kevlo86

Calgary Transit

12 minutes ago, armorand said:

Route 3, could try short-turning the buses in downtown and running them to the north only.

They used to do something similar to that years ago when artics only ran on the north portion of the route. Bringing that back in some form would be a great idea.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, yvarushin said:

I bet you the NE routes are in for a serious chop.

I have noticed a superior level of service in many areas of the northeast — but because I’m not often out that way I hesitate to suggest anything as I can’t tell if any of those routes have a high enough ridership to sustain the currently offered frequency.

Also keep mind roads in some routes/neighbourhoods are designed in such a way it would that make it difficult to interline and increase efficiency. What seems like overkill to us might just be the best use of resources, or very close.

29 minutes ago, Blake M said:

I like the approach of Edmonton in it's northwest industrial section where they run maybe 5 different routes during rush hour and then one long route all other times. Provides coverage, but for the actual amount of people riding the bus. I feel like a similar concept could maybe work here, combing the 149/150, and the 147/148.

That’s a good idea.  Me and another board member were talking about this the other day, as a combined 147, 148 and 149 starting at Chinook Station, covering the same area as the 147-149 snd then finishing at 39 Avenue Stn.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, yvarushin said:

I'm down in Auburn Bay, so bright side, i won't have to deal with it haha

Seriously though, as long as the 23 stays at McKenzie Towne and if it doesnt get any worse to get to Somerset from the SE hospital, I will probably live. 

4 hours ago, Transit Fan said:
  • Remove 440, extend 68 and force transfers to MP
    • 17th Ave SE really doesn't need 4 routes running on it
    • You technically have better connections with the various routes crossing 68th St which all connect to the Blue line

This idea is interesting but it might not lead to any savings. It currently takes two buses to give Route 68 a headway of 35 minutes. Extend the route to Chateau Estates and you'd have to add a third bus to keep the frequency more or less the same. On the other hand, Chateau Estates would get slightly better frequency out of this — 35 instead of 45 minutes.

17 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Also keep mind roads in some routes/neighbourhoods are designed in such a way it would that make it difficult to interline and increase efficiency. What seems like overkill to us might just be the best use of resources, or very close.

I'll admit, anything in post-1981 Calgary might be difficult for interlines (unless CT starts ripping out houses and building bus loops),  but the older suburnan neighborhoods and industrial areas would still work well for it, particularly Forest Lawn and anywhere between 39th Avenue and Southland Drive.

15 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

That’s a good idea.  Me and another board member were talking about this the other day, as a combined 147, 148 and 149 starting at Chinook Station, covering the same area as the 147-149 snd then finishing at 39 Avenue Stn.  

Agreed - or even better yet, loop the 23 through the 149 industrial portion, while you combine the 147 and 148, redesignate the Southern terminus at Anderson and the northern terminus to Chinook. If anyone wants an in-between, force them to use MT, or create a new route during peak hours to go directly from Anderson to Shepard (theres dozens of employers out in Shepard and technically it is part of the city of Calgary) and then force riders to transfer onto that route, to avoid 40ish minutes on the 92/96, while also giving a basic service east towards Shepard. Even running every 45 minutes, I'd rather wait a little longer and get to Anderson faster, than to transfer onto the 92/96 and be forced to grudge through the suburbs to get to Anderson... 

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

This idea is interesting but it might not lead to any savings. It currently takes two buses to give Route 68 a headway of 35 minutes. Extend the route to Chateau Estates and you'd have to add a third bus to keep the frequency more or less the same. On the other hand, Chateau Estates would get slightly better frequency out of this — 35 instead of 45 minutes.

I guess I was also thinking that they bump the frequency of the 68 to 40 minutes.

-

For the industrial area, I really think we would be better off with similar routes to the old 409 versus the new grid routes. Sure, the grid allowed them to service new areas east of 52nd St but the overall service in that area has probably decreased significantly given that a few industrial routes have very limited evening and/or weekend service.

Let's use the 147 for example. 50th Ave on its own is pretty dead. Back when the old 23 was running, 50th Ave still had decent service including late night and weekends. Not because 50th Ave is a big destination itself but because it connected to big destinations on both ends. Now that we have a bus solely dedicated to serving 50th Ave, the lack of ridership is a lot more apparent. Perhaps that level service on 50th Ave isn't warranted, but the old 23 did allow for decent service without them really needing to go out of their way to do so.

I think the same applies for some of the other routes as well. On their own, ridership is low, but if you can find a good way to combine them, the busier areas help to offset some of the less busier areas while still making it possible to provide service to the less busier areas.

Edit: Perhaps 50th Ave was a bad example. After staring at a map, I remembered how much of 50th Ave the old 23 didn't actually cover.

2 hours ago, yvarushin said:

I wouldn't doubt it, if they did I would say the 21/55/71 would be taking a hit, and maybe with the 57 too.

1 hour ago, Transit Fan said:

I guess I was also thinking that they bump the frequency of the 68 to 40 minutes.

-

For the industrial area, I really think we would be better off with similar routes to the old 409 versus the new grid routes. Sure, the grid allowed them to service new areas east of 52nd St but the overall service in that area has probably decreased significantly given that a few industrial routes have very limited evening and/or weekend service.

Let's use the 147 for example. 50th Ave on its own is pretty dead. Back when the old 23 was running, 50th Ave still had decent service including late night and weekends. Not because 50th Ave is a big destination itself but because it connected to big destinations on both ends. Now that we have a bus solely dedicated to serving 50th Ave, the lack of ridership is a lot more apparent. Perhaps that level service on 50th Ave isn't warranted, but the old 23 did allow for decent service without them really needing to go out of their way to do so.

