operators do” they would simply enter 78 on the key pad and select E function which puts up “route” and whatever digits you previously entered.

• Like 2

Also to mention, there are some routes where the CAD automatically changes the sign to an E code, such as the 41 and 85 for regular service routes, as well as routes 882 and 887 for school service.  Some of those examples dont even have the correct codes programmed in the signs as far as I know, while others do, but the CAD displays the E code anyway.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

Also to mention, there are some routes where the CAD automatically changes the sign to an E code, such as the 41 and 85 for regular service routes, as well as routes 882 and 887 for school service.  Some of those examples dont even have the correct codes programmed in the signs as far as I know, while others do, but the CAD displays the E code anyway.

you have such an eye for details!! Lol

AB Government approves $152M in infrastructure projects for Calgary

Of note to those of us here:

Building transit lanes, queue jumps and traffic signal upgrades along 52nd Street S.E.

There's not too much info on this yet but apparently all the proposed projects are shovel ready. I haven't read anything from the announcement yesterday that would indicate that we're getting a complete MAX level upgrade along 52nd St SE (although i'd love to be wrong). But whatever gets introduced will likely be a nice improvement for the 23 and 302.

• Like 1

I wonder if that behaviour is dependent on the model of the rollsign? The signs on the D60LFRs on Route 3, for example, have displayed “HERITAGE STN” in large type over one row for quite some time now. But I think whenever there’s been a Nova CNG bus on the route, those signs have displayed “HERITAGE STATION” in smaller type over two rows.

16 hours ago, R. Meu said:

Spotted a new info board for the layover 2 and 4 Stop in downtown. Kinda strange for it being there.

It would be nice to have paper bus routes & schedule displays in public, again. Outside of the LRT stations in Calgary, theres virtually no bus schedule displays or route maps on public info boards. Even in Winnipeg, you'd be hard-pressed not to be able to find at least the basic routes on displays along Graham or Portage. Downtown Calgary & the major suburban bus centres should all have schedules & route maps on public info boards. Especially if, just like the bus routes outside Suncor, they happen to be the highest frequency bus routes within inner Calgary with the higher ridership & expectations for public transit. If there can't be an orange LED display at every single stop, they should at least put up some public maps and schedules to make up for it. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, downbeat said:

I was just peeking at the blocks on Transit55 that go into effect on Monday. If I’m looking at things correctly, it appears Transit is going back to not using articulated buses at night on weekdays.

But the 52 gets big buses again!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, downbeat said:

I was just peeking at the blocks on Transit55 that go into effect on Monday. If I’m looking at things correctly, it appears Transit is going back to not using articulated buses at night on weekdays.

Probably a good thing for those D60LFR's. Route 23 is virtually dead after 7pm in the SE. Same with the 302s northbound. Unless the 23 is extended further north/south, or if Elon Musk decides to drop a gigafactory in Seton or something, theres not really much reason to keep 60 footers on these routes, is there? I could see the artics filling up if the 23 was extended down 52nd to the hospital (if they clawed back the 302 to McKenzie Towne), or extended north past Saddletowne, but otherwise? The current routing and employment/travel demands along 52nd Street just don't really suffice the need for 23 artics after 6-7pm.