Jump to content
kevlo86

Calgary Transit

Recommended Posts

Got on the train NB@FCLS at 7am today and reached 1st St with a fully seated car.

On train heading back now and another fully seater car.

Sadly only 1 in 3 people are wearing masks.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yvarushin said:

Got on the train NB@FCLS at 7am today and reached 1st St with a fully seated car.

On train heading back now and another fully seater car.

Sadly only 1 in 3 people are wearing masks.

Yeah I've been taking the 38, around 6:30, and around 17:00. Its been getting more and more packed, to the point where people are standing again. I understand transit is in an extreme budget crunch but if people continue to start going back to work the frequency on some routes will have to start increasing again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bridlewood-bound 14 outbound from Somerset station was very full around 4 this afternoon also.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nick B said:

The Bridlewood-bound 14 outbound from Somerset station was very full around 4 this afternoon also.

And that one is the only feeder route with 15 minute service still!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blake M said:

And that one is the only feeder route with 15 minute service still!

The west side of the 14 has always been a busy route. There even used to be an artic key on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, yvarushin said:

Got on the train NB@FCLS at 7am today and reached 1st St with a fully seated car.

On train heading back now and another fully seater car.

Sadly only 1 in 3 people are wearing masks.

Quick question for CT higher-ups on here: please tell me there's not going to be mandatory masks & physically ripping people off the public transportation system for not wearing one, right...?

As for the rest: I've noticed the same thing, the trains are loading up quite a bit now, and the 302 is now at half-seated 40 footers (or fully seated, counting the stickers). Which is good. 

Haven't noticed much else on transit, but then again, I mostly just take the 4/5/92/302 and sometimes the train, since I moved to the NE. They could boost 302 service a little better... but then again, if CT is going to remove non-masked riders by force with mandatory mask rules... ridership gains will be completely lost & we'll all be back at square one with massive ridership losses & service cutbacks, as a result of scaring off potential riders who cannot fork out money for masks - or who can't wear them due to medical, or conscientious & objectionable reasons. 

Calgary Transit since the Fall 2019 cutbacks, has taken quite a beating to be honest, especially cutting service to the SE, other feeder services as well, and the continuing implosion of Calgarys economy (also affecting ridership) - and that was *before* the virus. Is it wise of Calgary Transit (and the City of Calgary by extension) to completely implode whats left of transit ridership, service coverage and the system as a whole, by issuing mandatory mask laws and forcing people to wear one, or else (as air travel has recently proven)? Just seems a little extreme, and just in terms of enforcement alone, it's going to drain even more out of the transit budget, to the point where there might not even be any transit service left... unless everyones okay with an IndyGO/DDOT level of service on 20 routes, every hour or two (if it shows up at all), which barely connects with remaining centres of employment? Just seems like a horrible idea.

Coming from a former Winnipegger who has seen transit cuts and service stretching to the max, with adverse consequences for Winnipeg Transit, and for the economy of the City of Winnipeg (suburban jobs without adequate transit, or loss of urban coverage to cover suburbia) - as a city with massive unemployment growing by the day, and to be brutally honest, an extremely fed up & angry populace about to burst at the seams - is it wise for Calgary to make things any worse, for its municipal services, including Calgary Transit - along with what's left of the municipal tax base - by cutting back on services and wasting money, time & personnel on mask enforcement, when other things could be done instead?

Edited by armorand
cutting off at 4th paragraph didn't complete the reply wholly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure CT would be making a decision like that alone - it's either going to come from the Province or passed as a bylaw through City Council (as noted by Nenshi last week at the MyFare press conference).  If not enough people wear them voluntarily, then a bylaw would be put in place.  As for "ripping people off" buses and trains, that's not something operators would be doing, and there's not enough peace officers for full constant monitoring and enforcement, especially on buses.

I'm sure there's some people that may have some legitimate reason they can't wear a mask, but for the most part, it's just people not wanting to do it.  CT has been handing out masks for free from the Province for the last few weeks, so there's really not much reason for people not to wear them.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, armorand said:

Quick question for CT higher-ups on here: please tell me there's not going to be mandatory masks & physically ripping people off the public transportation system for not wearing one, right...?

As for the rest: I've noticed the same thing, the trains are loading up quite a bit now, and the 302 is now at half-seated 40 footers (or fully seated, counting the stickers). Which is good. 

Haven't noticed much else on transit, but then again, I mostly just take the 4/5/92/302 and sometimes the train, since I moved to the NE. They could boost 302 service a little better... but then again, if CT is going to remove non-masked riders by force with mandatory mask rules... ridership gains will be completely lost & we'll all be back at square one with massive ridership losses & service cutbacks, as a result of scaring off potential riders who cannot fork out money for masks - or who can't wear them due to medical, or conscientious & objectionable reasons. 

