Calgary Transit

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many of these run cuts are happening last minute based on manpower. What could be scheduled to run at 17:30 the night before when the run is cut could be cut by the next morning because that operator

A couple of things to point out to oppose your view point, as i am incredibly concerned by the stereotypes suggested in such a post. The statement of suggesting that “high or wasted” people ar

Community shuttle passengers will be asked to climb in through the emergency escape hatch.

Posted Images

Was able to observe the west leg of Route 1 at various times of the day today, both on board and from the sidewalk. 

• My eastbound bus seemed surprisingly well-patronized for 2 p.m.-ish, with 8-10 people on board by the time we reached Kensington. I was the last to leave the vehicle when it got to Bow Valley Square.
  • Saw another eastbound at about 10:30 this morning, with 15-20 people heading into downtown.
  • And at about 9 p.m., I saw a westbound bus leaving downtown with just about as many people on board.

Also observed a southbound Route 3 unloading about 15 people at James Short Parkade around 2:30.

I can't really compare my observations with any relevant experiences during the deepest parts of the COVID-19 lockdown period … is this sort of passenger load typical at the moment? Or does that sound busier than it's been of late, at those hours?

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

Was able to observe the west leg of Route 1 at various times of the day today, both on board and from the sidewalk. 

• My eastbound bus seemed surprisingly well-patronized for 2 p.m.-ish, with 8-10 people on board by the time we reached Kensington. I was the last to leave the vehicle when it got to Bow Valley Square.
  • Saw another eastbound at about 10:30 this morning, with 15-20 people heading into downtown.
  • And at about 9 p.m., I saw a westbound bus leaving downtown with just about as many people on board.

Also observed a southbound Route 3 unloading about 15 people at James Short Parkade around 2:30.

I can't really compare my observations with any relevant experiences during the deepest parts of the COVID-19 lockdown period … is this sort of passenger load typical at the moment? Or does that sound busier than it's been of late, at those hours?

I’ve been WFH this whole time (I work in DT). I went to my office to grab some tech a couple days ago and I noticed people in business attire walking on the streets. A lot of offices are open now in DT. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

From yesterday: either this bus never got them or CT is starting to remove the stickers that blocked off seats for physical distancing.

From what ive heard from someone that works in service lane, upwards of a thousand signs have had to be replaced. It is believed that the public in revolt to the policies are removing/defacing signage. Bus and LRT.

• Confused 1

I've been riding the buses for the past couple months, and never seen anyone physically tear them off or anything. Maybe its just wear and tear? That or someone getting caught with a sticker to their clothing? Or maybe some weakened adhesive due to static charges? I'm opposed to segregating bus and LRT seats, but I just don't think people are actively ripping off the signage. However, I'm concerned at the level of vandalism at McKenzie Towne, where glass has been deliberately shattered over the weekend at least twice, with signs of substance abuse littered around the bus shelters... if people wanted to take out their frustrations on CT, I just believe they would be more outright, as opposed to passively-agressively ripping off stickers. For example, the riots in the states actively targetting LACMTA, NYTA and others. 

6 hours ago, armorand said:

I've been riding the buses for the past couple months, and never seen anyone physically tear them off or anything. Maybe its just wear and tear? That or someone getting caught with a sticker to their clothing? Or maybe some weakened adhesive due to static charges? I'm opposed to segregating bus and LRT seats, but I just don't think people are actively ripping off the signage. However, I'm concerned at the level of vandalism at McKenzie Towne, where glass has been deliberately shattered over the weekend at least twice, with signs of substance abuse littered around the bus shelters... if people wanted to take out their frustrations on CT, I just believe they would be more outright, as opposed to passively-agressively ripping off stickers. For example, the riots in the states actively targetting LACMTA, NYTA and others. 

Well you know just cause you don't see it happening doesn't mean its not happening. As well, what substance abuse evidence are you seeing? I travel through McKenzie Towne Terminal semi-frequently and really haven't been seeing anything of the sorts, neither day nor night.

6 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Well you know just cause you don't see it happening doesn't mean its not happening.

Gotta agree with that statement whole heartedly. As most members on this board are aware, I’ve been an insider on this board for over 8 years, who has a track record for providing accurate and substantiated information.