I think the same applies for some of the other routes as well. On their own, ridership is low, but if you can find a good way to combine them, the busier areas help to offset some of the less busier areas while still making it possible to provide service to the less busier areas.

Edit: Perhaps 50th Ave was a bad example. After staring at a map, I remembered how much of 50th Ave the old 23 didn't actually cover.

Well if you look at the stop placement of along 50th, the 147 really doesn't serve much more than the old 23/72/73. So you're not at all wrong. 

I really do love the concept of a grid route network. You can see where it works, Chicago, Manhattan, Vancouver, Toronto, etc. The problem Calgary faces is that to have a proper grid network, you need the frequency to make it work. We don't have that because the ridership compared to the aforementioned cities is so much lower. Having passengers to connect to the 1/MP from say the 23 and 43 from the industrial parks should work fine, but the connections are near impossible to make. 

55 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Having passengers to connect to the 1/MP from say the 23 and 43 from the industrial parks should work fine, but the connections are near impossible to make. 

They could try having a bus route directly from Marlborough/Franklin to 52nd St. It would cross 1/MP and boost service. Or in case of transit cuts,  remove the need for 1 to be in Forest Lawn, take over the routing, keep MP as it is, and then make its way down into the SE. So boosting service, solving the transfer problem, and cutting service hours all wrapped into one neat little package.

Something noteworthy in news coverage of the budget cut, from this article:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/here-are-some-key-details-from-the-citys-60-million-budget-cut

"One of the largest cuts in the package will be felt immediately by Calgarians who use transit to get around. Approximately 80,000 hours of service will be cut, resulting in less frequent bus and CTrain service on weekends and weekdays, according to the city. While individual routes likely won’t be cancelled, transit riders could see increased “spacing” between trains and buses, particularly in off-peak hours."

(Although I'm not sure what exactly is meant by "weekends and weekdays" — it's written this way in the city document too.)

Interesting that they mention off peak hours in particular. We've seen it happen with the 1 already. I suspect other busy routes will see similar cuts if they're currently in the 10-20 minutes off-peak range. E.g. 15 to 20, 20 to 25-30.

I really hope feeder buses arent hit too hard. 30 mins really should be the bare minimum. When you get higher than that, transit really becomes an inconvenience especially if you're dealing with transfers.

• Like 1

Interesting that they mention off peak hours in particular. We've seen it happen with the 1 already. I suspect other busy routes will see similar cuts if they're currently in the 10-20 minutes off-peak range. E.g. 15 to 20, 20 to 25-30.

I really hope feeder buses arent hit too hard. 30 mins really should be the bare minimum. When you get higher than that, transit really becomes an inconvenience especially if you're dealing with transfers.

The 3 I think is going to be cut to 15 minute frequency on weekends. People will notice the slight change, but it’s going to be interesting to see if less people use it or not. The 2, 4, and 5 might have one bus taken out on their respective routes meaning 30 minute frequency or worse. That has the ability to drive even more people away from taking the bus on the weekends, given that they have steady ridership during those times.

• Like 1

Good timing since the Fall schedule usually starts up around that time anyway.

Although I wonder how many of the changes were already going to happen versus ones that are directly a result of the budget cuts.

• Like 1

Good timing since the Fall schedule usually starts up around that time anyway.

Although I wonder how many of the changes were already going to happen versus ones that are directly a result of the budget cuts.

I'd say quite a few, and getting around on the weekends will be that much more difficult in the sense of missing connections, and waiting too long for a bus to show up.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

Pretty crazy detour for the 58 this evening due to a CN Rail train derailment at 50th Ave near 25th St SE. It must be blocking the tracks at 36th St as well.

https://twitter.com/calgarytransit/status/1156389256073490433?s=20

Wow, that's quite something. Had to pull up a map to follow along! Hope everything is sorted by morning rush …

5 hours ago, downbeat said:

Wow, that's quite something. Had to pull up a map to follow along! Hope everything is sorted by morning rush …

Looks like the 147 is on detour this morning. 50th Ave is where the actual derailment was. They must've decoupled the train enough to unblock 36th St SE and Peigan Trail for this morning.

I don’t know how many time we (different riders) have told Transit’s social media team this is not normal, yet they keep insisting it is. 

The only time red indicator =next arrival of any train is during planned disruptions. The rest of the time, blue line times are always blue and red line times are always red. 

The inconsistency is a bit confusing for some but we’re repeatedly told there’s nothing to fix.  

• Like 2

Will any of the newer D40LF units ever be refurbished? 75% of Calgary Transit's buses are still 40 foot toasters. Which gets pretty gnarly on really hot days. Let's not mention sweaty butt prints on the "leather" seats of some vehicles. Would be nice to get some Air conditioning in some of them. 

31 minutes ago, nsCEO said:

Will any of the newer D40LF units ever be refurbished? 75% of Calgary Transit's buses are still 40 foot toasters. Which gets pretty gnarly on really hot days. Let's not mention sweaty butt prints on the "leather" seats of some vehicles. Would be nice to get some Air conditioning in some of them. 

Chances are when they do get rebuilt or refurbished they won't come with Air Conditioning. They probably will stay that way until they retire.

2 hours ago, nsCEO said:

Check out this old news story (from 2015) discussing the possibility of retrofitting all Edmonton transit buses with air conditioning. It's not cheap — to the point where even the head of the transit union there didn't think it would ultimately be a realistic idea.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2305847/adding-air-conditioning-to-ets-buses-a-no-go-says-one-edmonton-councillor/