Calgary Transit since the Fall 2019 cutbacks, has taken quite a beating to be honest, especially cutting service to the SE, other feeder services as well, and the continuing implosion of Calgarys economy (also affecting ridership) - and that was *before* the virus. Is it wise of Calgary Transit (and the City of Calgary by extension) to completely implode whats left of transit ridership, service coverage and the system as a whole, by issuing mandatory mask laws and forcing people to wear one, or else (as air travel has recently proven)? Just seems a little extreme, and just in terms of enforcement alone, it's going to drain even more out of the transit budget, to the point where there might not even be any transit service left... unless everyones okay with an IndyGO/DDOT level of service on 20 routes, every hour or two (if it shows up at all), which barely connects with remaining centres of employment? Just seems like a horrible idea.

Coming from a former Winnipegger who has seen transit cuts and service stretching to the max, with adverse consequences for Winnipeg Transit, and for the economy of the City of Winnipeg (suburban jobs without adequate transit, or loss of urban coverage to cover suburbia) - as a city with massive unemployment growing by the day, and to be brutally honest, an extremely fed up & angry populace about to burst at the seams - is it wise for Calgary to make things any worse, for its municipal services, including Calgary Transit - along with what's left of the municipal tax base - by cutting back on services and wasting money, time & personnel on mask enforcement, when other things could be done instead?

I don't think the city will have peace officers enforcing mask wearing unless the province or city creates a public health order making them mandatory and provide the resources to do so. I doubt most operators would enforce it even if transit asked them to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't the MP been travelling counter-clockwise through East Hills and using that southbound stop for a while now? I've never actually taken it to/from East Hills but every time i've seen one going through the area, it was going counter-clockwise.

On that note, looks like construction of the adjacent Belvedere community is starting to ramp up in the area. It'll be nice to see the MP/68/440 serving more than just retail/commercial over the coming years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't the MP been travelling counter-clockwise through East Hills and using that southbound stop for a while now? I've never actually taken it to/from East Hills but every time i've seen one going through the area, it was going counter-clockwise.

On that note, looks like construction of the adjacent Belvedere community is starting to ramp up in the area. It'll be nice to see the MP/68/440 serving more than just retail/commercial over the coming years.

And a trailer park... 😛

8 hours ago, downbeat said:

Just announced service changes, effective Monday.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/news/july-13-2020-service-changes

A few late-night trip deletions in the east. 

Big improvements to Route 43 at rush hour.

Curious why they didn't increase it on the 302 and some others seeing sizable ridership... but more service on the 43 definitely helps. Assuming Chinook Centre is starting to pack the trains and buses like crazy, just like olden times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Transit Fan said:

[…] hasn't the MP been travelling counter-clockwise through East Hills and using that southbound stop for a while now?

I've noticed that sometimes, these service adjustment notices serve as retroactive acknowledgements of changes that have already happened … so it's quite possible that the new stop for East Hills is old news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't the MP been travelling counter-clockwise through East Hills and using that southbound stop for a while now? I've never actually taken it to/from East Hills but every time i've seen one going through the area, it was going counter-clockwise.

It has been going south on East Hills Square, even though technically the route has had it going north on East Hills Square. The stop has been on the northbound side of the street so I guess finally they moved the stop to the southbound side of the road. Funny thing is, they just installed a bus shelter on the northbound side of the street.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6077 observed entering downtown EB on Route 1. Transit55 shows this vehicle hasn’t been in service since April 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, downbeat said:

6077 observed entering downtown EB on Route 1. Transit55 shows this vehicle hasn’t been in service since April 2. 

And that bus is out of SF, and indicating SF on T55!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nick B said:

And that bus is out of SF, and indicating SF on T55!

I wonder if that has more to do with the fact that it hasn’t been out on the road for 3+ months. 
(Also, I later noticed this bus was changed off before the end of rush hour.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yvarushin said:

K-12 is a go for September. Here come the expresses!

As long as the rest of us aren't forced to cram onto a non-express bus running at bare minimal frequencies. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The amalgamated transit union local 583, that represents operators, recently announced their members (community shuttle operators) have been selected for this on demand service using Transit vehicles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

The amalgamated transit union local 583, that represents operators, recently announced their members (community shuttle operators) have been selected for this on demand service using Transit vehicles.

So will it be more Sprinter vans or will the service use arbocs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, downbeat said:

Welp

 

 

With that announcement, it also makes me wonder how well ridership has held up with other routes in those areas, and to some extent, if the West LRT was really worth building or not given how the ridership is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...