With that being said, There is evidence that substantiates how signage has gone missing and how signage is being defaced.

I took a series 9 for a spin in revenue service last month. Within half a trip, both my chains were ripped down, several signs were defaced and the social distance sign on my cab door was ripped off my cab between crowfoot and dalhouse...as i was driving...

The adhesive used for these stickers is the same adhesive for the stickers that are on the wheel wells, that have been on some buses for upwards of 20 years, some of which have never had to be replaced, despite bags and backpacks being placed on them, people sitting on them, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, armorand said:

I've been riding the buses for the past couple months, and never seen anyone physically tear them off or anything. Maybe its just wear and tear? That or someone getting caught with a sticker to their clothing? Or maybe some weakened adhesive due to static charges? I'm opposed to segregating bus and LRT seats, but I just don't think people are actively ripping off the signage....

if people wanted to take out their frustrations on CT, I just believe they would be more outright, as opposed to passively-agressively ripping off stickers. For example, the riots in the states actively targetting LACMTA, NYTA and others. 

I don't know what to make of this.

Please enlighten us with details on riots in the US that are targeting LACMTA, NYTA and others. 

I'm not looking for incidental damage to transit equipment due to civil unrest that started in Minneapolis. 

You've said specifically riots targeting transit, and in the context of people disagreeing with social distancing signage on buses. 

You must really believe the worst in people if you genuinely "believe they would be more outright" in their aggression because of signage on bus seats. 

I've certainly seen people ripping off the signs on buses. In Edmonton granted. Saw it twice. And a lot of Edmonton's are cable tied on. Can't blame static electricity weakening the adhesive when those are missing. 

• 2 weeks later...

My Fare Mobile Ticketing System - coming July 1, 2020

The app is free to download and will be available July 1 on Google Play or the App Store.

If you’d like, you can create an account using your myID account information. If not, you will just need to provide a valid email address to enable a receipt to be emailed to you for the purchase your product.

My Fare is free to download. Fare products purchased using the app cost the same as those purchased from our vendors or at a ticket vending machine (there are no additional fees).

You can purchase a product using a credit card. My Fare currently accepts Visa/Visa Debit and Mastercard/Mastercard Debit and American Express. Payment can also be made through ApplePay.

FAQ: http://www.calgarytransit.com/MyFare

• Like 5

First day back of front-boarding and full fare enforcement... some certain people didn't take it too well in Downtown, but noticed ridership was down from the 2/5/302 - presuming that lack of fare checks and the reardoor boarding for the past few months might've artificially kept ridership at a Winnipeg Transit level ("100,000 boardings a day") when the reality was probably much worse.

Bright side: no shortage of riders on the MP or the 23. From what I've seen so far, today - that is.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, downbeat said:

But also keep in mind Canada Day was essentially like a weekend, too. Perhaps Thursday and Friday might give you/us a better indication of what typical ridership will be like?

Im going back to the office (DT) on a daily basis so I'll make sure to report my observations. I'm debating between the train and MAX Yellow.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, downbeat said:

But also keep in mind Canada Day was essentially like a weekend, too. Perhaps Thursday and Friday might give you/us a better indication of what typical ridership will be like?

True... rode the 92 from 130 ave to Anderson (6 people max), train from Anderson to Downtown (half seated load, some standees), and 5 from Downtown up Edmonton Trail - where there was at least 15 onboard, and one guy at the 1 Ave NE stop who nearly broke the back door from the outside, when the driver sped off after loading at the front for almost 30 seconds. Assuming he wanted his free ride... 

The routes are gaining pace, routes to employment centres are still nice & busy - but maybe because of what appears to be boiling blowback over the end of "free" transit... CT could probably send some peace officers out to the surrounding bus stops & neighborhoods within walking distance of Downtown, to maybe de-escalate things? It just seems like they're getting extremely violent and angry at the end of the free rides, and maybe CT should try to de-escalate this ASAP before it becomes a problem across the rest of the transit system? 

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

Its going to be extremely hard to rise up from economic hell, without Stampede to give impetus to Calgary's economy... I'm also assuming that theres no extra service coming over the summer either? 65-70% ridership reductions is better than 80-90% - but some extra frequency across the system would be nice?